Which is better 6340i or T62u? I'm going to GAIT or anothe..

Last response: in Network Providers
August 21, 2004 1:32:19 PM

I currently have a GSM Nation plan with 500 minutes for $40 and an
additional phone for $10 more on the same plan. The problem that has just
developed is that my inlaws bought a lake house close to Smithville, TN
which is east of Nashville and my GSM phone has no service in that area.
There actually is a full scale signal on our Sony T616 GSM only phones
around Smithville but, it says no network or no coverage and I can't dial
anything. I think that Verizon probably is the full scale signal I am
seeing on my phone but, since Cingular probably doesn't share with Verizon I
have no coverage in that area. My current contract ends in a few months and
I either need to change plans now or at the end of my contract when I might
have more leverage with Cingular. I was thinking that since the GAIT
coverage map covers the area
http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GAIT_m... I might
change to that plan with a Nokia 6340i or a Sony T62u phone. Which one of
those phones is best to use with Cingular's GAIT plans? My current GSM plan
has good coverage west of Nashville, TN but, their coverage east of
Nashville could certainly be improved as seen on this map
http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GSM_ma... My other
alternatives appear to be Sprint or Verizon. Sprint looks to have better
prices than Verizon and about the same coverage by roaming off Verizon or
some other cellular providers. Has anyone here negotiated a good deal
changing from their GSM to a GAIT plan? And which phone is better to use
with GAIT? Thanks much.

More about : 6340i t62u gait anothe

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 8:00:43 PM

I would say you had better hurry if you want GAIT. I think they are about
to pull the rug on it. You cannot get the phones on Cingular Internet any
more, but some of the stores still have them. I think the Nokia 6340i is
the way to go and that they phased out the T62u previously.

I have the same problem in New England and would be out of luck with a GSM
plan. That said, CDMA is not everywhere either. Finding a CDMA phone with
AMPS is getting tougher too.

"DynoSauR" <dynosaur@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> I currently have a GSM Nation plan with 500 minutes for $40 and an
> additional phone for $10 more on the same plan. The problem that has just
> developed is that my inlaws bought a lake house close to Smithville, TN
> which is east of Nashville and my GSM phone has no service in that area.
> There actually is a full scale signal on our Sony T616 GSM only phones
> around Smithville but, it says no network or no coverage and I can't dial
> anything. I think that Verizon probably is the full scale signal I am
> seeing on my phone but, since Cingular probably doesn't share with Verizon
> have no coverage in that area. My current contract ends in a few months
and
> I either need to change plans now or at the end of my contract when I
might
> have more leverage with Cingular. I was thinking that since the GAIT
> coverage map covers the area
> http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GAIT_m... I might
> change to that plan with a Nokia 6340i or a Sony T62u phone. Which one of
> those phones is best to use with Cingular's GAIT plans? My current GSM
plan
> has good coverage west of Nashville, TN but, their coverage east of
> Nashville could certainly be improved as seen on this map
> http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GSM_ma... My other
> alternatives appear to be Sprint or Verizon. Sprint looks to have better
> prices than Verizon and about the same coverage by roaming off Verizon or
> some other cellular providers. Has anyone here negotiated a good deal
> changing from their GSM to a GAIT plan? And which phone is better to use
> with GAIT? Thanks much.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:45:55 PM

"Philip Lewis" <pclewis@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I would say you had better hurry if you want GAIT. I think they are about
> to pull the rug on it. You cannot get the phones on Cingular Internet any
> more, but some of the stores still have them. I think the Nokia 6340i is
> the way to go and that they phased out the T62u previously.
>
> I have the same problem in New England and would be out of luck with a GSM
> plan. That said, CDMA is not everywhere either. Finding a CDMA phone
with
> AMPS is getting tougher too.

Here in the Detroit area Cingular still sells the t62u on its website along
with a full complement of nation GAIT calling plans. The 6340i, however, is
no longer listed.
-- Cary
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:18:53 AM

Verizon does not have ANY GSM service, they are strictly CDMA, so the signal
you are picking up in Smithville is T-Mobile or ATTWS (the only GSM carriers
licensed in DeKalb county, TN)-both of which you should be able to roam on.

To see what carrier has good service there, talk to people in the area, see
what kind of reception they are getting. Check out any cellular stores to
get an idea which carriers have service there (in some carrier is not
represented, their service is probably poor).

If you like the GSM-only phones that you have, the GAIT phones will be a
disappointment. I know from personal experience, the 6340i is lousy on
Cingular 850mhz transition systems (much of the Cingular system-one of the
reasons I paid the ETF and left Cingular for Sprint PCS Free & Clear America
this past spring).

Chris

"DynoSauR" <dynosaur@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
>I currently have a GSM Nation plan with 500 minutes for $40 and an
> additional phone for $10 more on the same plan. The problem that has just
> developed is that my inlaws bought a lake house close to Smithville, TN
> which is east of Nashville and my GSM phone has no service in that area.
> There actually is a full scale signal on our Sony T616 GSM only phones
> around Smithville but, it says no network or no coverage and I can't dial
> anything. I think that Verizon probably is the full scale signal I am
> seeing on my phone but, since Cingular probably doesn't share with Verizon
> have no coverage in that area. My current contract ends in a few months
> and
> I either need to change plans now or at the end of my contract when I
> might
> have more leverage with Cingular. I was thinking that since the GAIT
> coverage map covers the area
> http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GAIT_m... I might
> change to that plan with a Nokia 6340i or a Sony T62u phone. Which one of
> those phones is best to use with Cingular's GAIT plans? My current GSM
> plan
> has good coverage west of Nashville, TN but, their coverage east of
> Nashville could certainly be improved as seen on this map
> http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GSM_ma... My other
> alternatives appear to be Sprint or Verizon. Sprint looks to have better
> prices than Verizon and about the same coverage by roaming off Verizon or
> some other cellular providers. Has anyone here negotiated a good deal
> changing from their GSM to a GAIT plan? And which phone is better to use
> with GAIT? Thanks much.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:18:01 AM

"DynoSauR" <dynosaur@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message

my inlaws bought a lake house close to Smithville, TN
> which is east of Nashville and my GSM phone has no service in that area.

And which phone is better to use
> with GAIT? Thanks much.

I have had a T62u for about 18 months & have travelled in some pretty rural
areas, including places where others were unable to get phone service. I
have never been without service. I think GAIT is the way to go if you don't
have to have all the latest whistles and bells. The phones make phone
calls....whereever!

Bob
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:18:02 AM

"Bob Walker" <rowalker@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "DynoSauR" <dynosaur@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
>
> my inlaws bought a lake house close to Smithville, TN
> > which is east of Nashville and my GSM phone has no service in that area.
>
> And which phone is better to use
> > with GAIT? Thanks much.
>
> I have had a T62u for about 18 months & have travelled in some pretty
rural
> areas, including places where others were unable to get phone service. I
> have never been without service. I think GAIT is the way to go if you
don't
> have to have all the latest whistles and bells. The phones make phone
> calls....whereever!
>
> Bob

I've got around 3 months left on my current GSM plan with Cingular and I'll
call Monday to see if I can get my plan changed to the GAIT plan without
much trouble. My main concern is whether Cingular will work with me on a
second phone. I only pay $10 a month for my second phone currently. That's
just what it cost when I signed up for the $40/500 minute GSM nation plan
when I first signed up. I see now that they've gone up to $20 for a second
phone. I would drop back to 1 phone if I had to pay $20 for another phone
and the GAIT plan I would want has 400 minutes with rollover. I also have
over 1,000 rollover minutes with my current plan and it'd be nice to get
them transferred over to the GAIT plan. That GAIT plan only gives 1,000
night and weekend minutes but, I don't talk that much so that's not really
an issue especially if with rollover minutes available. I also don't want
to sign up for a 2 year contract and it would be nice if I could buy used
GAIT phones and have them activated with no problem or possibly the SIM
cards in my current Sony T616 phones could be put into the GAIT phones and
they would work. I don't know but, hopefully I'll know something by Monday.
Thanks

Ben
August 22, 2004 1:07:58 PM

> I've got around 3 months left on my current GSM plan with Cingular and
I'll
> call Monday to see if I can get my plan changed to the GAIT plan without
> much trouble. My main concern is whether Cingular will work with me on a
> second phone. I only pay $10 a month for my second phone currently.
That's
> just what it cost when I signed up for the $40/500 minute GSM nation plan
> when I first signed up. I see now that they've gone up to $20 for a
second
> phone. I would drop back to 1 phone if I had to pay $20 for another phone
> and the GAIT plan I would want has 400 minutes with rollover. I also have
> over 1,000 rollover minutes with my current plan and it'd be nice to get
> them transferred over to the GAIT plan. That GAIT plan only gives 1,000
> night and weekend minutes but, I don't talk that much so that's not really
> an issue especially if with rollover minutes available. I also don't want
> to sign up for a 2 year contract and it would be nice if I could buy used
> GAIT phones and have them activated with no problem or possibly the SIM
> cards in my current Sony T616 phones could be put into the GAIT phones and
> they would work. I don't know but, hopefully I'll know something by
Monday.
> Thanks
>
> Ben

I have been using a 6340i for about 1 1/2 years now and have had excellent
results with it. It has great reception and have been using it from northern
Michigan to southern Florida with no problems.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:51:34 PM

The T62u will do GPRS the 6340i will not. I had a 6340i for over a year it
will get messed up roaming maybe once ever few weeks. The phone either
turns it's self off or "No Service" display which only clears after turning
the phone off and back on. The web browser locks up almost ever use. Over
all the 6340i has been a good phone but then I like Nokia phones.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 12:39:22 AM

What are the advantages of GPRS? Practical? I currently have the little
Sony T616 GSM only phones and they are pretty cute and easy to use. I may
try to get one of each off Ebay.
"Stanley Reynolds" <trash_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The T62u will do GPRS the 6340i will not. I had a 6340i for over a year it
> will get messed up roaming maybe once ever few weeks. The phone either
> turns it's self off or "No Service" display which only clears after
turning
> the phone off and back on. The web browser locks up almost ever use. Over
> all the 6340i has been a good phone but then I like Nokia phones.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:49:32 AM

"DynoSauR" <dynosaur@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> I currently have a GSM Nation plan with 500 minutes for $40 and an
> additional phone for $10 more on the same plan. The problem that has just
> developed is that my inlaws bought a lake house close to Smithville, TN
> which is east of Nashville and my GSM phone has no service in that area.
> There actually is a full scale signal on our Sony T616 GSM only phones
> around Smithville but, it says no network or no coverage and I can't dial
> anything. I think that Verizon probably is the full scale signal I am
> seeing on my phone but, since Cingular probably doesn't share with Verizon
> have no coverage in that area. My current contract ends in a few months
and
> I either need to change plans now or at the end of my contract when I
might
> have more leverage with Cingular. I was thinking that since the GAIT
> coverage map covers the area
> http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GAIT_m... I might
> change to that plan with a Nokia 6340i or a Sony T62u phone. Which one of
> those phones is best to use with Cingular's GAIT plans?

I've used and been satisfied with the Nokia 6340i since December 2001.

> My current GSM plan
> has good coverage west of Nashville, TN but, their coverage east of
> Nashville could certainly be improved as seen on this map
> http://onlinestore.cingular.com/html/Maps/nation_GSM_ma... My other
> alternatives appear to be Sprint or Verizon. Sprint looks to have better
> prices than Verizon and about the same coverage by roaming off Verizon or
> some other cellular providers. Has anyone here negotiated a good deal
> changing from their GSM to a GAIT plan? And which phone is better to use
> with GAIT? Thanks much.

That coverage on the GAIT National plan is from Advantage Cellular System:
http://www.advantagecell.com/map.htm
Studying their phone offering shows they are TDMA; they are cellular B-band,
opposite Verizon.

As a Nashville market customer, you can get a GAIT phone and plan. It is not
a (visible) option for a Knoxville market customer.

John C.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:36:37 AM

In <5VbWc.20767$rP2.20516@hydra.nntpserver.com> on Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:39:22
-0500, "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote:

>What are the advantages of GPRS? ...

High-speed data.

August 23, 2004 8:57:58 PM

"John Cummings" <n4bkn.no@spam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> That coverage on the GAIT National plan is from Advantage Cellular System:
> http://www.advantagecell.com/map.htm
> Studying their phone offering shows they are TDMA; they are cellular
B-band,
> opposite Verizon.
>
> As a Nashville market customer, you can get a GAIT phone and plan. It is
not
> a (visible) option for a Knoxville market customer.
>
> John C.

Thanks for the info. That enlightened me quite a bit about who Cingular has
an agreement with up there. I'm pretty familiar with the area up there but,
haven't paid much attention to the cellular providers around Smithville, TN.
It's a small town and Center Hill lake is the main attraction around there.
I did in fact win a Nokia 6340i GAIT phone off Ebay last night for $23
including shipping and it's in the box and has SIM. I called Cingular today
and even with me having 3 months left on my contract the lady said it would
be no problem to swap me over to a GAIT plan and that I just needed to call
Cingular back once my GAIT phone has arrived for them to set it up. She
also said my current rollover minutes which are currently over 1,000 could
be rolled over to the new GAIT plan as long as the GAIT plan was also a
rollover plan. So I'll get the 400 minute GAIT plan with rollover and 1,000
minutes for weekends and nights for $45. That plan looks pretty comparable
to the Sprint Free and Clear with 500 minutes and the $5 Free and Clear
America option for the same $45 which lets you roam all over with no roaming
charges. I don't have to sign up for another contract with Cingular so I'll
ride the GAIT out and see how things go. I do wonder if it is possible to
be on the Cingular GAIT plan and still Roam on a provider that does not have
an agreement with Cingular to where I ,might be charged a roaming fee? The
GAIT map looks to have great coverage all over the U.S. and it's sure been
nice with the Cingular GSM plan to never have any roaming charges. I hope
GAIT is the same way.

Ben
ke4rzi
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:05:01 PM

"DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> "John Cummings" <n4bkn.no@spam.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > That coverage on the GAIT National plan is from Advantage Cellular
System:
> > http://www.advantagecell.com/map.htm
> > Studying their phone offering shows they are TDMA; they are cellular
> B-band,
> > opposite Verizon.
> >
> > As a Nashville market customer, you can get a GAIT phone and plan. It is
> not
> > a (visible) option for a Knoxville market customer.
> >
> > John C.
>
> Thanks for the info. That enlightened me quite a bit about who Cingular
has
> an agreement with up there. I'm pretty familiar with the area up there
but,
> haven't paid much attention to the cellular providers around Smithville,
TN.
> It's a small town and Center Hill lake is the main attraction around
there.
> I did in fact win a Nokia 6340i GAIT phone off Ebay last night for $23
> including shipping and it's in the box and has SIM. I called Cingular
today
> and even with me having 3 months left on my contract the lady said it
would
> be no problem to swap me over to a GAIT plan and that I just needed to
call
> Cingular back once my GAIT phone has arrived for them to set it up. She
> also said my current rollover minutes which are currently over 1,000 could
> be rolled over to the new GAIT plan as long as the GAIT plan was also a
> rollover plan. So I'll get the 400 minute GAIT plan with rollover and
1,000
> minutes for weekends and nights for $45. That plan looks pretty
comparable
> to the Sprint Free and Clear with 500 minutes and the $5 Free and Clear
> America option for the same $45 which lets you roam all over with no
roaming
> charges. I don't have to sign up for another contract with Cingular so
I'll
> ride the GAIT out and see how things go. I do wonder if it is possible to
> be on the Cingular GAIT plan and still Roam on a provider that does not
have
> an agreement with Cingular to where I ,might be charged a roaming fee?
The
> GAIT map looks to have great coverage all over the U.S. and it's sure been
> nice with the Cingular GSM plan to never have any roaming charges. I hope
> GAIT is the same way.
>
> Ben
> ke4rzi

That's the only questionable part--when "Cingular Extend" is showing, is
this call included or $.79/minute? I don't test this enough, I've been
willing to take the GAIT National map at face value. I don't travel enough,
either. The example of roaming where I make the most calls is Ouchitah
Parish, Louisiana. Cingular covers with PCS Monroe and Bastrop, US-167 and
I-20. ATTWS covers most of northern Louisiana on cellular. Cingular plans
show complete northern coverage, and my 6340i shows "Cingular" in rural
areas where ATTWS is alone. If it's available to the local plan, it seems to
be included.

Since your 6340i includes a SIM, presumably GAIT, you should be able to do
it all by phone. Since Cingular has laid off all of their store technicians,
there's not much reason to go by in person. Call in by another phone when
you're ready, where there's good light (and a magnifier <grin>) to read out
IMEI, ESN and the number on the SIM (forgot that acronym!).

Getting your phone numbers from your present GSM phone to the 6340i could be
by infra-red, if available on your present phone. The 6340i has a good phone
memory phonebook, that lets one name have several numbers under it. Or copy
from present phone's memory to GAIT SIM, and insert into 6340i, setting to
"use SIM memory" for phonebook. Later, copy from SIM to phone, combining as
possible under one name, one by one.

John C.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:20:25 AM

If you are on a GAIT Nation plan, Cingular Extend doesn't mean anything rate
or roaming wise. Any signal you pick up and let's you make a call will use
plan minutes and not charge anything additional.

Chris

> [...]
> it all by phone. Since Cingular has laid off all of their store
> technicians,
> there's not much reason to go by in person. Call in by another phone when
> you're ready, where there's good light (and a magnifier <grin>) to read
> out
> IMEI, ESN and the number on the SIM (forgot that acronym!).
>
> Getting your phone numbers from your present GSM phone to the 6340i could
> be
> by infra-red, if available on your present phone. The 6340i has a good
> phone
> memory phonebook, that lets one name have several numbers under it. Or
> copy
> from present phone's memory to GAIT SIM, and insert into 6340i, setting to
> "use SIM memory" for phonebook. Later, copy from SIM to phone, combining

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 11:13:14 PM

Well I've got another news flash. I called Cingular again a few minutes ago
and talked to a lady who says that I can in fact still get a GAIT plan and
that it is no trouble. Apparently the lady I talked to at lunch today
didn't know a lot about the GAIT plans and was apparently using the ESN# off
one of my GSM only phones to look for available plans and the only plans
available to my current phones are GSM only plans. I got the name of the
lady I talked to this evening and she told me if I had any problem to have
who ever I talk to next at Cingular customer service to send her an E-mail
and she would call me back. She said that once I give the ESN# off my Nokia
6340i the available GAIT plans will come up and I can swap my plan over.
Whew, this has had me on a bit of a roller coaster but, hopefully things
will come out good. I even ordered another Nokia 6340i off of Ebay because
it was so darn cheap and if I have a problem with one phone I'll just swap
service over to the other. I've heard about people taking a SIM out of one
phone and putting it in another and it working fine and charging the owner
of the SIM on their bill. Does it matter to Cingular what phone you put the
SIM in? Do they have some way of keeping up with which phone the SIM is in?
My wife really likes these little Sony T616 GSM only phones. Would there be
anything wrong with using the SIM out of my Nokia 6340i in my Sony T616 when
I am in my home town and then putting the SIM back in the GAIT phone when I
go out of town? I have no idea if that is something that Cingular condones
or whether it will work correctly or not. Just curious.

Ben
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:16:13 AM

John Cummings wrote:

> That's the only questionable part--when "Cingular Extend" is showing, is
> this call included or $.79/minute? I don't test this enough, I've been
> willing to take the GAIT National map at face value. I don't travel enough,
> either. The example of roaming where I make the most calls is Ouchitah
> Parish, Louisiana. Cingular covers with PCS Monroe and Bastrop, US-167 and
> I-20. ATTWS covers most of northern Louisiana on cellular. Cingular plans
> show complete northern coverage, and my 6340i shows "Cingular" in rural
> areas where ATTWS is alone. If it's available to the local plan, it seems to
> be included.
>
> John C.

I recently switched from a GAIT regional plan to GAIT Nationwide. When I
was on the regional plan, "Cingular Extend" used to mean I was roaming.
After 1 month on the GAIT Nation plan, there were no roaming charges
even though a lot of the time while I was traveling in TN the phone was
showing "Cingular Extend".

JPH
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:11:09 AM

In <fQQWc.36043$rP2.34896@hydra.nntpserver.com> on Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:13:14
-0500, "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote:

>... I've heard about people taking a SIM out of one
>phone and putting it in another and it working fine and charging the owner
>of the SIM on their bill.

Correct.

>Does it matter to Cingular what phone you put the
>SIM in?

In general, no, unless you ask for a support on a phone that you bought
someplace else.

>Do they have some way of keeping up with which phone the SIM is in?

Yes, but they won't bother.

>My wife really likes these little Sony T616 GSM only phones. Would there be
>anything wrong with using the SIM out of my Nokia 6340i in my Sony T616 when
>I am in my home town and then putting the SIM back in the GAIT phone when I
>go out of town? I have no idea if that is something that Cingular condones
>or whether it will work correctly or not. Just curious.

A GAIT SIM should work fine in a GSM-only phone, including the T616.

August 29, 2004 2:17:02 AM

Got my used Nokia 6340i via Fedex today and called Cingular and had it
activated and my plan swapped from GSM to GAIT. I've also got a Sony T62u
coming in the mail too since I found one cheap on Ebay and figured I could
try each and see which I liked best. Is there a website that shows the
commands you use to show the lifetime use timer so I can see how many hours
of use this phone has had since it was new? Or the command to do a total
reset of the phone. Not the factory default one but, the one where it wipes
out everything? The 12345 does work for the phone's pin# so that's not
really an issue. Then again, how do you get the phone updated with the
latest bios update or what ever? Take it to my local Cingular dealer? Hmm,
one other thing. Ever since I received my first voice mail and checked it
with this Nokia the voice mail indicator has been on ever since and won't go
off. I don't know why it won't go away and I discarded all the voice mails
and it says I have none. The phone just doesn't know this and the indicator
was not on when I got it. Thanks much for the help.

Ben
August 29, 2004 3:52:55 AM

DynoSauR wrote:
[....]

> Ever since I received my first voice mail and checked it
> with this Nokia the voice mail indicator has been on ever since and won't go
> off. I don't know why it won't go away and I discarded all the voice mails
> and it says I have none. The phone just doesn't know this and the indicator
> was not on when I got it. Thanks much for the help.
>
> Ben

Apparently the voice mail system and your handset disagree as to whether
the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) is supposed to be on. When this
happened to me, I left myself a message, retrieved it, and everything
synched up.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<cgrnd0$tqd@library1.airnews.net>...
> DynoSauR wrote:
> [....]
>
> > Ever since I received my first voice mail and checked it
> > with this Nokia the voice mail indicator has been on ever since and won't go
> > off. I don't know why it won't go away and I discarded all the voice mails
> > and it says I have none. The phone just doesn't know this and the indicator
> > was not on when I got it. Thanks much for the help.
> >
> > Ben
> >

> Apparently the voice mail system and your handset disagree as to whether
> the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) is supposed to be on. When this
> happened to me, I left myself a message, retrieved it, and everything
> synched up.

I went into my mailbox in the phone and there were some unsent
messages in there but, I didnt' see anything else and I had the phone
delete all messages and shortly there after the message indicator went
off. It was either that or I turned my phone off for around 10
minutes and then back on and the indicator was off. Not sure which
thing did it but, it's working right now. I'd still like for someone
to explain how to get the Nokia 6340i updated and maybe a list of the
hidden menu commands for that phone.

Ben
August 29, 2004 9:04:46 PM

DynoSauR wrote:

> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<cgrnd0$tqd@library1.airnews.net>...
>
>>DynoSauR wrote:
>>[....]
>>

>>>Ever since I received my first voice mail and checked it
>>>with this Nokia the voice mail indicator has been on ever since and won't go
>>>off. I don't know why it won't go away and I discarded all the voice mails
>>>and it says I have none. The phone just doesn't know this and the indicator
>>>was not on when I got it. Thanks much for the help.
>>>
>>>Ben
>>>

>>Apparently the voice mail system and your handset disagree as to whether
>>the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) is supposed to be on. When this
>>happened to me, I left myself a message, retrieved it, and everything
>>synched up.
>

> I went into my mailbox in the phone and there were some unsent
> messages in there but, I didnt' see anything else and I had the phone
> delete all messages and shortly there after the message indicator went
> off. It was either that or I turned my phone off for around 10
> minutes and then back on and the indicator was off. Not sure which
> thing did it but, it's working right now. I'd still like for someone
> to explain how to get the Nokia 6340i updated and maybe a list of the
> hidden menu commands for that phone.
>
> Ben

Okay, maybe I was confused... according to my understanding, the
handset tracks unread/unsent text messages on it's own (independent of
external network resources) - and the Nokia indicator is an icon in the
upper left corner of the display (looks like a notpad).

V-mail, OTOH, is another kettle of fish. Unheard v-mail messages are
indicated by a different icon (looks like a phone), also in the upper
left corner of the Nokia display (adjacent to the text message icon).
Maintenance of the v-mail icon (MWI) is dependent upon an external
network resource, ie. the v-mail system operated by your carrier. Each
time the handset is initialised (power on), your v-mail account is
checked to determnine if your MWI icon should be turned on. If it is, a
control signal is sent to the handset to activate the MWI icon and
provide the unheard message count. If not, the handset receives nothing
and the MWI icon stays off.

It's conceivable that the v-mail system and a handset's MWI icon can get
out of sync, likely due to a control signal getting lost somewhere in
the bowels of the network during transit. I also recall at one time
that Cingular was experiencing this very issue, and they supposedly
found the gremlin causing it. That seems plausible because I've not
experienced this for some time now.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 9:45:11 PM

The indicator looked like a reel to reel tape in the top left of the Nokia
display. 2 reels with one piece of tape connecting them. I don't know much
about this Nokia phone but, it's straightened out now. How does one get
these things updated to the latest firmware? I'm a little anxious to try
out the Sony T62u and see how I like it. The audio quality of this Nokia is
ok but, not as good as the Sony T616 GSM only phones the wife and I have
been using. The battery life of the Nokia looks like it is supposed to be a
lot better than the T62u though. I don't see any larger batteries listed
for the T62u on the Sony Ericsson website though. I'm looking forward to
going out of my normal home area and actually getting it to roam on TDMA or
Analog.

Ben
> DynoSauR wrote:
>
> > Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> >
> >>DynoSauR wrote:
> >>[....]

> >>Apparently the voice mail system and your handset disagree as to whether
> >>the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) is supposed to be on. When this
> >>happened to me, I left myself a message, retrieved it, and everything
> >>synched up.
> >

> > I went into my mailbox in the phone and there were some unsent
> > messages in there but, I didnt' see anything else and I had the phone
> > delete all messages and shortly there after the message indicator went
> > off. It was either that or I turned my phone off for around 10
> > minutes and then back on and the indicator was off. Not sure which
> > thing did it but, it's working right now. I'd still like for someone
> > to explain how to get the Nokia 6340i updated and maybe a list of the
> > hidden menu commands for that phone.
> >
> > Ben
>

> Okay, maybe I was confused... according to my understanding, the
> handset tracks unread/unsent text messages on it's own (independent of
> external network resources) - and the Nokia indicator is an icon in the
> upper left corner of the display (looks like a notpad).
>
> V-mail, OTOH, is another kettle of fish. Unheard v-mail messages are
> indicated by a different icon (looks like a phone), also in the upper
> left corner of the Nokia display (adjacent to the text message icon).
> Maintenance of the v-mail icon (MWI) is dependent upon an external
> network resource, ie. the v-mail system operated by your carrier. Each
> time the handset is initialised (power on), your v-mail account is
> checked to determnine if your MWI icon should be turned on. If it is, a
> control signal is sent to the handset to activate the MWI icon and
> provide the unheard message count. If not, the handset receives nothing
> and the MWI icon stays off.
>
> It's conceivable that the v-mail system and a handset's MWI icon can get
> out of sync, likely due to a control signal getting lost somewhere in
> the bowels of the network during transit. I also recall at one time
> that Cingular was experiencing this very issue, and they supposedly
> found the gremlin causing it. That seems plausible because I've not
> experienced this for some time now.
>

> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
> "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
> what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

August 29, 2004 11:41:05 PM

DynoSauR wrote:

> The indicator looked like a reel to reel tape in the top left of the Nokia
> display. 2 reels with one piece of tape connecting them. I don't know much
> about this Nokia phone but, it's straightened out now.

Is that what that is?! All this time I thought it was a icon of a
telephone handset, but your tape reel angle somehow makes more sense.
Thanks for lowering my doofus quotient a bit. :)

> How does one get
> these things updated to the latest firmware? I'm a little anxious to try
> out the Sony T62u and see how I like it. The audio quality of this Nokia is
> ok but, not as good as the Sony T616 GSM only phones the wife and I have
> been using. The battery life of the Nokia looks like it is supposed to be a
> lot better than the T62u though. I don't see any larger batteries listed
> for the T62u on the Sony Ericsson website though. I'm looking forward to
> going out of my normal home area and actually getting it to roam on TDMA or
> Analog.

This has been discussed around here before, and I believe the consensus
is you best solicit the aid of someone with the special equipment to do
this - along with a warranty in case they fry it. It is my impression
that this firmware enhancement would not typically be found at your
carrier's retail store front. Maybe a Nokia service bench via parcel mail.

Anyone have something more specific on this?

--
!