rdc crashes on vnc

Hi

I am having trouble with a couple of users on TServer most of the people
that use it are in our second office and two from home.(about seven overall)

they all vpn into this office and then connect to the terminal server.

on two of the machines (one in the office the other at home) they are
repeatedly being disconnected about every five mins
I does not give a reason it just flashes the lost connection icon in the top
of the screen. the vpn stays connected and they can reconnect straight away
but in five mins the same happens

can any one help with this

the machine are all XP
and the server is win2003

cheers
Craig

1. Setup a connection that bypasses the VPN to see if the problem is related
to the VPN connection.

2. If the problem happens when connecting directly via RDP, try using a
different router, or test with a different terminal server host (even an XP
Workstation, for testing purposes)

3. If the problem happens w/o VPN and with a different Remote Desktop Host,
then the problem is your router.

I'm assuming this is happening while users are active, not while sessions
are minimized (in which case you'd enable keepalives to solve this problem).

Does this happen to all users at once, or only one at a time?

--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"C" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having trouble with a couple of users on TServer most of the people
> that use it are in our second office and two from home.(about seven overall)
>
> they all vpn into this office and then connect to the terminal server.
>
> on two of the machines (one in the office the other at home) they are
> repeatedly being disconnected about every five mins
> I does not give a reason it just flashes the lost connection icon in the top
> of the screen. the vpn stays connected and they can reconnect straight away
> but in five mins the same happens
>
> can any one help with this
>
> the machine are all XP
> and the server is win2003
>
> cheers
> Craig

Hi thanks for that

we tested it to another remote machine through vpn and it still lost the
connection after five mins

we then tested the machine on the internal network straight to the tserver
but all was fine it only seems to happen through vpn.

but it is quite random it only affect two machines one is in the other
office connect through the same router and vpn that every one else uses. the
other is at someones home through a BT broadband router

i have changed the keep alive settings and added the reg setting to change
the maxtransmission to 10 instead of 5

any more ideas would be gratefully received

thanks
craig