S Video question, Please redirect me if better place to post

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
I have a quick question about an S Video cable and trying to hook my video camera up to my PC with it. Ok so I have a Sony CCD TRV318 Video camera if anyone cares to know, yes it's old.

Anyways back to the question. So about a week ago I hooked my Nvidia 6600 256MB PCI E card using my S Video cable up to my TV, wow that's hard to do....durrr ANYWAYS so I was wondering is it actually possible to hook my video camera up to my PC using an S video cable and get the video footage off my camera onto my PC?

I tried it and had no luck, do I need a program / thing or is it just not possible to do? Can anyone reccomend what else I would need to do that, my camera is analog so I don't have the full features of Digital o0o. Thank You!

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Not with the card you are using. The S-video port on most graphics cards is output only. To do what you want, you either need an ATI All in wonder card, a video capture card, or another card with an S-Video input. (At least as far as I know, I use the AIW).

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
well no I just got my 7800GT and it came with this connector that has a S Video In so I connected an S Video into it and connected the other end to my Video camera which would be S Video out but I don't get how do I get the PC to read that my camera is connected, it is the right connector now, even with the AV I had connected it still wasn't picking up, that's what I am not getting

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Sounds like its an issue related to the software you are using then. Look at the Video Cards Software, or your capture/input software.

beyond that, i can't be a lot of help.

j_dude

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Sounds like you have not installed any WDM drivers.

(Go to ATI and download them).

With out the WDM drivers you can't capture any video.

If you need an app to see if the capture is working you can try virtual VCR, it ain't fantastic, but it ain't bad eithier plus its freeeeeeee.

Good luck.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Sounds like you have not installed any WDM drivers.

(Go to ATI and download them).

With out the WDM drivers you can't capture any video.

If you need an app to see if the capture is working you can try virtual VCR, it ain't fantastic, but it ain't bad eithier plus its freeeeeeee.

Good luck.

This won't work, he is using an Nvidia card.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Yea Windows movie maker is what I tried to use but it was telling nothing is detected, check cables blah blah try again, I'm going to test out the WDM drivers and see if that doesn't help me out. Yeah that was one of my problesm I have no software Im using.... I was never given a CD with my video camera and the CD with my video card doesn't come with much, drivers, mauel, etc.