H6315 does not seamlessly switch between Wi-Fi and GPRS

September 9, 2004 6:51:26 AM

Hi..

I hope someone can help.

My 6315 does not seamlessly switch between Wi-Fi and GPRS. If I turn on
Wi-Fi, and a connection is found, I am fine. Once the connection is lost, I
get the typical "Page Cannot Be Found" or "Cannot Connect" type error
messages. I then have to manually start up GPRS.

If I am connected to GPRS, with Wi-Fi will scanning for a site, and a Wi-Fi
site is found, I receive a pop-up window listing the sites SSID, and asking
if, and how, I want to connect.

Shouldn't it just connect to the fastest connection available seamlessly
without me having to manually start the connection to whichever is
available?

I am hoping this is just a configuration setting in the PDA that I am
missing.

Thanks
September 9, 2004 11:23:08 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:51:26 GMT, "HighFlyer" <highflyer@verizon.net>
wrote:

>I am hoping this is just a configuration setting in the PDA that I am
>missing.

I don't think so... I don't subscribe to any GPRS services at all and
every once and a while, I have to deal with a 'connect GPRS' message
popping up. The software definitely needs some work.

A_C
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:57:21 PM

For what I know, the 6315 is not supposed to know how to ROAM between Wifi
and GPRS.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"HighFlyer" <highflyer@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o yP%c.8409$PK3.8248@trnddc08...
> Hi..
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> My 6315 does not seamlessly switch between Wi-Fi and GPRS. If I turn on
> Wi-Fi, and a connection is found, I am fine. Once the connection is lost,
> get the typical "Page Cannot Be Found" or "Cannot Connect" type error
> messages. I then have to manually start up GPRS.
>
> If I am connected to GPRS, with Wi-Fi will scanning for a site, and a
Wi-Fi
> site is found, I receive a pop-up window listing the sites SSID, and
asking
> if, and how, I want to connect.
>
> Shouldn't it just connect to the fastest connection available seamlessly
> without me having to manually start the connection to whichever is
> available?
>
> I am hoping this is just a configuration setting in the PDA that I am
> missing.
>
> Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:45:16 PM

It actually does roam smootly, just depends on the way youve set up
your connections. I threw out all T-Mob connections and created my own
clled "My ISP", just the way the other PPC's usually have. Then I set
both work and internet connections to "My ISP".

If you do not want the GPRS message to pop up because you do not
subscripe to GPRS plans, just delete all entries under modem
connections.

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:23:08 -0400, Agent_C
<Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:51:26 GMT, "HighFlyer" <highflyer@verizon.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I am hoping this is just a configuration setting in the PDA that I am
>>missing.
>
>I don't think so... I don't subscribe to any GPRS services at all and
>every once and a while, I have to deal with a 'connect GPRS' message
>popping up. The software definitely needs some work.
>
>A_C

September 11, 2004 3:45:17 PM

Reply to message from Willem Ditters <willem.ditters@attglobal.net> (Sat,
11 Sep 2004 05:45:16) about "Re: H6315 does not seamlessly switch between
Wi-Fi and GPRS":

WD> If you do not want the GPRS message to pop up because you do not
WD> subscripe to GPRS plans, just delete all entries under modem
WD> connections.

Thanks, I did just that. Now I get a box that says ther are no modem
connections available.

A_C
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:43:40 PM

Two questions:

1. I have exactly the same setup; it roams seamlessly between two Access
Points of the same WiFi network, but never roamed between WiFi and GPRS.
2. How can it roam for you between WiFi and GPRS if you say you don't have
GPRS?

BTW, this setup will not work for someone that needs a VPN.

--

!