Help! Slaving old hard drive to new computer?

lsmft721

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I have an old hard drive on a compter that won't boot. I want to slave it to my new compter an dretieve some data (files).
How eaxctly do I accomplish this?

Thanx! :)

loveme4whoiam

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Find a spare IDE cable that's on the ribbon you are using for your HD at the moment, attach the old HD along with a spare power cable from the PSU, and ensure that the little jumper at the back of the old HD is in Slave position and the running HD is in Master. Then boot up, it should work.

A note of warning - if you're data is in a profile's documents that had a password on it, I know of no way to get that data out (dunno if anyone else knows how to). This happened to me and I lost a ton of data because I couldn't turn of the privacy function of the profile :evil:

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Do what loveme4whoiam said. The only problem I have had is security related but fairly easy to get around, see below:

You may need to "Take ownership" of documents that you copy over or try to access. Under admin right click the files (folders) select properties. Then go to the security tab, choose advanced, the owners tab and you should be able to choose take ownership of this file. This under XP, depending on the OS the files are coming from and what you are running curerntly you may not need this (but it is good to know if it does happen to you ;) ).