wich one should i buy?

braitBR

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
hi there ^^
i have a problem: here, in brazil, the most sophisticated CPU avaliable to buy is AMD Athlon 64 754 (all models), and/or AMD Sempron up to 3100+ (754) and there is no really good motherboards (i don't want a SiS or VIA chipset) so, should I buy a AMD Athlon 754 (high price) or a Sempron (less expensive)? or should I wait for the Sempron 3400?? I think buying on USA is a good ideia, the price is lower... but we have a "wonderful" 60% (in R$) importation tax :( and there is no warranty... so, what you think about? what should i do? and Sempron 3400 is enough good to run games like Call of Duty, F.E.A.R and Unreal 2004 pretty fast?

leorick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
if you're planning on using it for Games, remove the sempron from your check list. it probably only run on 333/400 bus, somewhat slow. Go for the Athlon64 or the AthlonFX, these babies run on HT (not hyperthreading, hyper transport :D). For motherboards, any Asus brands over there?

And dont forget, games also depend on other stuffs like RAM and of course a kick ass video card.

linux_0

Splendid
I would recommend ordering a socket 939 nForce4 motherboard and 939 CPU online.

939 supports a 1000MHz hypertransport vs. only 800MHz in the 754
939 supports dual channel while 754 only does single channel
939 is Dual core capable whereas 754 is only single core

There may be legal ways to avoid the importation tax - you might want to check the status of the South American free trade agreement and do some research on your local laws. Maybe you can have a friend ship it to you or something.

Good luck! :)

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
hi there ^^
i have a problem: here, in brazil, the most sophisticated CPU avaliable to buy is AMD Athlon 64 754 (all models), and/or AMD Sempron up to 3100+ (754) and there is no really good motherboards (i don't want a SiS or VIA chipset) so, should I buy a AMD Athlon 754 (high price) or a Sempron (less expensive)? or should I wait for the Sempron 3400?? I think buying on USA is a good ideia, the price is lower... but we have a "wonderful" 60% (in R$) importation tax :( and there is no warranty... so, what you think about? what should i do? and Sempron 3400 is enough good to run games like Call of Duty, F.E.A.R and Unreal 2004 pretty fast?

Hey there, I have pretty much your same problem, I'm from Peru, and I can't find any good AMD processors, and if I order something from US I would also have to pay lots of taxes =/ Luckly for me, my uncle is coming from US to Peru, so I'm asking him to bring me a new processor and video card. You should try to do the same, find a friend or relative who is returning from US and ask him to bring you stuff.

Can't you find 939 processors over there? Are you absolutely sure? I think I can even find those here and your country is more devoloped lol

braitBR

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
no, i (probaly) can find 939 processors.... but they are hmmm.... 100% more expensive than 754 =D and I live in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais state, and everything considered "hi-tech" here is in São Paulo or Manaus... sometimes Rio... but still hard to find...

A Sempron 3400 would be about as fast as an Athlon 64/3000+, roughly....so I think it would do the job if you canot actually find an Athlon 64/3200+ or 3500+ reasonably priced...

(The Via and SIS chipsets are not *that* much slower in gaming, although an older Nforce 3 socket 754 would offer the best performance..)

(For gaming, the largest factor is the graphics card anyway...see if you can find a 6600GT, or perhaps a 6800GS, for roughly $130 and $209 at current US prices.....

pat

Expert
hi there ^^

Listen.. the only difference between the Sempron and real A64 are the cache. Some Sempron has 128, some 256. A64 has 512. That being said, ignore all the blurb about bus speed, dual channel.. and all fuzzy term that people want to use to look knowledgeable.

The sempron, higher than 3100+ would perform very good, if they have 512 megs and more RAM and a nice video card.

A nice 6600gt in AGP or PCIe or ATI X1600XT will do great for all game today. Unless you have more budget, then a faster video card would help more than a faster CPU.

Then, as for the mobo, maybe the nforce chipset is faster than the other, but the question is, will you notice it?? The answer is no. Unless you benchmark the machine, everything will look the same no matter the chipset used. And don't be fooled, current A64 chipset are very good. I've used them all and none of them has to give me problem yet.

Now, to look more knowledgeable, I'll put some buzz word and sentences at the end of my post..Dual core, opteron, dual channel, latency, timing, hyper transport, RAID, bandwidth, cool and quiet,...