TS Client - How Secure?

Question, How secure is the TS client (Remote Desktop Connection from
WinXP)? Can you make it reasonably secure? I have run sessions through
VPNs but I am wondering if that is necessary?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

RDP is encrypted with 128-bit bi-directional RC4 Encryption by
default (and if the client supports 128-bit).
If your Terminal Server is behind a firewall and you have a strong
password policy, there's no reason for VPN from a security point of
view. And if you don't have full control over the other end of the
VPN tunnel (a home PC), then I would say VPN is less secure.

Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Un1c0rn" <un1c0rn(S p_am Ki_ll_er)@yahoo.com> wrote on 09 jul
2005:

In article <Xns9690A9DE963B5veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
> RDP is encrypted with 128-bit bi-directional RC4 Encryption by
> default (and if the client supports 128-bit).
> If your Terminal Server is behind a firewall and you have a strong
> password policy, there's no reason for VPN from a security point of
> view. And if you don't have full control over the other end of the
> VPN tunnel (a home PC), then I would say VPN is less secure.

Sure there is - if you "Trust" that there are no exploits in the MS TS
service then you are correct, you don't need a VPN.

On the other hand, I don't trust the OS to be exploit free and always
put our servers behind a Firewall Appliance at the border and one that
is not setup to authenticate with the domain - so that domain accounts
with weak passwords can't get users pass the firewall.

Our solution is to ALWAYS setup a firewall appliance, users VPN into the
appliance, rule per use to restrict the VPN user to a specific set of
IP/Port combinations inside the lan, and then they still have to
authenticate with the domain/network. This type of mind-set has kept our
clients uncompromised for as along as they have been using public facing
services.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote on 12 jul 2005:

> In article <Xns9690A9DE963B5veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
> Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
>> RDP is encrypted with 128-bit bi-directional RC4 Encryption by
>> default (and if the client supports 128-bit).
>> If your Terminal Server is behind a firewall and you have a
>> strong password policy, there's no reason for VPN from a
>> security point of view. And if you don't have full control over
>> the other end of the VPN tunnel (a home PC), then I would say
>> VPN is less secure.
>
> Sure there is - if you "Trust" that there are no exploits in the
> MS TS service then you are correct, you don't need a VPN.
>
> On the other hand, I don't trust the OS to be exploit free and
> always put our servers behind a Firewall Appliance at the border
> and one that is not setup to authenticate with the domain - so
> that domain accounts with weak passwords can't get users pass
> the firewall.
>
> Our solution is to ALWAYS setup a firewall appliance, users VPN
> into the appliance, rule per use to restrict the VPN user to a
> specific set of IP/Port combinations inside the lan, and then
> they still have to authenticate with the domain/network. This
> type of mind-set has kept our clients uncompromised for as along
> as they have been using public facing services.

OK, I understand what you mean, but the funny thing is that to the
best of my knowledge there have not been any known exploits of TS.

And of course you need a firewall and strong passwords, we totally
agree on that.

But I still think that VPN from a home PC (where the user is local
Administrator and has an unlimited amount of malware, spyware etc
running) into your corporate LAN is not the safest of possible
solutions.

Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

TRENDING THREADS