ASUS P4C800 Delux propblem with SATA Hard drive

sheeda

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
i have asus p4c800 delux mobo and i am using WD 250gb Sata hard drive, all was working fine since few day it started to give me strange problem

when i shutdown my pc and restart the pc, it starts for few secs and when it initilaises the Hard disk it goes off again, i have to remove the power cable and insert again and have to do this several time and finaly my PC can boot and gives an error "cpu overclocking failed" but the pc starts normal after this error.

since 2 days, it wont start at all, it starts for few secs. and when it accesses HDD to initialise it, it goes off suddenly.

But if i remove my SATA HDD, everything goes fine, it works fine with IDE hard drives

What could be the problem and what is the solution ? i have allready falshed my BIOS to newest firmware.

Reuben

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I've been having the same problem ever since my primary IDE hard drive failed. I replaced it with a SATA drive and immediately began having the problem.

My temporary solution was to turn on my PC then hit the reset button three to four times. After that, the PC would boot ok. I suspect the SATA drive needs more time to spin up. Oddly enough, the ASUS site support pages don't mention the overclocking problem. I eventually lucked onto a bios upgrade page that mentioned a specific bios upgrade that includes an "item to control SATA delay time."

To find the upgrade you need the following information at this link:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Search using: Motherboard
Socket type: ie 478
Exact Motherboard: ie P4C800 Deluxe

and information like this: P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1)

If you already have the latest bios, look for a setting to increase the delay time for the SATA hard drive.

I hope this helps.