Is there a way to resize a partition without reformatting?

I presented a System Restore problem below, and I believe the problem may be
the size of the patitions on my hard drive. Here is the situation:

Whenever I install a new program, XP creates a new system restore and
deletes
the old one. I can't create more than one SR. Maybe the problem is that
the partition on my C drive to small(?). If that is the problem, is there a
way to fix it without reinstalling XP.

I just installed XP on a new 80 GB hard drive. Here is the setup:

A: Floppy
C: Disk size 15.6 MB/10.3 free-has my documents and a few downloads.
D: When I click on this icon, it says disk not formatted, do you want to
format now.
E: Disk size 74.4 GB/71.8 free-has XP on this drive.

In System Restore:

C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)

"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I presented a System Restore problem below, and I believe the problem may be
>the size of the patitions on my hard drive. Here is the situation:
>
>Whenever I install a new program, XP creates a new system restore and
>deletes
>the old one. I can't create more than one SR. Maybe the problem is that
>the partition on my C drive to small(?). If that is the problem, is there a
>way to fix it without reinstalling XP.

Get a third-party partitionizing program from your local software
store. Windows XP cannot do this.

--
(tm)

You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's near
all filled up

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I presented a System Restore problem below, and I believe the problem may be
> >the size of the patitions on my hard drive. Here is the situation:
> >
> >Whenever I install a new program, XP creates a new system restore and
> >deletes
> >the old one. I can't create more than one SR. Maybe the problem is that
> >the partition on my C drive to small(?). If that is the problem, is there a
> >way to fix it without reinstalling XP.
>
> Get a third-party partitionizing program from your local software
> store. Windows XP cannot do this.
>
> --
> (tm)

Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had allocated
fod system restore.

In System Restore:

C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)

"Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
> restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's near
> all filled up
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
> > "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I presented a System Restore problem below, and I believe the problem
may be
> > >the size of the patitions on my hard drive. Here is the situation:
> > >
> > >Whenever I install a new program, XP creates a new system restore and
> > >deletes
> > >the old one. I can't create more than one SR. Maybe the problem is
that
> > >the partition on my C drive to small(?). If that is the problem, is
there a
> > >way to fix it without reinstalling XP.
> >
> > Get a third-party partitionizing program from your local software
> > store. Windows XP cannot do this.
> >
> > --
> > (tm)

System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:edaaNUuhEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had allocated
> fod system restore.
>
> In System Restore:
>
> C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
> E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)
>
> "Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
> > restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's near
> > all filled up

> may be

> that
> there a
> > >
> > > Get a third-party partitionizing program from your local software
> > > store. Windows XP cannot do this.
> > >
> > > --
> > > (tm)

Hi David.

Does this System Restore rule default to the partition with the smallest
amout of space. I have two partitions. One 15.6 MB with 10.3 free space
availabel (it has my documents and a few downloads) and another with 74.4 GB
with 71.8 free space (it has XP on it). I suspect the 15 MB partitions
(or drive) is the source of the problem. If it is, is it possible to turn
off system restore on the smaller drive ,and just use it on the larger one
with XP on it?

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had
allocated
> fod system restore.
>
> In System Restore:
>
> C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
> E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)
>
> "Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
> > restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's
near
> > all filled up

> may be

> that
> there a
> > >
> > > Get a third-party partitionizing program from your local software
> > > store. Windows XP cannot do this.
> > >
> > > --
> > > (tm)

It has already turned itself off on the small drive because there is less than 200MB free. It doen't affect the big drive.

I don't use SR at all as it's a dumb idea. But I just thought I'd tell you about the 200MB limit. So SR is NEVER going to work on C as it's smaller than 200MB.

"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uvSgGvuhEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi David.
>
> Does this System Restore rule default to the partition with the smallest
> amout of space. I have two partitions. One 15.6 MB with 10.3 free space
> availabel (it has my documents and a few downloads) and another with 74.4 GB
> with 71.8 free space (it has XP on it). I suspect the 15 MB partitions
> (or drive) is the source of the problem. If it is, is it possible to turn
> off system restore on the smaller drive ,and just use it on the larger one
> with XP on it?
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
>
> "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had
> allocated
> > fod system restore.
> >
> > In System Restore:
> >
> > C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
> > E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)
> >
> > "Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
> > > restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's
> near
> > > all filled up

> > may be

> > that
> > there a

I appreciate the info David, and also curious about your statement that it
is a dumb idea. Do you use a third party restore program or just don't like
them period. I used to use Second Chance on W98 and it saved my bacon a
number of times. I would love to use it on XP, but it was made by Power
Quest, since bought out by Symantec, and hasn't been supported in years.

Jmax

It has already turned itself off on the small drive because there is less
than 200MB free. It doen't affect the big drive.

I don't use SR at all as it's a dumb idea. But I just thought I'd tell you
about the 200MB limit. So SR is NEVER going to work on C as it's smaller
than 200MB.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi David.
>
> Does this System Restore rule default to the partition with the smallest
> amout of space. I have two partitions. One 15.6 MB with 10.3 free space
> availabel (it has my documents and a few downloads) and another with 74.4
GB
> with 71.8 free space (it has XP on it). I suspect the 15 MB partitions
> (or drive) is the source of the problem. If it is, is it possible to turn
> off system restore on the smaller drive ,and just use it on the larger one
> with XP on it?
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
>
> "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had
> allocated
> > fod system restore.
> >
> > In System Restore:
> >
> > C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
> > E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)
> >
> > "Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
> > > restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's
> near
> > > all filled up

> > may be

> > that
> > there a

Sorry Jmax, I guess that I didn't see your whole post. Just trying to help.
I don't understand why you would even want to partition this drive (lest you
were putting on an alternative OS) and then to such a small size. But, hey,
that's just me. As to Davids, comment about SR, I have been using Go Back
since I heard about it back in the 98SE days, and I agree with you that it
has saved 'my bacon' many times. A must have, as far as I'm concerned.

I would simply reformat and do away with the partitions and I don't think
you will have any further problems. Good luck.

"Jmax" wrote:

> I appreciate the info David, and also curious about your statement that it
> is a dumb idea. Do you use a third party restore program or just don't like
> them period. I used to use Second Chance on W98 and it saved my bacon a
> number of times. I would love to use it on XP, but it was made by Power
> Quest, since bought out by Symantec, and hasn't been supported in years.
>
> Jmax
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> It has already turned itself off on the small drive because there is less
> than 200MB free. It doen't affect the big drive.
>
> I don't use SR at all as it's a dumb idea. But I just thought I'd tell you
> about the 200MB limit. So SR is NEVER going to work on C as it's smaller
> than 200MB.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
>
> "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi David.
> >
> > Does this System Restore rule default to the partition with the smallest
> > amout of space. I have two partitions. One 15.6 MB with 10.3 free space
> > availabel (it has my documents and a few downloads) and another with 74.4
> GB
> > with 71.8 free space (it has XP on it). I suspect the 15 MB partitions
> > (or drive) is the source of the problem. If it is, is it possible to turn
> > off system restore on the smaller drive ,and just use it on the larger one
> > with XP on it?
> >

> > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.
> >
> > --
> > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
> >
> > "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had
> > allocated
> > > fod system restore.
> > >
> > > In System Restore:
> > >
> > > C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
> > > E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)
> > >
> > > "Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message
> > near

> problem
> > > may be

> and
> is
> > > that
> is
> > > there a

System restore does nothing to "my documents" (supposedly) the files in it are not of the monitored type, see "Monitored File Extensions http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/enus/sr/sr/about_system_restore.asp".

Yes, turn it off on your C partition. 15.6 MB is not very large for a partition, heck a ZIP 100 disk is 6 times the size.

I use TrueImage from www.acronis.com to image my system drive. Works easily and quickly.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23NQw%23GvhEHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
|I appreciate the info David, and also curious about your statement that it
| is a dumb idea. Do you use a third party restore program or just don't like
| them period. I used to use Second Chance on W98 and it saved my bacon a
| number of times. I would love to use it on XP, but it was made by Power
| Quest, since bought out by Symantec, and hasn't been supported in years.
|
| Jmax

Yeah, I agree about not needing to partition this drive. It was a mistake.

Jmax

> [...]
smallest
> > > amout of space. I have two partitions. One 15.6 MB with 10.3 free
space
> > > availabel (it has my documents and a few downloads) and another with
74.4
> > GB
> > > with 71.8 free space (it has XP on it). I suspect the 15 MB
partitions
> > > (or drive) is the source of the problem. If it is, is it possible to
turn
> > > off system restore on the smaller drive ,and just use it on the larger
one
> > > with XP on it?
> > >

> > > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.
> > >
> > > --
> > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',

Yes, you can turn off system restore on the smaller disk..

RClick on "MyComputer", select system restore tab, and from the list of
drives (partitions really), select the one you want to change and press
settings....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi David.
>
> Does this System Restore rule default to the partition with the smallest
> amout of space. I have two partitions. One 15.6 MB with 10.3 free space
> availabel (it has my documents and a few downloads) and another with 74.4
GB
> with 71.8 free space (it has XP on it). I suspect the 15 MB partitions
> (or drive) is the source of the problem. If it is, is it possible to turn
> off system restore on the smaller drive ,and just use it on the larger one
> with XP on it?
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> System Restore requires 200 MB of free space or it turns off.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
>
> "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Patrick, did you read all of my message? I told how much I had
> allocated
> > fod system restore.
> >
> > In System Restore:
> >
> > C. Set at Max 100% (15 MB)
> > E. Set at Max 12% (9153MB)
> >
> > "Patrick Murphy" <PatrickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > You might want to check and see how much you have allocated for system
> > > restore. With a 80gb HD you shouldn't have this problem, unless it's
> near
> > > all filled up

> > may be

> > that