Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would this show me the SP2 file size?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I am curious (like a lot of others) to know the size of the folder that was
used from the Network disk to upgrade XP. I found this folder;
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and it's showing a little over 29mb.
Would this be the size that I needed from the full (256mb) upgrade disk?

I have kept up religiously with the Hotfixes and such and knew that I
wouldn't need everything on the full version of the disk. BTW, it only took
a bit over 10 minutes from start to reboot for the service pack to deploy. I
have heard that it has taken others 30+ minutes to get it all in.

More about : show sp2 file size

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:14:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Patrick Murphy" <Patrick Murphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am curious (like a lot of others) to know the size of the folder that was
>used from the Network disk to upgrade XP. I found this folder;
>C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and it's showing a little over 29mb.
>Would this be the size that I needed from the full (256mb) upgrade disk?

No, this is the uninstall data only. To update single PCs, download
the SP via the Windows Update site. Else you can get a full version of
the SP from www.microsoft.com to download and install on multiple PCs
(256 MB version). You cannot download single parts of the SP (beside
of patches that have been released before).

--
(tm)
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:14:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I went and put the SP on my old computer that hadn’t been updated since
October and sure enough, when I went into that uninstall folder it was
showing 390mb in the folder and 250mb on the disk. So it basically used the
whole Network disk. It also took over 40 minutes. Compare that to the newer
machine; 29mb/folder, 14mb/disk size, and only 10 minutes to install.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Patrick Murphy" <Patrick Murphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am curious (like a lot of others) to know the size of the folder that was
> >used from the Network disk to upgrade XP. I found this folder;
> >C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and it's showing a little over 29mb.
> >Would this be the size that I needed from the full (256mb) upgrade disk?
>
> No, this is the uninstall data only. To update single PCs, download
> the SP via the Windows Update site. Else you can get a full version of
> the SP from www.microsoft.com to download and install on multiple PCs
> (256 MB version). You cannot download single parts of the SP (beside
> of patches that have been released before).
>
> --
> (tm)
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:14:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Patrick Murphy wrote:

> I went and put the SP on my old computer that hadn't been updated since
> October and sure enough, when I went into that uninstall folder it was
> showing 390mb in the folder and 250mb on the disk. So it basically used the
> whole Network disk. It also took over 40 minutes. Compare that to the newer
> machine; 29mb/folder, 14mb/disk size, and only 10 minutes to install.

Right, your observations are basically correct. The SP2 uninstall
folder will only contain the files that were replaced by SP2. So if you
have kept your machine up-to-date then you need less of the files
included with SP2 (since you already have many of them) than a machine
that has not been kept up to date.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:14:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Tom.
That's what I thought. I also went back and checked both machines and found
that the old machine used 2376 files versus 840 for the newer one.

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> Patrick Murphy wrote:
>
> > I went and put the SP on my old computer that hadn’t been updated since
> > October and sure enough, when I went into that uninstall folder it was
> > showing 390mb in the folder and 250mb on the disk. So it basically used the
> > whole Network disk. It also took over 40 minutes. Compare that to the newer
> > machine; 29mb/folder, 14mb/disk size, and only 10 minutes to install.
>
> Right, your observations are basically correct. The SP2 uninstall
> folder will only contain the files that were replaced by SP2. So if you
> have kept your machine up-to-date then you need less of the files
> included with SP2 (since you already have many of them) than a machine
> that has not been kept up to date.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP MCE
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
>
!