Sony Bailing Out of Optical Drive Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I still remember reading about the coming wonder-tech, the CD.. and being blown away at the idea of 650 Mb of data on that shiny rainbow disc :)

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
blr-ray drive is still expensive, i hope to see it is under US$30/pc. like the current dvd drive, this is the reason i still stick with dvd drive.
per GB cost of disc is still much lower than flash drive, disc would not be replaced, it is the media for long time storage. the major use for most everyone is storing photos, videos etc.
most reliable optical drive brand to me is Pioneer.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]I think the CD drive era is ending... it's time we move to Flash-only storage.[/citation]
CD has been virtually dead for a long time. DVDs won't go anywhere anytime soon or at least until he new consoles (PS4 and XBOX INFINITY) arrive. I'm sure they'll still be, for whatever reason, selling hard copies of games in 2014. Hopefully, games will be so robust that blu-ray discs will be required. Whenever Japan finally moves to the cloud, the US will probably be 10 years behind, thus not requiring hard copies. Unfortunately, the average internet speed here in the US is too slow for that to sell. Look what has happened to OnLive?

Bad move, instead of closing because of fierce why not be innovative, I can't say what to do but I do not have 15% of a global market and they did, such a waste.

Profits over innovation is the reason they find competition too fierce.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]I think the CD drive era is ending... it's time we move to Flash-only storage.[/citation]

CD: Dead
DVD: Still there
Blu-Ray: Gaining

Flash-based cartridges that were used in much older consoles: Dead, because they were more expensive and production was less flexible.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
How many of the commentators here have a bluray drive in their PC? I'll bet there arent too many. Ive got 4 pc's and NONE of them have bluray drives (not even my file server)... Enterprise storage media long ago moved away from the CD jukebox and started using hard drives. For home users that trend is just beginning and the movie industry isnt concerned with HOW you buy their movie just that you DO buy it. Hell the movie industry should be all over the idea of digital downloads for movies on things like Netflix because it costs them damned near NOTHING to produce the copy or distribute it and they get that much more profit. Hell my best friend has an entire WALL of dvds in his house... hes given me several of them so that he could have the excuse to go buy the bluray or the one with 5.1 surround sound or the collectors edition one. I cant say Ive even watched them once.

But I digress... The concept of spinning disk storage even for home use is getting to the point where it doesnt make sense anymore. A 2tb hard drive is under 100 bucks. A bluray burner is about 60 bucks for the cheapest one on newegg with the 25gb disks costing somewhere around a buck each. That means you need ~80 to give the space of a 2tb hard drive and youre already well over 100 bucks and you have to keep track of 80 disks (40 if they are dual layer)!

So lets face it the optical drive is a waste of money and time at this point. I cant even remember the last time I bought a game in a store to be honest... Steam makes things so much easier.

G

[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]Wish HD DVD won the battle. The cost of blr-ray licences per drive & disc is just not worth it.[/citation]

How is it NOT WORTH IT ? IMO its really cheap.
Can you build a Drive that cheap (with pressure from Hollywood's lobby)
http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]waxdart[/nom]Wish HD DVD won the battle. The cost of blr-ray licences per drive & disc is just not worth it.[/citation]

Yep, that went all pretty much as I expected.
Sony won, tried to work with their typical high end margins and when that did not work they begin to abandon the ship. Like they have done in the past.
Wish HD had won over BR format.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]CD: Dead. DVD: Still there. Blu-Ray: Gaining
Flash-based cartridges that were used in much older consoles: Dead, because they were more expensive and production was less flexible.[/citation]
CD is in a very steep decline, but still oddly the single most popular disc medium by far
DVD is also declining, having been replaced on the file side by flash drives and downloads, and on the video side by bluRay and online streaming. Still strong though for consoles and PC games, though online media is gaining ground quickly.
Blu-Ray is gaining in sales of video discs, but I don't think it will ever catch on as a universal medium like DVD did. For storage, flash and HDD media makes much more sense; even cloud storage makes more sense for large files. For games companies have opted to stick with multiple DVDs, or download packages for large programs (with the obvious exception of the PS3), and future consoles sound like they will be disc-less systems. For video blu-ray is gaining a bit of market share, but only passed DVD sales during the 2011 holiday season to fall behind DVD sales again after the holiday sales were over. With HD streaming, and cable/satellite companies finally offering real HD options I do not see bluray really getting a huge foothold in the market. Add to that, people do not upgrade DVDs to BluRay like they did moving from VHS to DVD. DVD quality is native to most old popular TV shows, good enough for most comodies, does not suffer from tape degregation, and (if you know what you are doing or have a decent DVD player) DVD can upscale pretty nicely if the disc was encoded correctly. So where DVD got the replacement market, BluRay is only really getting replacements for the big epic action titles, and (when on sale) getting new purchases. But people are not beating down the store doors to get the latest bluray releases for $30+ when the DVD is often viewed as 'good enough' and costs $15.

Lastly, with the release of UHD soon, there is some debate about the longevity of a bluray investment. Will UHD video work well on bluray? Will it require a better player? Will discs have to be re-purchased again in 2-5 years when we all upgrade our TVs to the new 'last TV resolution we will ever have to buy'?

I think Disc media as a whole is largely dead. Future consoles will not have them, laptops have been axing them for several years now, desktops have them but they typically go unused, and many people are making their own digital servers (as basic as an external HDD, to as complex as a rack-mounted RAID device). A growing number of people who buy a phisical disc end up making their own digital copy because it is the real medium of choice even though there are no good providers for the medium yet (except on a rental basis).

Besides, DVD burners selling for $15 these days, it is not like there is a whole lot of profit in the market, so it makes sense to get out now rather than later when things start to get really depressing.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Bad move, instead of closing because of fierce why not be innovative, I can't say what to do but I do not have 15% of a global market and they did, such a waste.Profits over innovation is the reason they find competition too fierce.[/citation]

You do know that Sony 'innovated' the BR format ?
Sony is simply a high end, high profit margin company.
The BR market does not provide for that so they are leaving. Nothing new for Sony.

Don't get me wrong. I am in the A/V biz and use a lot of their pro gear. Excellent stuff, if you can afford it. Still, you can get the same or more features for less using Panasonic or Canon, and all without the usual proprietary hardware or connectors Sony is infamous for.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]How many of the commentators here have a bluray drive in their PC? I'll bet there arent too many...A 2tb hard drive is under 100 bucks.[/citation]

While I agree with you an most of your statement you do have one 'miss' in there.
With hard drives it is not a question IF they fail, but WHEN !
I'd never use a hard drive for archival or long term storage; and that includes RAID setups that you and I can afford.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
If HDDVD won, I bet everyone would probably have a HDDVD Writer in their PC's cause it would have been the same price as a regular DVD Writer.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Doctorpink[/nom]How is it NOT WORTH IT ? IMO its really cheap. Can you build a Drive that cheap (with pressure from Hollywood's lobby)http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/[/citation]
wow, that's expensive, you just proved his point. i bet HDDVD would have been the same as DVD's royalties.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I don't see them renting out flash drives to watch a Blue Ray movies any time soon.[/citation]
I can't remember the last time that I rented a movie on physical media either.

G

[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]wow, that's expensive, you just proved his point. i bet HDDVD would have been the same as DVD's royalties.[/citation]

How about you stop being stupid and check the CD/VHS price (royalties & productions cost) in the 80s-90s or the HDDVD (15 CENTS differences per br) considering the value of the $.

http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-replication-costs-analyzed-again/

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]CD has been virtually dead for a long time. DVDs won't go anywhere anytime soon or at least until he new consoles (PS4 and XBOX INFINITY) arrive. I'm sure they'll still be, for whatever reason, selling hard copies of games in 2014. Hopefully, games will be so robust that blu-ray discs will be required. Whenever Japan finally moves to the cloud, the US will probably be 10 years behind, thus not requiring hard copies. Unfortunately, the average internet speed here in the US is too slow for that to sell. Look what has happened to OnLive?[/citation]

you could have a dedicated fiber line from your pc to the onlive servers and back, but it would still introduce to much lag for some games to be playable multiplayer, much less competitively.

to even get a decent play ability, you need to live within 50 miles of an onlive serverfarm.

than to top that off, you had to play games through onlive, when a 100$ (5770) can give you better visuals, better frame rate, and not require an internet connection with nothing going on in the background.

thats what killed onlive, they couldnt sell it as a service (if i remember right) so you buy games to play on it, but people didnt buy games on it often enough to pay for the service, and with contracts and agrements they couldn't suddenly charge people to play the games.

the only way the cloud for gaming could ever take off is if every where in america had a pure fiber line, with that 10-100mb up and down speed. there were render farms in every major city and even the rural areas got a farm. until than hardware is required, and i dont think we will ever get to the not owing personal hardware in my lifetime.

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]How many of the commentators here have a bluray drive in their PC? I'll bet there arent too many. Ive got 4 pc's and NONE of them have bluray drives (not even my file server)... Enterprise storage media long ago moved away from the CD jukebox and started using hard drives. For home users that trend is just beginning and the movie industry isnt concerned with HOW you buy their movie just that you DO buy it. Hell the movie industry should be all over the idea of digital downloads for movies on things like Netflix because it costs them damned near NOTHING to produce the copy or distribute it and they get that much more profit. Hell my best friend has an entire WALL of dvds in his house... hes given me several of them so that he could have the excuse to go buy the bluray or the one with 5.1 surround sound or the collectors edition one. I cant say Ive even watched them once. But I digress... The concept of spinning disk storage even for home use is getting to the point where it doesnt make sense anymore. A 2tb hard drive is under 100 bucks. A bluray burner is about 60 bucks for the cheapest one on newegg with the 25gb disks costing somewhere around a buck each. That means you need ~80 to give the space of a 2tb hard drive and youre already well over 100 bucks and you have to keep track of 80 disks (40 if they are dual layer)! So lets face it the optical drive is a waste of money and time at this point. I cant even remember the last time I bought a game in a store to be honest... Steam makes things so much easier.[/citation]

ok, you have a point, if i could rely on hdds or flash storage for long term storage...

i have yet to have a dvd fail to work, so long as it burnt successfully.
i have had 3 flash drives in the last year fail for no reason, one failing the second use.
i have had 6 harddrives fail in the last 2 years.
but not a single dvd has ever failed me
and bluray... they are getting cheaper, at some point will be in the 20-30 cents a disc range.
only reason i dont have one now is because i have a ps3, so i have a player, and i dont have a burner because i still have 400 blank dvds, at some point that will run out, and thats when a blu ray burner will be an option.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]you could have a dedicated fiber line from your pc to the onlive servers and back, but it would still introduce to much lag for some games to be playable multiplayer, much less competitively.to even get a decent play ability, you need to live within 50 miles of an onlive serverfarm.than to top that off, you had to play games through onlive, when a 100$ (5770) can give you better visuals, better frame rate, and not require an internet connection with nothing going on in the background. thats what killed onlive, they couldnt sell it as a service (if i remember right) so you buy games to play on it, but people didnt buy games on it often enough to pay for the service, and with contracts and agrements they couldn't suddenly charge people to play the games. the only way the cloud for gaming could ever take off is if every where in america had a pure fiber line, with that 10-100mb up and down speed. there were render farms in every major city and even the rural areas got a farm. until than hardware is required, and i dont think we will ever get to the not owing personal hardware in my lifetime. ok, you have a point, if i could rely on hdds or flash storage for long term storage...i have yet to have a dvd fail to work, so long as it burnt successfully. i have had 3 flash drives in the last year fail for no reason, one failing the second use.i have had 6 harddrives fail in the last 2 years. but not a single dvd has ever failed meand bluray... they are getting cheaper, at some point will be in the 20-30 cents a disc range. only reason i dont have one now is because i have a ps3, so i have a player, and i dont have a burner because i still have 400 blank dvds, at some point that will run out, and thats when a blu ray burner will be an option.[/citation]

Did you finally realize they don't work under water?....lol
6 HDD and 3 flash you might want to start buying your electronics somewhere else. Somebody is selling you cheap knock off. in the past 10 years the only thing that failed me has been a "LG" flash storage and it was a knock off I bought in Iraq. I know they can fail, but 6 & 3 thats a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.