Winlogon and cpu resources

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I have a NT2000 Server running Terminal Services, I have
all needed service packs and am up to date. On some
occasions my cpu usage will peak at 100% and stay there
for a long time. I beleive that someone is trying to login
but can't. Eventually the winlogon process will terminate
and the cpu usage will go back to around 5 or 6%.

Any ideas that i can try?

I will keep watching this post, it is important to me and
my company.

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Try if this helps:

822834 - Spooler Failure Causes High CPU Usage in the Winlogon.exe
and Spoolsv.exe Processes on a Windows 2000 Terminal Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822834

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Daryl Rito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have a NT2000 Server running Terminal Services, I have
> all needed service packs and am up to date. On some
> occasions my cpu usage will peak at 100% and stay there
> for a long time. I beleive that someone is trying to login
> but can't. Eventually the winlogon process will terminate
> and the cpu usage will go back to around 5 or 6%.
>
> Any ideas that i can try?
>
> I will keep watching this post, it is important to me and
> my company.
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks For the info. It does look like someone is logging
in with a printer that the server doesn't like.

When i have the person logoff all's well and when he log's
in the CPU goes to 100%. He tells me that he has a HP 1000
laserjet which is USB only connection and maybe that is
why the server has a problem with it.

I asked him to remove the printer from his machine and he
then logs in just fine.

Yes, the HP Laserjet 1000 is not compatible with TS.
The fact that it uses an USB port is not a problem in itself, USB
printers are supported under W2K TS and above.