Connect3D ATI Radeon 9550 driving me nuts...

zingo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I am struggling with a ATI Radeon 9550 together with WinXP Pro and a QDI K7V600 Mobo and I cannot get it to work properly. I have made a clean re-install of XP, applied Mobo drivers and VIA Hyperion drivers 500A then rebooted and installed latest ATI drivers and rebooted. It works until login and then goes solid black, freezes or gives a bluescreen sometimes. In case of a bluescreen it complains about ati2dvag.dll that got stuck in a loop. The card is brand new and another Nvidia board works fine in the same slot. (and yes, I have wiped out and reinstalled correct drivers in between ,-))

I've tried the ATI drivers 5-10, 5-11 and 5-12 as well as the latest Omegadrivers to no avail. I also tried with and without WinXP SP2 but no diff.

Is there anybody that has some ideas left, I am running short of them now...

sturm

Splendid
You said the card is brand new right?
Have you tried the ati card in another computer? sounds like you hav a bad graphics card. Try reseating the card again. If that doesnt work then I would return the card and get a better one, unless you dont play games.

zingo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
After umpteen attempts in different combinations, I finally came to the same conclusion as you did above and managed to return the card to the supplier. I got hold of a 9600 XT card instead and it worked from the first attempt so it was probably a broken card in the first place. The problem was that is worked to a certain degree, until I loaded the drivers, and that made me believe that I did something wrong or had a h/w conflict etc.

Thanx anyway for your feedback and suggestions.

/c

sturm

Splendid
The basic drivers that windows loads for video will give you video to a very limited degree 640x480 at 16 color. Once you loaded the drivers and all the circuitry and stuff was activated is when the 'broken parts' would cause the driver to fail. Glad you got it fixed plus the 9600xt is a better card.

By the way it had nothing to do with it being a Via chip set. I have been using a kt266 board for 5 years now without one single problem.

The basic drivers that windows loads for video will give you video to a very limited degree 640x480 at 16 color. Once you loaded the drivers and all the circuitry and stuff was activated is when the 'broken parts' would cause the driver to fail. Glad you got it fixed plus the 9600xt is a better card.

By the way it had nothing to do with it being a Via chip set. I have been using a kt266 board for 5 years now without one single problem.

lucky one better not curse it lol