PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
: what is the default ram timings? i have Corsair twinX 2x 1g Cas2. The board is set to auto but what is that? Also when it is set to auto the CAS LAt is at 3? I see where i can change to manual, but when i do the system wont boot it just beeps with a black screen. I have no experience with ram timings or over clocking. i am not wishing to over clock but i am wanting to get what i paid for, not cas3 ram.

tyee_guy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I just got my A8n-SLI Premium up and running. I too used the cosair
TWINX1024-3200C2 memory. This is the value memory not the high
preformance memory sticks. My bios was version 1009 and it would work
until I updated to bios version 1011. I had to use another stick of memory
to get the MB up to a point that I could update the bios.

I know it isn't what you asked, but I hope it might help.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
: what is the default ram timings? i have Corsair twinX 2x 1g Cas2. The board is set to auto but what is that? Also when it is set to auto the CAS LAt is at 3? I see where i can change to manual, but when i do the system wont boot it just beeps with a black screen. I have no experience with ram timings or over clocking. i am not wishing to over clock but i am wanting to get what i paid for, not cas3 ram.

you have to set it tom manual ill be back in a sec to tell you what to set i got same board and ram as you so ill be back in a min.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok set the options to:

Memclock = 400
CAS# = 2.5
Min RAS = 6
RAS to CAS = 3
Row Precharge = 3
Read to Write = 6
Write Revovery = 3
1T/2T = 1T

now it should work that RAM defaults to slower timings dunno why something Corsair does.

TWINX1024-3200C2 memory. This is the value memory not the high

correct and wrong the only difference between this and the high end is the LEDs and heatsink thing. thats it.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145574 this stuff right? this is what i have. so if i change my timming to what you posted that will be better than auto?

yes it will be better than auto take a look at THIS

you should set the timings to what i have above you have exactly the same RAM as me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Read your freaking LINK! It says the RAM is rated at CAS 2, timings 2-2-2-6, when set at 2.75V!!!

You really need to read this stuff! That 2.75 should be taken as a "minimum", I'd go 2.8v. Go back into BIOS, set the RAM for 2.8v first, reboot, then set the timings to 2-2-2-6.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Read your freaking LINK! It says the RAM is rated at CAS 2, timings 2-2-2-6, when set at 2.75V!!!

You really need to read this stuff! That 2.75 should be taken as a "minimum", I'd go 2.8v. Go back into BIOS, set the RAM for 2.8v first, reboot, then set the timings to 2-2-2-6.
Please dont yell im a noob at this ram setting thing. I dont know what to change to 2-2-2-6.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
ok system running after ram setting change. New topic: Bios update. my bios version is 1008, 1) should i update this 2) will it help performance if i do 3) will it change my ram settings back to something that will make my system crash again?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're supposed to reset your BIOS stock before flashing, reset it again possibly after flashing, then make your changes again. Failure to do so is supposed to have great risks. I've never done any of that, I just flash, and most of the settings have stayed the same on various boards.

Anyway, there's supposed to be documentation on what the changes in BIOS were ment to correct, if you don't have any of the problems listed you won't see any advantage to updating it.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
ok, im getting full power shut offs after about 5min of running 3dmark. System just shuts off. light on mobo is green still, light on mouse (ps2) still on, lights on usb joystick off. I thought i had fixed this problem with the ram timings but it has reared its ugly head once again. Im thinking it is a heat issue, but i check my asus prob and nvidia settings and find that my system runs cool. mobo/cpu (idol)31c(load)41c GPU (idol) 33c (load) 47c so i dont think its these parts. im running Corsair ram 2g 1gx2 of cas2. what would be the recommended settings for this board and ram. Auto put it at cas3 266.
ok set the options to:

Memclock = 400
CAS# = 2.5
Min RAS = 6
RAS to CAS = 3
Row Precharge = 3
Read to Write = 6
Write Revovery = 3
1T/2T = 1T

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy, it's a different problem. I've seen it with CPU overheating, but since you say it's not that, it could be thermal protection in the power supply. This would indicate the power supply is being overstressed for an extended period of time.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
so should i send back my PSU? It is a Anetc 550 2.0. I thought that would be enough for a 4000+ and 1 7800gt (will be getting another in a couple of months.0 Is there a way to test a PSU? Should i take it to a shop?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The problem with testing the PSU is, you'd have to do it on a system with equal or slightly more load on the same lines. While problems have been reported with a few Antec power supplies, they seem rare and limited to very few configurations

Automatic shut down normally indicates a heat problem either with the CPU or, less often, the power supply. Also, overloading a single rail on the power supply can trip an automatic circuit breaker, where it can be powered back up immediately. So it looks like you have the possibilities reduced to an overheating CPU, a board that thinks the CPU has overheated, or the power supply.

It's fairly easy to check to see if your CPU temperatures are relevant to what the board is detecting: So long as the cooler is mounted properly, the sink should feel hot when the system shuts down, else it's probably the power supply.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I have the stock heatsink and fan on the cpu. Should i get a after market cooler? If so would this void my warrenty on the cpu? Sounds like i should get a different PSU as well. My 12v i noticed runs at about 11.77-11.9. is this to low?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
11.77 is too low. Your cooler should be fine as long as it's mounted correctly. I believe it came with a plastic sheet over a gummy substance that's used instead of paste, you remove the plastic sheet and install the cooler.

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
going to get a Zalman7700 and Return the PSU for a new one..... :(
edit: installed zalman with same PSU, same problems, but even worst. going to return PSU unless anyone thinks it could be something else. What would be symptoms of a bad mobo? bad ram? bad GPU? bad PSU? and the dreded CPU?

PartyChief

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Took it to a repair place to check voltages on componants. Bad power cable. system would not get farther then 5 sec of on time, change power cord and ran loops for 1.5 days. OMG so pissed. anetec thank you for a bad power cable and a heart condition.
Is a 18gauge cord enough for a 550w PSU?