Newbie at cpu/mobo upgrade, need a couple answers

brew01

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I am building/upgrading my system, with an Asus A8N-E mobo and an Amd64-3200+ cpu. At present I am running an athalon 2800, asus A7n8e, with XP pro.
Can I use the present hardrive with all its settings, or do I have to go with a new formatted hd?
Can I use my old PCI vid card until I have a chance to get a new PCI-E vid card?

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
Unfortunately, computers do not support Plug and Play internal harddrive, so you have to reinstall everything for a new mobo.

You can use the PCI video as long as it meets your needs. All mobo have at least one PCI bus.

morg

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
yes you can,

have it installed into your old system,
in add/remove, uninstall all drivers found,
in device manager, replace ide driver for generic ide driver
same for everything you can.

never reboot, run sysprep
and close

then try to start from it on your new computer. it should try to install windows and redetect devices. it generally works but i STRONGLY RECOMMEND to format. you still can use partition manager and create a small partition on your free space to install windows

brew01

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Thanks for the info.
Do I turn on the the pc with the clean formatted hard drive with the new mobo and cpu. Will it then just boot with the bios, then I have to do a clean install of xp.
Or do I have the XP disc in when it boots for the first time and do the install then?

morg

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
sysprep will generate the installation files, same as if you run boot xp install then reboot. just be sure the new comp boots on it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
An easier thing to do is to start XP setup from the old PC. Before the next part of setup, replace everything. Choose repair, continue. All drivers will ber found during Setup.