Application read from reg fails

We have an app that writes and reads the HKLM hive. For example, it stores
the name of a sql server and reads it just before displaying its logon
screen. The read works for admin users, but not ordinary users. However,
both types of users can write (I can see the result in regedit) to the key.

Regmon seems to be saying that the read has been redirected to HKCU where it
fails -- there are no entries since they were written to HKLM.

Any hints where to start on this>

Jeremy

So create the entries in each users HKCU at logon via script.
--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"JeremyGrand" wrote:

> We have an app that writes and reads the HKLM hive. For example, it stores
> the name of a sql server and reads it just before displaying its logon
> screen. The read works for admin users, but not ordinary users. However,
> both types of users can write (I can see the result in regedit) to the key.
>
> Regmon seems to be saying that the read has been redirected to HKCU where it
> fails -- there are no entries since they were written to HKLM.
>
> Any hints where to start on this>
>
> Jeremy

Are you talking about creating a startup "bat" file using windows scripting?
Yes, I suppose that could be done if there isn't any other way.

But can you point me to some background on this? What is ts trying to do
with the reg in this case? Is this by design; are there some settings that
can be changed; etc.

Jeremy

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?ID=224