Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon ink cartridge contamination

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:55:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I had made a request to Canon as to the cause of the problem. Their
first reply telling me to inspect the tank seating, printhead seating,
and a do a few deep cleaning cycles - all of which I have done numerous
times. If my problem still continued it likely was the printhead and I
was given a number to the parts department.

Below is my reply to Canon on what I found when I took the printer
apart:

---------------------------------

What I'd really like to know is how does the cross
contamination occur? I've had the yellow tank contaminated three times
now. In all cases I thoroughly rinsed all ink from the print head (I
even removed the two screws holding the print head to the plastic
carrier and rinsed the rubber washer between the printhead and the
carrier). After doing this the printhead printed fine with fresh ink
tanks. I don't see how any cross contamination can occur in the
printhead - each color ink has a separate path to the print head.

I've now disassembled the printer - with particular attention to the ink
waste area. Printers are second to VCRs in the wonder of their
mechanical design! I read one post on a newsgroup saying the hoses on
the ink pump get brittle - mine were just fine - soft and supple. The
pump appeared to work when I manually turned it - ink came out the tubes
on the bottom side. Possibly the small rubber trays that raise up and
sealed against the bottom of the printhead are not making their seal - I
would have expected to find a pool of ink in the trays if that was the
case - there was none. I re-assembled the printer with new tanks and
its currently printing correctly.

But... as before, if I let it set for a few hours, the yellow will print
green. I'm sure if I let it set for days, the cyan would be leeched up
into the yellow tank as it has done three times already. I did run the
printer with the cover off and watched the printhead park. It appears
the rubber trays are raised to seal the printhead when not in use. This
is the only time there is an direct path between the cyan and yellow
tanks. When the printer sits for a long period, can the inks possibly
slowly drain from the tanks into the rubber trays sealing the bottom of
the print head - filling the tray - and seeping back up into the other
color tanks?

Obviously with the thousands of the i850s/i860s Canon has sold, I know
I'm not the only one to experience this.

Can Canon offer an explanation? What specifically can cause this? I
don't see how a new printhead can correct this - if so, what failed in
the printhead? There just isn't much there to fail. I'd hate to spend
$52 on a new printhead when I can buy an ip3000 for $80.

------------------------

Of couse I haven't told them I have been using generic ink tanks - that
too easy of an out for them. (I've gone through one set of generics
before my problems started) If my theory on ink pooling in the trays
when the printhead is parked is correct, a thinner ink might be to
blame.

Interestingly enough - I contacted the generic ink manufacturer
(abcink.com) and explained the problem - they apologized for my having
problems with their product and offered me a credit on my order...
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 7:57:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Michael Brown wrote:
> I had made a request to Canon as to the cause of the problem. Their
> first reply telling me to inspect the tank seating, printhead seating,
> and a do a few deep cleaning cycles - all of which I have done
> numerous times. If my problem still continued it likely was the
> printhead and I was given a number to the parts department.
>
> Below is my reply to Canon on what I found when I took the printer
> apart:
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> What I'd really like to know is how does the cross
> contamination occur? I've had the yellow tank contaminated three
> times now. In all cases I thoroughly rinsed all ink from the print
> head (I even removed the two screws holding the print head to the
> plastic carrier and rinsed the rubber washer between the printhead
> and the carrier). After doing this the printhead printed fine with
> fresh ink tanks. I don't see how any cross contamination can occur
> in the printhead - each color ink has a separate path to the print
> head.
>
> I've now disassembled the printer - with particular attention to the
> ink waste area. Printers are second to VCRs in the wonder of their
> mechanical design! I read one post on a newsgroup saying the hoses on
> the ink pump get brittle - mine were just fine - soft and supple. The
> pump appeared to work when I manually turned it - ink came out the
> tubes on the bottom side. Possibly the small rubber trays that raise
> up and sealed against the bottom of the printhead are not making
> their seal - I would have expected to find a pool of ink in the trays
> if that was the case - there was none. I re-assembled the printer
> with new tanks and its currently printing correctly.
>
> But... as before, if I let it set for a few hours, the yellow will
> print green. I'm sure if I let it set for days, the cyan would be
> leeched up into the yellow tank as it has done three times already.
> I did run the printer with the cover off and watched the printhead
> park. It appears the rubber trays are raised to seal the printhead
> when not in use. This is the only time there is an direct path
> between the cyan and yellow tanks. When the printer sits for a long
> period, can the inks possibly slowly drain from the tanks into the
> rubber trays sealing the bottom of the print head - filling the tray
> - and seeping back up into the other color tanks?
>
> Obviously with the thousands of the i850s/i860s Canon has sold, I know
> I'm not the only one to experience this.
>
> Can Canon offer an explanation? What specifically can cause this? I
> don't see how a new printhead can correct this - if so, what failed in
> the printhead? There just isn't much there to fail. I'd hate to
> spend $52 on a new printhead when I can buy an ip3000 for $80.
>
> ------------------------
>
> Of couse I haven't told them I have been using generic ink tanks -
> that too easy of an out for them. (I've gone through one set of
> generics before my problems started) If my theory on ink pooling in
> the trays when the printhead is parked is correct, a thinner ink
> might be to blame.
>
> Interestingly enough - I contacted the generic ink manufacturer
> (abcink.com) and explained the problem - they apologized for my having
> problems with their product and offered me a credit on my order...

Yep, i've had the same problem...it started with yellow, after a while
magenta, too. But, i told service i refilled and they said it's wrong kind
of ink and as a result ink barriers in the head corrode and start to leak...
Then i ran one or two head clean and it was OK when i printed, but same
after a few hours or next day.
The last question is did you save enough with refilling (or generic carts)
for new printer or not...i just did, so i don't care too much, but if you
didn't...well...
Now, i just wonder, if it's anyone out there with same problem, only with
using Canon carts ONLY...
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 7:57:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Now that I think about it - I've notice when I print a page with a lot
of coverage, the sheet has a faint ammonia smell to it until the ink
completely dries, can't remember if that was the same when I used the
Canon tanks.

It would seem all tanks would be contaminated if it was related to the
parking area - not just the yellow with cyan in it. That would also take
a lot of ink to fill up the tray that seals up against the bottom of the
printer. So a breakdown of something in the printhead sounds
reasonable.

I'm going to try this, deep clean the printhead until all colors are
printing correctly. Then remove the printhead from the printer with the
tanks installed (if I can do that). At this point pressing a paper towel
to printhead should get four distinct color bands. Then I'll let it sit
for a day and check again with a paper towel - if the yellow is green,
then the contamination occured in the printhead.

I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has used
only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Michael Brown wrote:
> Now that I think about it - I've notice when I print a page with a lot
> of coverage, the sheet has a faint ammonia smell to it until the ink
> completely dries, can't remember if that was the same when I used the
> Canon tanks.
>
> It would seem all tanks would be contaminated if it was related to the
> parking area - not just the yellow with cyan in it. That would also
> take a lot of ink to fill up the tray that seals up against the
> bottom of the printer. So a breakdown of something in the printhead
> sounds reasonable.
>
> I'm going to try this, deep clean the printhead until all colors are
> printing correctly. Then remove the printhead from the printer with
> the tanks installed (if I can do that). At this point pressing a
> paper towel to printhead should get four distinct color bands. Then
> I'll let it sit for a day and check again with a paper towel - if the
> yellow is green, then the contamination occured in the printhead.
>
> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
> used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.

At first i was sure that now (on my ip4000) i'll use original ink only, but
after sleeping over, i'm not so sure anymore. At last, i gained a few bucks
with refilling - i refilled about 5 times and the amount saved was about
50-100 USD bigger than the cost of new ip4000. And i didn't see any
difference in colors. I have to decide about this yet...

BTW - i don't think you can actually remove the head with ink tanks
installed. But, i think that removing them for 5 seconds won't play any
part...Other possible test would be cleaning the head, then installing only
one ink, wait for one day and then see if there's color in other two parts.
Unfortunately, i already wasted my head, so i can't do any tests anymore...
November 10, 2004 11:48:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Michael Brown" <mtb@sgi.com> wrote in message
news:41922BE7.F8F67A3E@sgi.com...
>I had made a request to Canon as to the cause of the problem. Their
> first reply telling me to inspect the tank seating, printhead seating,
> and a do a few deep cleaning cycles - all of which I have done numerous
> times. If my problem still continued it likely was the printhead and I
> was given a number to the parts department.
>
> Below is my reply to Canon on what I found when I took the printer
> apart:
>
> ---------------------------------
>
Hi Michael,
Don't know if this is any help but on my Canon printer some time ago it
started printing all my photographs with a strong green cast.
Like you, I tried everything. Lots of cleaning, new cartridges (both
genuine Canon and also other makers) and all to no avail.
Canon engineers said it must be the print head so I bought a new one
and hey presto since then it has been perfect.
That was 12 months ago but a few weeks ago I decided to try the old
print head again and fitted it to the printer. Yes I was back to my green
pictures again. Everything was great after swapping the print head back.
Hope you have some luck with it.
Kind regards. Vic.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:26:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Just thought I'd mention that I had the same problem with a cartridge on a
Lexmark X83. The color cartridge is 3 colors in one & has the head built it.
Only happened after I refilled with "JR Universal Inkjet Refill".
Very thin ink & (to me) seems to be very prone to capillary action. I might
be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the ink is to blame in my case. Even the
black from the same company is VERY, very thin. Seeps through like metho!!
You have to wait half an hour for it to stop seeping out the bottom (head)
before you can put it in the machine.
No more of that brand for me.
BruceM


"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:CArkd.5471$F6.1281744@news.siol.net...
> Michael Brown wrote:
> > Now that I think about it - I've notice when I print a page with a lot
> > of coverage, the sheet has a faint ammonia smell to it until the ink
> > completely dries, can't remember if that was the same when I used the
> > Canon tanks.
> >
> > It would seem all tanks would be contaminated if it was related to the
> > parking area - not just the yellow with cyan in it. That would also
> > take a lot of ink to fill up the tray that seals up against the
> > bottom of the printer. So a breakdown of something in the printhead
> > sounds reasonable.
> >
> > I'm going to try this, deep clean the printhead until all colors are
> > printing correctly. Then remove the printhead from the printer with
> > the tanks installed (if I can do that). At this point pressing a
> > paper towel to printhead should get four distinct color bands. Then
> > I'll let it sit for a day and check again with a paper towel - if the
> > yellow is green, then the contamination occured in the printhead.
> >
> > I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
> > used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.
>
> At first i was sure that now (on my ip4000) i'll use original ink only,
but
> after sleeping over, i'm not so sure anymore. At last, i gained a few
bucks
> with refilling - i refilled about 5 times and the amount saved was about
> 50-100 USD bigger than the cost of new ip4000. And i didn't see any
> difference in colors. I have to decide about this yet...
>
> BTW - i don't think you can actually remove the head with ink tanks
> installed. But, i think that removing them for 5 seconds won't play any
> part...Other possible test would be cleaning the head, then installing
only
> one ink, wait for one day and then see if there's color in other two
parts.
> Unfortunately, i already wasted my head, so i can't do any tests
anymore...
>
>
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:31:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:57 -0600, Michael Brown <mtb@sgi.com> wrote:

>I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has used
>only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.

I have had this happen on my 3 year old S800 twice. In my case the
yellow tank was getting magenta in it. Each time replacing the yellow
ink would solve the problem in the short run, but the cross
contamination would happen again overnight. Each time a new print
head fixed it. I only use Canon inks.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 8:16:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

BruceM wrote:
> Just thought I'd mention that I had the same problem with a cartridge
> on a Lexmark X83. The color cartridge is 3 colors in one & has the
> head built it. Only happened after I refilled with "JR Universal
> Inkjet Refill".
> Very thin ink & (to me) seems to be very prone to capillary action. I
> might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the ink is to blame in my
> case. Even the black from the same company is VERY, very thin. Seeps
> through like metho!! You have to wait half an hour for it to stop
> seeping out the bottom (head) before you can put it in the machine.
> No more of that brand for me.
> BruceM

I neved had problems with seeping - i always could insert cart right away.
And printing was perfect for a year and a half...once suddenly was started
to act funny...

>
>
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> news:CArkd.5471$F6.1281744@news.siol.net...
>> Michael Brown wrote:
>>> Now that I think about it - I've notice when I print a page with a
>>> lot of coverage, the sheet has a faint ammonia smell to it until
>>> the ink completely dries, can't remember if that was the same when
>>> I used the Canon tanks.
>>>
>>> It would seem all tanks would be contaminated if it was related to
>>> the parking area - not just the yellow with cyan in it. That would
>>> also take a lot of ink to fill up the tray that seals up against the
>>> bottom of the printer. So a breakdown of something in the printhead
>>> sounds reasonable.
>>>
>>> I'm going to try this, deep clean the printhead until all colors are
>>> printing correctly. Then remove the printhead from the printer with
>>> the tanks installed (if I can do that). At this point pressing a
>>> paper towel to printhead should get four distinct color bands. Then
>>> I'll let it sit for a day and check again with a paper towel - if
>>> the yellow is green, then the contamination occured in the
>>> printhead.
>>>
>>> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
>>> used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.
>>
>> At first i was sure that now (on my ip4000) i'll use original ink
>> only, but after sleeping over, i'm not so sure anymore. At last, i
>> gained a few bucks with refilling - i refilled about 5 times and the
>> amount saved was about 50-100 USD bigger than the cost of new
>> ip4000. And i didn't see any difference in colors. I have to decide
>> about this yet...
>>
>> BTW - i don't think you can actually remove the head with ink tanks
>> installed. But, i think that removing them for 5 seconds won't play
>> any part...Other possible test would be cleaning the head, then
>> installing only one ink, wait for one day and then see if there's
>> color in other two parts. Unfortunately, i already wasted my head,
>> so i can't do any tests anymore...
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 8:17:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Al Rudderham wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:57 -0600, Michael Brown <mtb@sgi.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
>> used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.
>
> I have had this happen on my 3 year old S800 twice. In my case the
> yellow tank was getting magenta in it. Each time replacing the yellow
> ink would solve the problem in the short run, but the cross
> contamination would happen again overnight. Each time a new print
> head fixed it. I only use Canon inks.

aha...so, i guess it's really head's fault and not ink...in that case i
think i'll refill again...
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 6:10:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I've had cross contamination, black into yellow, on my Canon i950. I am
using only Canon inks.

After repeated deep cleanings and attempts to blot up the ink, the printer
was donated to Goodwill.

Steve


"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:KTqkd.5468$F6.1281725@news.siol.net...
> Michael Brown wrote:
>> I had made a request to Canon as to the cause of the problem. Their
>> first reply telling me to inspect the tank seating, printhead seating,
>> and a do a few deep cleaning cycles - all of which I have done
>> numerous times. If my problem still continued it likely was the
>> printhead and I was given a number to the parts department.
>>
>> Below is my reply to Canon on what I found when I took the printer
>> apart:
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>>
>> What I'd really like to know is how does the cross
>> contamination occur? I've had the yellow tank contaminated three
>> times now. In all cases I thoroughly rinsed all ink from the print
>> head (I even removed the two screws holding the print head to the
>> plastic carrier and rinsed the rubber washer between the printhead
>> and the carrier). After doing this the printhead printed fine with
>> fresh ink tanks. I don't see how any cross contamination can occur
>> in the printhead - each color ink has a separate path to the print
>> head.
>>
>> I've now disassembled the printer - with particular attention to the
>> ink waste area. Printers are second to VCRs in the wonder of their
>> mechanical design! I read one post on a newsgroup saying the hoses on
>> the ink pump get brittle - mine were just fine - soft and supple. The
>> pump appeared to work when I manually turned it - ink came out the
>> tubes on the bottom side. Possibly the small rubber trays that raise
>> up and sealed against the bottom of the printhead are not making
>> their seal - I would have expected to find a pool of ink in the trays
>> if that was the case - there was none. I re-assembled the printer
>> with new tanks and its currently printing correctly.
>>
>> But... as before, if I let it set for a few hours, the yellow will
>> print green. I'm sure if I let it set for days, the cyan would be
>> leeched up into the yellow tank as it has done three times already.
>> I did run the printer with the cover off and watched the printhead
>> park. It appears the rubber trays are raised to seal the printhead
>> when not in use. This is the only time there is an direct path
>> between the cyan and yellow tanks. When the printer sits for a long
>> period, can the inks possibly slowly drain from the tanks into the
>> rubber trays sealing the bottom of the print head - filling the tray
>> - and seeping back up into the other color tanks?
>>
>> Obviously with the thousands of the i850s/i860s Canon has sold, I know
>> I'm not the only one to experience this.
>>
>> Can Canon offer an explanation? What specifically can cause this? I
>> don't see how a new printhead can correct this - if so, what failed in
>> the printhead? There just isn't much there to fail. I'd hate to
>> spend $52 on a new printhead when I can buy an ip3000 for $80.
>>
>> ------------------------
>>
>> Of couse I haven't told them I have been using generic ink tanks -
>> that too easy of an out for them. (I've gone through one set of
>> generics before my problems started) If my theory on ink pooling in
>> the trays when the printhead is parked is correct, a thinner ink
>> might be to blame.
>>
>> Interestingly enough - I contacted the generic ink manufacturer
>> (abcink.com) and explained the problem - they apologized for my having
>> problems with their product and offered me a credit on my order...
>
> Yep, i've had the same problem...it started with yellow, after a while
> magenta, too. But, i told service i refilled and they said it's wrong kind
> of ink and as a result ink barriers in the head corrode and start to
> leak... Then i ran one or two head clean and it was OK when i printed, but
> same after a few hours or next day.
> The last question is did you save enough with refilling (or generic carts)
> for new printer or not...i just did, so i don't care too much, but if you
> didn't...well...
> Now, i just wonder, if it's anyone out there with same problem, only with
> using Canon carts ONLY...
>
November 13, 2004 9:17:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Steve Dell wrote:

>I've had cross contamination, black into yellow, on my Canon i950. I am
>using only Canon inks.
>
>After repeated deep cleanings and attempts to blot up the ink, the printer
>was donated to Goodwill.

I'd like to know what the amount of printer failures from Canon's
i-series is now. It seems to me the failure rate is starting to climb
only two years after introduction.

Not a good sign.

My old HP Deskjet 520, which I gave to my parents years ago, is still
going strong today. And that was after sitting in a closet for a year
after I bought a newer printer to replace it.
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 9:21:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I've been using exclusively ink from inkjetsaver.com for 3 years of heavy
use in my S-750 and never had a single problem.


"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:hgMkd.5508$F6.1282081@news.siol.net...
> Al Rudderham wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:57 -0600, Michael Brown <mtb@sgi.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
> >> used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination problem.
> >
> > I have had this happen on my 3 year old S800 twice. In my case the
> > yellow tank was getting magenta in it. Each time replacing the yellow
> > ink would solve the problem in the short run, but the cross
> > contamination would happen again overnight. Each time a new print
> > head fixed it. I only use Canon inks.
>
> aha...so, i guess it's really head's fault and not ink...in that case i
> think i'll refill again...
>
>
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 12:44:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Dan G wrote:
> I've been using exclusively ink from inkjetsaver.com for 3 years of
> heavy use in my S-750 and never had a single problem.
>
>
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> news:hgMkd.5508$F6.1282081@news.siol.net...
>> Al Rudderham wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:57 -0600, Michael Brown <mtb@sgi.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
>>>> used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination
>>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I have had this happen on my 3 year old S800 twice. In my case the
>>> yellow tank was getting magenta in it. Each time replacing the
>>> yellow ink would solve the problem in the short run, but the cross
>>> contamination would happen again overnight. Each time a new print
>>> head fixed it. I only use Canon inks.
>>
>> aha...so, i guess it's really head's fault and not ink...in that
>> case i think i'll refill again...

Aha...so, you don't exactly refill, but rather buy compatibles...interesting
option...
But, now i see that ink probably wasn't the cause of my failure... i've read
some same problems from people using only Canon carts.
What's more, it seems that this head failure is pretty often in 'i' series.
I wonder, is the head in pixma series exactly the same or at least a bit
improved...
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:51:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

No, I refill, no compatibles here.


"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
news:qVEld.5579$F6.1283048@news.siol.net...
> Dan G wrote:
> > I've been using exclusively ink from inkjetsaver.com for 3 years of
> > heavy use in my S-750 and never had a single problem.
> >
> >
> > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> > news:hgMkd.5508$F6.1282081@news.siol.net...
> >> Al Rudderham wrote:
> >>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:57 -0600, Michael Brown <mtb@sgi.com>
> >>> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who has
> >>>> used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination
> >>>> problem.
> >>>
> >>> I have had this happen on my 3 year old S800 twice. In my case the
> >>> yellow tank was getting magenta in it. Each time replacing the
> >>> yellow ink would solve the problem in the short run, but the cross
> >>> contamination would happen again overnight. Each time a new print
> >>> head fixed it. I only use Canon inks.
> >>
> >> aha...so, i guess it's really head's fault and not ink...in that
> >> case i think i'll refill again...
>
> Aha...so, you don't exactly refill, but rather buy
compatibles...interesting
> option...
> But, now i see that ink probably wasn't the cause of my failure... i've
read
> some same problems from people using only Canon carts.
> What's more, it seems that this head failure is pretty often in 'i'
series.
> I wonder, is the head in pixma series exactly the same or at least a bit
> improved...
>
>
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Dan G wrote:
> No, I refill, no compatibles here.


Aha...i thought, since i quickly looked at the page and there are
compatibles available...not that i can use any of it, since it's too far
from me...
>
>
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> news:qVEld.5579$F6.1283048@news.siol.net...
>> Dan G wrote:
>>> I've been using exclusively ink from inkjetsaver.com for 3 years of
>>> heavy use in my S-750 and never had a single problem.
>>>
>>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>> news:hgMkd.5508$F6.1282081@news.siol.net...
>>>> Al Rudderham wrote:
>>>>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:24:57 -0600, Michael Brown <mtb@sgi.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I agree that it would be very interesting to know if anyone who
>>>>>> has used only used Canon tanks has had this cross contamination
>>>>>> problem.
>>>>>
>>>>> I have had this happen on my 3 year old S800 twice. In my case
>>>>> the yellow tank was getting magenta in it. Each time replacing
>>>>> the yellow ink would solve the problem in the short run, but the
>>>>> cross contamination would happen again overnight. Each time a
>>>>> new print head fixed it. I only use Canon inks.
>>>>
>>>> aha...so, i guess it's really head's fault and not ink...in that
>>>> case i think i'll refill again...
>>
>> Aha...so, you don't exactly refill, but rather buy
>> compatibles...interesting option...
>> But, now i see that ink probably wasn't the cause of my failure...
>> i've read some same problems from people using only Canon carts.
>> What's more, it seems that this head failure is pretty often in 'i'
>> series. I wonder, is the head in pixma series exactly the same or at
>> least a bit improved...
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:44:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Steve Dell wrote:

> I've had cross contamination, black into yellow, on my Canon i950. I am
> using only Canon inks.
>
> After repeated deep cleanings and attempts to blot up the ink, the printer
> was donated to Goodwill.
>
> Steve

Your black ink cartridge is leaking. It flooded the black channel of the print head.
If you let the printer sit for 10 minutes then remove the print head to examine it
you will see some black ink on the print head surface. Replace the cartridge will
fix it.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:03:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Stevelee" <" Stevelee wrote:
> Steve Dell wrote:
>
>> I've had cross contamination, black into yellow, on my Canon i950. I
>> am using only Canon inks.
>>
>> After repeated deep cleanings and attempts to blot up the ink, the
>> printer was donated to Goodwill.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Your black ink cartridge is leaking. It flooded the black channel of
> the print head. If you let the printer sit for 10 minutes then remove
> the print head to examine it you will see some black ink on the print
> head surface. Replace the cartridge will fix it.

Replacing all 4 carts didn't solve my situation (which was the same -
leaking). Cleaning it didn't save situation (it was done at service). It's
just what i said before...those tiny barriers between colors are
....gone...why? beats me...
January 5, 2005 5:28:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have the same yellow contamination problem with i950, using only
original Canon ink. I beleive i've changed black cartridges several
times since it started to happen.
Looks like a pretty common problem. Strange Canon does not know about
what's cuasing it - i've wasted several yellow cartridges an a lot of
time talking to Tech Support before i figured out myself that there is
contamination.

If it does not take too many prints ( printed no more than 100 large
photos over a year) to break the printer (or printhead, or whatever)
don't they have to recal it, or at least do not make us waste ink for
deep cleaning while diagnosing the problem?
!