Per User TS CAL Clarification

Is a per user CAL assigned to a specific user accounf for the 52-89 days, or
just for the time they are actually connected?

I amy trying to figure out the best way of licensing a specific 2003
Terminal Server. We have about 20 client computers used for connecting,
25-30 users that connect, but only about 15 users, or less, at any given
time. The computers get changed out occasionally, so I would like to use the
per user method.

Can I get the 15 per user TS CALs since I have heard they don't get assigned
to any specific user accounts, and that is the number generally connected at
any given time, or should I get the 25-30 if they are assigned to an account?

I've gone through the white papers and they are conflicting. Some say they
aren't assigned to a specific account, some say they are.

Currently, Per User licenses are not managed at all. That means
that nothing is assigned, and you have to keep track of the number
of connecting users by hand.

You still have to follow the EULA, and that means that you must
have a Per User license for every user that connects. This is *not*
per concurrent user, but the total number of users during any time
period. So you would need 25-30 Per User TS CALs.

If you have 20 client and 25-30 users, Per Device licensing is
cheaper, since you would need only 20 Per Device TS CALs.
Per Device TS CALs *are* managed, they are assigned to a specfic
client for the time that the license is valid (52-89 days).

You don't have to worry about discarding clients, that is taken
care of automatically, thanks to the licensing expiration.
Licenses that are not used (because the client does not
connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the LS
after the expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients
will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
available again.
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?TGFoZG96?= <Lahdoz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
23 jun 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client: