Sign in with
Your question

Intel CPU Box Contents?

Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2006 9:44:28 AM

Recently I ordered an Intel Pentium 4 640 for my gaming rig, and I'm wondering if the box will contain thermal poaste or will I have to buy my own?

More about : intel cpu box contents

January 17, 2006 9:47:08 AM

If its a retail box, then it should come with a stock cooler and a bit of thermal gunk on the bottom of it.

It's well worth your time to scrape that off and put a bit of Arctic Silver 5 on it though, even though it is expensive. Just lets the cpu run a wee bit cooler.
January 17, 2006 9:48:15 AM

But I heard that Intel Thermal paste works best on the Prescotts, apparently there is some kind of secret behind it..
Related resources
January 17, 2006 9:51:32 AM

I'm not sure about that, I've never ran any Intels :p  But I know thats how AMDs come packed, and I reckon they boht must be the same...

I'll wait till some Intel people come round before I say anything more.
January 17, 2006 11:04:48 AM

630 - yes... i suppose the same for the rest of the series

Ara
January 17, 2006 1:20:01 PM

Aye the posters above are correct.

Boxed AMD and Intel CPUs come with a stock heatsink and fan with a thermal pad pre-applied.

Heatsink compound is not necessary if the thermal pad is present and intact.

It is rumored the factory heatsink compound / thermal pad is as good as or better than 3rd party supplied heatsink compound.

If you choose to use 3rd party heatsink compound the factory applied thermal pad MUST be removed. 90 or 70% alcohol seems to work best for the task.

Hope this helps :-)
January 17, 2006 3:11:15 PM

Thanks! Time to bust out the Absinthe!
January 17, 2006 3:24:56 PM

Quote:
It's well worth your time to scrape that off and put a bit of Arctic Silver 5 on it though, even though it is expensive. Just lets the cpu run a wee bit cooler.
Ach! No no no!

The thermal pads are damn good. (At least the ones that Intel uses. I haven't messed with AMD enough to know if theirs are as good.) It's very difficult to beat them. AS5, once it sets, might give you a 1C difference, and probably not even that much.

AS5 is great stuff, but it's not worth it if you've already got the pad. I only use AS5 when I've pulled the system apart or am not using the stock HSF, so I need to use a new TIM anyway.

Pads are quick, easy, and very effective.
January 17, 2006 3:59:38 PM

Fair enough... I've only used AMD ones. Heard from a few sources AS5 was what to go for, and I don't use stock HS (got an Arctic Freezer 64 atm - not the best).
January 17, 2006 5:09:18 PM

Yeah. If you're not using a stock HSF (and thus don't have a pad) then it's definately AS5 all the way. But while using the retail cooler, there's really no reason to scrap the pad. :) 
January 17, 2006 5:13:29 PM

I agree with you, but doubt AS5 would make a one degree Celsius change... maybe, but doubt it...
Altho, AS5 is what I use...
January 17, 2006 5:41:51 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, but doubt AS5 would make a one degree Celsius change... maybe, but doubt it...
Altho, AS5 is what I use...
'Tis why I said "might give you a 1C difference, and probably not even that much". :wink:

And I use AS5 too. But then I don't exactly have the stock HSF anymore. In fact my HS doesn't even have a F anymore. :mrgreen:

Of course, come to think of it, I don't even know if I have a computer anymore. :? I wonder when I'll get it back and in what condition it'll be when/if I do.
January 17, 2006 6:10:46 PM

The stock heatsink/fan assembly for the Intel LGA775 makes a circular contact with it's pad on the cpu's surface, leaving the four corners of the chip untouched/cooled
January 17, 2006 6:17:07 PM

Quote:
leaving the four corners of the chip untouched/cooled
The four corners of the die, or the four corners of the heatspreader? I'd be willing to bet the latter and not the former.
January 17, 2006 6:26:33 PM

Stock hsf units can have large iregularities in the base. For those who are not used to applying a TIM, the stock pad is much better.
Before I use AS5, I lap the base. Since lapping doesn't do much for the A64s, I dont do much of it lately. With a prescott, it is a much better idea, can lower temps by as much as 5c.
!