Sign in with
Your question

Aaaahhh Shut up!!!

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2006 5:42:28 PM

I have used both Mac's and Windows PC'S, and I'll say that I have had more fun with my Wintel clone than I could ever have with the Mac. Mac users are creative types and most are into themselves and flamming or metros..... I know I went to school with these kats. So if you can't understand why someone who use a Mac, now you know.....

I also think that this is the foot in the door Apple needed to make to get their OS into the mainstream market. Give them about 2-4 years or so and see if you have a choice for your x86 box. Like a BlizzBurg Linebacker, Bill Gates didn't see this one comming!!

P.S I don't spell check or grammer check cuzz I don't give a $h1t!

More about : aaaahhh shut

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2006 5:50:54 PM

Ok;

Very constructive. And informative.
January 16, 2006 6:20:49 PM

You honestly think that Apple will dare open up and let any old moron write drivers for their OS? I just don't see it happening. It'll be tied to Mac hardware forever. (Or at least until some bright spark cracks it, which should take maybe a week.)
Related resources
January 16, 2006 6:58:59 PM

By using the intel processor that most PC users know they are hoping to attract new business as well. Maybe get some people to actually consider a move to Mac. The majority of Mac users ended up that way because they are in the graphic design feild and at the time the Mac was the thing to use. Prepress is still mostly dominated by the Mac and most prepress people don't even really realise they can use a PC for it effectively (plus most don't want to bother paying out big bucks to turn all there Mac software to PC, almost doubling the cost of a shift.).
January 17, 2006 1:32:42 PM

Quote:
(plus most don't want to bother paying out big bucks to turn all there Mac software to PC, almost doubling the cost of a shift.).
But only if the emulation layer doesn't work well. This reminds me a lot of the Alpha/x86 mess from years back. Hopefully this story has a happier ending...
January 17, 2006 2:16:43 PM

One thing that I hope will someday happen is convergence of hardware and software (which I believe microsoft and Apple are working towards and I believe Steve Jobs realises is inevitable).
Now before people get their noses all bent out of shape over this, I realise this is a totally idyllic way of looking at things and companies sometimes use this philosophy for personal gain (as long as they are the ones leading the convergence).
And I also realise competition is what drives innovation (without that we wouldn't have had AMD processors).

True... maybe I watch a little too much Star Trek hoping that we will evolve to that level where the challenge is to better peoples lives instead of chasing Bucks and creating that win, win scenario we are all hoping for.

Think of it, perfect non glitchy software running on super fast machines that everyone can enjoy that is totally accessible to everyone that runs every program.

(Man. I gotta patent that, so I can sue the ass off the guy that comes up with implementing that first!!!) :D 
January 17, 2006 2:47:50 PM

Quote:
One thing that I hope will someday happen is convergence of hardware and software
Come again? That's called firmware...

Quote:
True... maybe I watch a little too much Star Trek hoping that we will evolve to that level where the challenge is to better peoples lives instead of chasing Bucks and creating that win, win scenario we are all hoping for.
I think it was pretty much replicators that accomplished that. When you can create any amount of food and goods at the touch of a button...

Quote:
Think of it, perfect non glitchy software running on super fast machines that everyone can enjoy that is totally accessible to everyone that runs every program.
Good luck with that. So long as the creators are flawed, so too will be their creations, be their hardware, software, or otherwise. And frankly, that's a good thing IMHO, as it is these imperfections that keep life interesting.
January 17, 2006 3:39:55 PM

Quote:
One thing that I hope will someday happen is convergence of hardware and software
Come again? That's called firmware...
You know what I meant....Convergence of OS and the hardware and software that runs it and on it. Last time I checked I couldn't load a mac OS on my AMD system..that is the spirit of what I meant, that kind of seamless interoperability..we are close but not there yet.

Quote:
I think it was pretty much replicators that accomplished that. When you can create any amount of food and goods at the touch of a button...
Good point, haven't found one yet though...still looking

Quote:
Think of it, perfect non glitched software running on super fast machines that everyone can enjoy that is totally accessible to everyone that runs every program.
Good luck with that. So long as the creators are flawed, so too will be their creations, be their hardware, software, or otherwise. And frankly, that's a good thing IMHO, as it is these imperfections that keep life interesting.

True, imperfections are part of life because humans are imperfect and it does make life interesting....I just personally hate it when my system crashes because of a glitched program or hardware and I lose things that cannot be replaced or there is some wacky conflict going on with drivers that keeps me from doing something I want to do....its frustrating and time consuming.
January 17, 2006 5:21:16 PM

Quote:
You know what I meant....Convergence of OS and the hardware and software that runs it and on it.
Actually, until you explained it in the next line, I didn't know what you meant.

Quote:
Last time I checked I couldn't load a mac OS on my AMD system..that is the spirit of what I meant, that kind of seamless interoperability..we are close but not there yet.
We're not even remotely close to that, and I doubt that we ever will be. The only way that we ever will have that is if we only have one type of hardware. Would you want anyone to have a monopoly on the standard? Not that standards are bad in and of themselves, but generally standardizing bodies greatly inhibit the rate of advancement. So I pretty strongly hope that we never have this seamless interoperability that you dream of (short of emulators) because it'd mean that R&D has pretty much died.

Quote:
True, imperfections are part of life because humans are imperfect and it does make life interesting....I just personally hate it when my system crashes because of a glitched program or hardware and I lose things that cannot be replaced or there is some wacky conflict going on with drivers that keeps me from doing something I want to do....its frustrating and time consuming.
I won't argue that it's frustrating and time consuming. And, in fact, I think it'd be a much better world if companies were held even a little bit more responsible for the damage that their barely tested products cause. But think of how much that you've learned because of these flaws that you wouldn't have learned if things had been perfect. Perfection is not only nearly impossible (fortunately), but it is also a very dangerous thing to have.
January 20, 2006 2:31:16 PM

I just wanted to clarify my position toward many of the comments I have made regarding this topic. Many of the comments made are based on a "what if" scenario requiring several aspects of the computer industry to actually work together and strive to advance computers as a whole. Is this going to happen...realistically "probably not". Why?, because our society is too ingrained in following the all mighty buck, why would anyone want to give up rights to a technology when they can make a boatload of cash off of it.
As far as the whole "I hope this never happens because of a monopoly on a standard" ties exactly into my previous statement. It would take a huge shift in the way we perceive advancement to enact these changes.
Right now technology is getting pushed purely as part of a one-upmanship between companies. Everyone is trying to outdo their competitor as quickly as possible to gain market share which quite often means things are rushed to market well short of being solidly tested (look at Microsoft and the Windows platform over the past 12years as just one example). would R&D slow...sure but if I am getting a system that runs amazing with no glitches 6-8mos. later out of the box isn't that worth something as well. We have become a society of pure consumption very quickly. We crave the next thing too readily and the reason we crave it is because it exists.(how many people on these forums keep a close eye on what the next big computer thing is because we know it is coming in a month or two, either the next processor line or graphics card etc.)
I would like to also pose the statement that if all the Large manufacturers did indeed work toward convergence it would happen a lot faster than you think. The reason they don't is because they are in the business of making money and selling their product to you, it has very little to do with technical issues (I am sure they have some pretty intelligent people that could make it happen). The industry protects its secrets very closely and would advance greatly if they shared their knowledge instead of hording it which I think would benefit us all.
January 21, 2006 6:29:27 PM

Hi, forumers! (Hey, should i also patent this neologism?!)

If you generalize your point to the whole socio-economic tissue, beware! You might be called communist! And "called" is a soft term for what else it might happen to you!
I do agree with [some] of your statements; after all, capitalism IS devouring all other economic systems and, in its essence, it's anti-democratic: It presupposes that EVERYONE has the same oportunities, conditions & capabilities to become successful ("bucks" & "status" wise). Even a below-average IQ person understands better. Not being a perfect system (is there any?), one of the basic principles of Democracy states that, no matter the differences (in oportunities, in conditions, in capabilities and in many, many other issues), to EVERYONE are given the same rights, social, economic, health, justice, you-name-it wise (again, any below-average IQ person...).
But, both systems became entangled in some sort of pseudo-democratic capitalism, where [moral/ethic] principles such as honesty have fancier names, obscure content, legal degrees-of-freedom & hidden clauses...

Well, i guess i got carried away into... politics! But, isn't that what it's all about?!
Can we hide from reality? Can we turn our backs on it? Would we want to?Just ask the "BIG GUYS"...

(Now, it's my turn to Shut Up!)

Cheers!
January 23, 2006 3:55:13 PM

Well, I wasn't really going for the whole political thing, just trying to state how things would be better if we could all just get along really and look at improving things in regards to the computer industry.
I use the business angle because that is what drives the industry. A little more responsibility to the consumer and more co-operation by the manufacturers would go a very long way I feel.
They would just have to fight off the temptation of price gouging because it would be a monopoly and that's why they would need an attitude shift, so we as a consumer don't get screwed by it.

Quote:
Hi, forumers! (Hey, should i also patent this neologism?!)

you better do it now before someone reads this and beats you to the punch. :D 
!