Admin can but a normal user can't print in other client's ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

Hi,

If I login into my terminal services server (Windows 2000 sp4) as
administrator, I can see and print in the local printers of the users
currently connected to the terminal server. But if I connect as a normal
user, I can see only the printer attached to my PC. How can I do for a
normal terminal server user to "see" and print into the printer of other
normal user?

Thanks in advance
Sammy
8 answers Last reply
More about admin normal user print client
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    You can't. This is by design.
    If multiple users have a need to print to a particular printer, make
    the printer available as a shared printer in the network.

    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

    "SammyBar" <SammyBar@gmail.com> wrote on 09 jun 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If I login into my terminal services server (Windows 2000 sp4)
    > as administrator, I can see and print in the local printers of
    > the users currently connected to the terminal server. But if I
    > connect as a normal user, I can see only the printer attached to
    > my PC. How can I do for a normal terminal server user to "see"
    > and print into the printer of other normal user?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Sammy
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    > You can't. This is by design.
    > If multiple users have a need to print to a particular printer, make
    > the printer available as a shared printer in the network.
    The printer is shared on the PC (Windows XP) connected to the internet
    through an ADSL connection on a remote place. I connect to the terminal
    server from the office's LAN as administrator and can see and print into the
    remote printer. If I connect as a member of the "Power Users" group (local
    group at the terminal services PC) I can also see and print the remote
    printer. If I connect as a normal user I can see only my printers.
    I don't want to add the user that needs this functionality to the power
    user's group. What rights or policies should I activate to allow this user
    print on the remote printer?

    Thanks for the reply
    Sammy
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Yes, I understand your question, and the answer is still the same:
    you can't do this.
    The redirected printer is autocreated from scratch on every
    connection. So it's no use to modify the security settings on the
    redirected printer itself, or give the users additional rights to
    manage printers. They will still not be on the Access Control List
    for the redirected printer. Only Power Users, Administrators and
    the owner of the printer is on the ACL of the printer.

    Install the printer on the Terminal Server. Then you can modify the
    security settings and give all users permission to use it.

    "SammyBar" <SammyBar@gmail.com> wrote on 10 jun 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

    > The printer is shared on the PC (Windows XP) connected to the
    > internet through an ADSL connection on a remote place. I connect
    > to the terminal server from the office's LAN as administrator
    > and can see and print into the remote printer. If I connect as a
    > member of the "Power Users" group (local group at the terminal
    > services PC) I can also see and print the remote printer. If I
    > connect as a normal user I can see only my printers. I don't
    > want to add the user that needs this functionality to the power
    > user's group. What rights or policies should I activate to allow
    > this user print on the remote printer?
    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    > Sammy
    >
    >> You can't. This is by design.
    >> If multiple users have a need to print to a particular printer,
    >> make the printer available as a shared printer in the network.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Hi Sammy,

    I Don't know if you're looking for a solution like this but if it's an XP
    computer (and I think only pro...). You can set up a local printer on the
    server printing to an LPR port on the remote computer. Ofcourse a jetdirect
    box orso could help you here as well. The trick is that you need a fixed ip
    address or dynamic dns updating correctly!

    Hope this will help you?!

    Gabriel.

    "SammyBar" <SammyBar@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
    >> You can't. This is by design.
    >> If multiple users have a need to print to a particular printer, make
    >> the printer available as a shared printer in the network.
    > The printer is shared on the PC (Windows XP) connected to the internet
    > through an ADSL connection on a remote place. I connect to the terminal
    > server from the office's LAN as administrator and can see and print into
    > the
    > remote printer. If I connect as a member of the "Power Users" group (local
    > group at the terminal services PC) I can also see and print the remote
    > printer. If I connect as a normal user I can see only my printers.
    > I don't want to add the user that needs this functionality to the power
    > user's group. What rights or policies should I activate to allow this user
    > print on the remote printer?
    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    > Sammy

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    > Yes, I understand your question, and the answer is still the same:
    > you can't do this.
    > The redirected printer is autocreated from scratch on every
    > connection. So it's no use to modify the security settings on the
    > redirected printer itself, or give the users additional rights to
    > manage printers. They will still not be on the Access Control List
    > for the redirected printer. Only Power Users, Administrators and
    > the owner of the printer is on the ACL of the printer.
    Ok, I got that. But I wonder is it posible to cook a script that
    automatically adds some users on the ACL of the redirected printer?

    > Install the printer on the Terminal Server. Then you can modify the
    > security settings and give all users permission to use it.
    I can't. I need to send prints to the remote user :-(

    Thanks for your patience
    Sammy
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    "SammyBar" <SammyBar@gmail.com> wrote on 10 jun 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

    >> Yes, I understand your question, and the answer is still the
    >> same: you can't do this.
    >> The redirected printer is autocreated from scratch on every
    >> connection. So it's no use to modify the security settings on
    >> the redirected printer itself, or give the users additional
    >> rights to manage printers. They will still not be on the Access
    >> Control List for the redirected printer. Only Power Users,
    >> Administrators and the owner of the printer is on the ACL of
    >> the printer.
    >
    > Ok, I got that. But I wonder is it posible to cook a script that
    > automatically adds some users on the ACL of the redirected
    > printer?

    No idea. Never tried. You might ask in a scripting newsgroup.

    >> Install the printer on the Terminal Server. Then you can modify
    >> the security settings and give all users permission to use it.
    > I can't. I need to send prints to the remote user :-(

    Yes, I understand that. What I mean is: make a connection to the
    printer from the Terminal Server. Since the printer is shared on
    the workstation, you should be able to install the printer on the
    Terminal Server as a network printer. Then all users of the
    Terminal Server will be able to use this network printer.

    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    > What I mean is: make a connection to the
    > printer from the Terminal Server. Since the printer is shared on
    > the workstation, you should be able to install the printer on the
    > Terminal Server as a network printer. Then all users of the
    > Terminal Server will be able to use this network printer.

    Sorry, it is some misunderstanding here: the printer is shared, but it is
    attached to the remote PC connected to terminal server. I can't browse that
    remote PC from my terminal server...
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    "SammyBar" <SammyBar@gmail.com> wrote on 11 jun 2005 in
    microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

    >> What I mean is: make a connection to the
    >> printer from the Terminal Server. Since the printer is shared
    >> on the workstation, you should be able to install the printer
    >> on the Terminal Server as a network printer. Then all users of
    >> the Terminal Server will be able to use this network printer.
    >
    > Sorry, it is some misunderstanding here: the printer is shared,
    > but it is attached to the remote PC connected to terminal
    > server. I can't browse that remote PC from my terminal server...

    OK, I see. Unfortunately, then I wouldn't know how to do what you
    want.
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

Microsoft Terminal Server Printers Windows