What is the difference between wide screen and regular?

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I'm looking at the dell's 20in widscreen and the 21in regular screen. So does it makes a difference when playing games? I mean for dvd's movies that have widescreen will take advantage of that, but for games??? Or is it just preference? How would a VC 7800gt will hold up for these type of monitors? :twisted:

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Games look best imo using widescreen. The 7800's do fine, so do the 1800's :wink:
Quake 4 rocks widescreen at 1920x1200 max quality settings

Could you explain how it does better in WS??? Hey rich I know you commeted on my choosing a VC and I posted a new thread which is easier for people to help me out. I know I didn't mean to double post but I had to, to make the changes so people will comment. the thread is called "Here are my TOP choices what do you gusy think". Later. :twisted:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Widescreens have less viewing area. People lie and say that because the screen is wider, you get more viewing area. Because screens are actually measured diagonally, you don't. You'd get the most viewing area from a square screen, but those don't exist. 4x3 screens have more viewing area than 16:9 screens of the same size.

A 21" 4x3 screen has 218 square inches of viewing area, a 21" 16:9 widescreen has 211 square inches viewing area :p

Do the math yourself, you loose the equivelent of a 7x1" strip of space by going to wide screen with a 21" display. Pathagoreans theorum works, the @ key performs the square root function in Windows calculator.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Who Cares?... Widescreens Look Better And Help To "Draw" You Into The Games.... And Besides A Humans Vision Is Naturally In A Widescreen Format So Why Fight It, I Happen To Own One Of The Best (But Surely Not The Biggest) Widescreens There Is (With A .23mm Dot Pitch And CRT Color Accuracy No Less) Its 97% Color-Accurate And Is A 17.3" w/1600x1024 Resolution (Made By Silicon Graphics) And Games Look Absolutely INCREDIBLE And Lifelike :lol:

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Widescreens have less viewing area. People lie and say that because the screen is wider, you get more viewing area. Because screens are actually measured diagonally, you don't. You'd get the most viewing area from a square screen, but those don't exist. 4x3 screens have more viewing area than 16:9 screens of the same size.

A 21" 4x3 screen has 218 square inches of viewing area, a 21" 16:9 widescreen has 211 square inches viewing area :p

Do the math yourself, you loose the equivelent of a 7x1" strip of space by going to wide screen with a 21" display. Pathagoreans theorum works, the @ key performs the square root function in Windows calculator.

Then why does the movie industry uses the widscreen format??? :twisted:

paulbag

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Widescreen rocks. I have the same monitor as Rich and games look great.

As for the graphics card... my 9800 can run HL2 at 1920x1200 all detail medium - high and 2x AA. So no problems there!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because you're stupid? They use widescreen format because it more closely approximates the viewable area of the eye, knowing that theaters can be made as wide as they'd desire. Most people can't afford to simply buy a bigger screen than the one they'd planned however.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It matters a lot when you're trying to get as much as possible onto a page. Your only options are to maximize viewable area on the size you have, or go to a bigger size, and bigger cost more.