2003 licence server on 2000 AD domain ?

Scott

Hi,

I have a 2000 AD domain and have added a 2003 member server to support pptp
and terminal services. My 2000 server has a licence server but i don't think
it can support licences for 2003 terminal services (i.e 2003 moans that no
licence server available)

1. can my 2000 server support licences for 2003 terminal services (i.e non
admin users) ?

2. if not , can i install a licence server on my 2003 member server and
leave the 2000 licences server as it is ?

Thanks for any advice.
Scott

1. No, a W2K server can not run the 2003 Licensing Service, because
it doesn't understand the new licensing types (Per User versus Per
Device).

2. Yes, installing the TS Licensing Service on the 2003 machine is no
problem. Make sure that the 2003 TS can locate the 2003 LS (you might
need to hardcode the address, even when they run on the same server):

279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"scott" <nospamscott@yahoo.com> wrote on 21 jun 2005:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 2000 AD domain and have added a 2003 member server to
> support pptp and terminal services. My 2000 server has a licence
> server but i don't think it can support licences for 2003
> terminal services (i.e 2003 moans that no licence server
> available)
>
> 1. can my 2000 server support licences for 2003 terminal
> services (i.e non admin users) ?
>
> 2. if not , can i install a licence server on my 2003 member
> server and leave the 2000 licences server as it is ?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Scott

Number 2.

http://www.workthin.com/tsls2k3.htm