First build, looking for opinions and suggestions please!

Hello, I'm building this machine for mostly gaming but it will also be used for watching movies and listening to music. My budget is roughly $2500 and I'm not really interested in overclocking anything. The prices I'm listing are in Cdn $$

CASE: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 - $98

PSU: Antec TP2-550 EPS12V 550W SLI - $101

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - $136

I'm wondering if I should make the jump to the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium board.. what would the advantages be to using this board instead?

CPU: AMD Athlon64 x2 3800+ 64bit Dual Core - $405

I'll be doing some multi-tasking which is why I chose this CPU over the single core 3700+.

RAM: 2x Kingston 1GB PC3200 400MHz - $118/stick

The place I'm ordering from also has Transcend RAM, if that's better than Kingston?

HARD DRIVE: Seagate 250GB SATA 7200RPM - $139

VIDEO CARD: MSI 7800GT 256MB - $419

Are the GTX cards really worth the extra $$?

SOUND CARD: Creative Labs X-Fi FATAL1TY FPS 7.1 - $339

CD/DVD DRIVE: LG416B(16xDVD+R/RW, 16xDVD-R/RW,48x24x48xCD-RW) - $51

Is there a better combo drive than this? Or am I better off getting seperate drives for DVD's and CD's?

KEYBOARD: Microsoft Digital PRO Media Keyboard - $29

MOUSE: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse - $75

SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1 - $77

MONITOR: ViewSonic VX924 19" LCD - $479

Total comes out to $2584 Cdn, which is approximately $2230 US. Looking for any suggestions in regards to performance, price, compatibility, and brand names. Thanks alot!
6 answers Last reply
More about first build opinions suggestions please
  1. The only thing I'd change is sound card...

$339 for a Fatality??

Change it to a X-Fi Music version at $125 US, and put the money saved into the next speed step processor, the X2 4200..

(Personally, many don't even buy sound cards anymore, as there is 8 ch sound on all NF4 mainboards; sounds jsut fine to my ear!)

(You should be able to find a 7800GT on sale for around $280 US, not sure what that works out to in Can $....)
  2. I want the sound card since it'll help with games and I listen to alot of music through my computer... I picked the Fatal1ty just because it'll last a long, long time.

One thing I forgot to ask in my original post is about SATA hard drives. Is there really any point in buying a single SATA drive? Would I save myself some setup headaches just buying an IDE? I've read that SATA's in a RAID setup boost performance, but single SATA drives only give performance boosts when transferring massive amounts of data. Can someone set me straight on this issue please! Thanks!
  3. You should get SATA drive because they are cheaper, newer, faster, bigger, and can do RAID

What is up with prices? the 3800+ for $400?!? it was $322 a month ago.....
  4. Yeah the 3800s are a bit more expensive up here for some reason, the place I'm buying this from says its because of supply issues. Apparently they're really popular these days. Also they're 400 bucks Cdn, which is like 350 US.. so if I was to buy from newegg(if they even shipped to Canada, buggers) it'd be 322+10-20 bucks shipping, basically even.

If anyone knows of a place in Canada or one that ships here with better prices, please let me know!
  5. Depending on where in Canada you live. Try http://www.atic.ca/ There in Vancouver best prices I've found.
  6. SATA, Mabey, The Graphics Card: Go With The GT Hes Right, Theres Only About A 5% Performance Diff Between The GT And The GT And That Would Save $$ For Mabey A Metter CPU Or More RAM And They Overclock VERY Well Just Look Below At The OC On My 7800GT (It Ties With A GTX , Nothe The Stock Core Is 400MHz), For The RAM, Id Double It To 2GB, Otherwise The PC Is Great
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems