Looking for a Netgear 318 VPN mentor.

Hi all,

First: I'm a newbie to VPN. I'm not a complete idjit in general, but I've
never had to deal with VPNs before.

As the only guy in our office who even knows how to set up a network and
troubleshoot basic problems, I've been delegated The Computer Guy ... and
subsequently been asked to set up a VPN based on our Netgear FVS318 and
Netgear ProSafe client software.

I'm looking for a generous soul who has maybe walked through this valley of
darkness before me to come back and shed a little light on the process. I'm
rapidly realizing how much of a shmuck I am and would really appreciate some
insight into how to go about this.

Communication through this NG would be fine, e-mail maybe a little
preferable. Again, I'm new to this, but I'm not a stone-cold moron, so I
hope things would progress relatively quickly. I'd just rather have somebody
I can ask for advice backing me up before I start mucking around and
possible screwing things up royally. I'm (theoretically) familiar with
things like TCP/IP, simple Windows networking, and how the Internet works in
general. I get a little scared when people start tossing around dynamic DNS
creation, assigning static IPs and setting up security certificates,
however.

Pay is in gratitude and that warm feeling you get when you help a nun across
the street.

Thanks.

Matt Shepherd
http://www.man-man.org
1 answer Last reply
More about looking netgear mentor

    you've got the right router for a low cost solution, IMNSHO. just set up 3
    separate router to router vpn's yesterday with fvs318's. no experience w/
    the software though. i'll tell you this now, if you've got it all setup
    correctly and it still won't work, beware of zone alarm. if the comps have
    ever had it installed it could cause a problem. i had to reinstall 2 os's
    because of it (although there is a guy here who has scoured the registry
    successfully.)

    "Matt Shepherd" <matthewshepherd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > First: I'm a newbie to VPN. I'm not a complete idjit in general, but I've
    > never had to deal with VPNs before.
    >
    > As the only guy in our office who even knows how to set up a network and
    > troubleshoot basic problems, I've been delegated The Computer Guy ... and
    > subsequently been asked to set up a VPN based on our Netgear FVS318 and
    > Netgear ProSafe client software.
    >
    > I'm looking for a generous soul who has maybe walked through this valley
    of
    > darkness before me to come back and shed a little light on the process.
    I'm
    > rapidly realizing how much of a shmuck I am and would really appreciate
    some
    > insight into how to go about this.
    >
    > Communication through this NG would be fine, e-mail maybe a little
    > preferable. Again, I'm new to this, but I'm not a stone-cold moron, so I
    > hope things would progress relatively quickly. I'd just rather have
    somebody
    > I can ask for advice backing me up before I start mucking around and
    > possible screwing things up royally. I'm (theoretically) familiar with
    > things like TCP/IP, simple Windows networking, and how the Internet works
    in
    > general. I get a little scared when people start tossing around dynamic
    DNS
    > creation, assigning static IPs and setting up security certificates,
    > however.
    >
    > Pay is in gratitude and that warm feeling you get when you help a nun
    across
    > the street.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Matt Shepherd