Remote desktop conection problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

We have a Win98 workstation that was connecting to a
Windows server, but now it can't. It starts to connect,
brings up the white bar at the top like it is going to
connect, then it errors out "

When connecting to a terminal server, it says the client
could not establish a connection to the remote server. It
gives 3 reasons why it may not be connecting.

We can ping all of the servers, we have had similar
problems at this location before, and found it to be
workststion specific. There are other workstations
connecting from this location. We could bring in a
different workstation, and it may or may not connect. Any
ideas would be appreciated.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Anything in the EventLog on the Terminal Server when your connection
is refused?
Have you checked your licensing?
How where the previous similar problems diagnosed and solved?

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"B Friederick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> We have a Win98 workstation that was connecting to a
> Windows server, but now it can't. It starts to connect,
> brings up the white bar at the top like it is going to
> connect, then it errors out "
>
> When connecting to a terminal server, it says the client
> could not establish a connection to the remote server. It
> gives 3 reasons why it may not be connecting.
>
> We can ping all of the servers, we have had similar
> problems at this location before, and found it to be
> workststion specific. There are other workstations
> connecting from this location. We could bring in a
> different workstation, and it may or may not connect. Any
> ideas would be appreciated.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

No, there isn't anything in the Terminal Server Log. We
just started getting the warning that our licenses are
expiring. We have 2 2003 Terminal servers, and neither is
a domain controler, and those are the only 2003 servers
we have. We found out 120 days previous that the
licensing server has to be 2003 server, and should be a
domain controler. We will have to reinstall the
licensing, then work towards getting a 2003 domain
controler.
We thought the problem was solved at this location before
when we changed to a different internet provider. We
thought something in the setup at that location was
preventing some work stations from connecting.

-

>"B Friederick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in

>> We have a Win98 workstation that was connecting to a
>> Windows server, but now it can't. It starts to
connect,
>> brings up the white bar at the top like it is going to
>> connect, then it errors out "
>>
>> When connecting to a terminal server, it says the
client
>> could not establish a connection to the remote server.
It
>> gives 3 reasons why it may not be connecting.
>>
>> We can ping all of the servers, we have had similar
>> problems at this location before, and found it to be
>> workststion specific. There are other workstations
>> connecting from this location. We could bring in a
>> different workstation, and it may or may not connect.
Any
>> ideas would be appreciated.
>.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

With a 2003 TS, the Licensing Server does not have to run on a
Domain Controller anymore.
You can install and activate the TS Licensing Service on one of
your existing 2003 member servers (on the same box as one of the
TS, if needed).
You migth have to point both TS to the LS, though:

279561 - How to Override the License Server Discovery Process in
Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279561

Also make sure that the licensing mode on each TS matches the type
of TS CALs that you installed (Per User or Per Device).