System Restore Deletes Files???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I am running Windows XP Pro, and updated almost a week ago to SP2, which I'm
still having some problems with.

This morning, after a reboot, I had some serious problems with Windows
Explorer, and I ran System Restore, to restore a previous configuration. I
had no very recent restore point, I had to use one from a few days ago.
(Still after SP2 installation, however.)

Something surprised me though--some files I had downloaded yesterday were
now missing from my hard drive. They were not in any way system files, or in
any system location. ( Located in my C:\Downloads folder.) Others that I
downloaded yesterday were still there.

Some of these missing downloaded files were large files, and I have a slow
dial-up connection. I am now re-downloading those files, but I wish I didn't
have to.

I am surprised that this happened. I thought that System Restore just dealt
with registry settings, configuration files, etc. In restoring the computer
to a previous state, does it try to make the hard drive EXACTLY the same as
it was when the restore point was created, including which files are on it,
and deletes any files added after the restore point was created? If so, why?
And if so, why did it delete some of my files added since then, and did not
delete others?

If that's the case, any way to change the settings for System Restore so
that it will only change files dealing with the system configuration, and
not delete other files, etc.?

Also, since one can undo a restoration, I assume that SR has saved the files
it deleted somewhere. Where are they saved, and is there any way to get
individual files back, without undo-ing the restoration? (If I knew how to
get those files back, I wouldn't have to be re-downloading several large
files right now.)

Thank you to anyone who can help.
3 answers Last reply
More about system restore deletes files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP Pro, and updated almost a week ago to SP2, which
    >I'm still having some problems with.
    >
    > This morning, after a reboot, I had some serious problems with Windows
    > Explorer, and I ran System Restore, to restore a previous configuration. I
    > had no very recent restore point, I had to use one from a few days ago.
    > (Still after SP2 installation, however.)
    >
    > Something surprised me though--some files I had downloaded yesterday were
    > now missing from my hard drive. They were not in any way system files, or
    > in any system location. ( Located in my C:\Downloads folder.) Others that
    > I downloaded yesterday were still there.
    >
    > Some of these missing downloaded files were large files, and I have a slow
    > dial-up connection. I am now re-downloading those files, but I wish I
    > didn't have to.
    >
    > I am surprised that this happened. I thought that System Restore just
    > dealt with registry settings, configuration files, etc. In restoring the
    > computer to a previous state, does it try to make the hard drive EXACTLY
    > the same as it was when the restore point was created, including which
    > files are on it, and deletes any files added after the restore point was
    > created? If so, why? And if so, why did it delete some of my files added
    > since then, and did not delete others?
    >
    > If that's the case, any way to change the settings for System Restore so
    > that it will only change files dealing with the system configuration, and
    > not delete other files, etc.?
    >
    > Also, since one can undo a restoration, I assume that SR has saved the
    > files it deleted somewhere. Where are they saved, and is there any way to
    > get individual files back, without undo-ing the restoration? (If I knew
    > how to get those files back, I wouldn't have to be re-downloading several
    > large files right now.)
    >
    > Thank you to anyone who can help.

    My Documents is usually a safe place to store files. Anything on the desktop
    is at risk. Other places...who knows? System Restore is supposed to deal
    with system files only, but I really don't trust that any program that's
    going to do major changes to the system is going to be careful with my
    stuff. Lucky for you it was only downloads and not photos that can't be
    replaced.

    You might want to move that downloads folder inside My Documents and see if
    it's safer there.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    One workaround is to TEMPORARILY undo the restoration, if possible (after
    setting a current Restore point). Then pop the files you want to preserve
    from C:\Downloads into your "My Documents" folder (which is unaffected by
    System Restore). Then restore back to your current state.

    Otherwise the System Restore Info is in
    C:\System Volume Information
    (you'll need to change permissions on the folder via the properties >
    security tab to access)

    Jon

    MS Wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Pro, and updated almost a week ago to SP2, which
    > I'm
    > still having some problems with.
    >
    > This morning, after a reboot, I had some serious problems with Windows
    > Explorer, and I ran System Restore, to restore a previous
    > configuration. I
    > had no very recent restore point, I had to use one from a few days
    > ago.
    > (Still after SP2 installation, however.)
    >
    > Something surprised me though--some files I had downloaded yesterday
    > were
    > now missing from my hard drive. They were not in any way system files,
    > or in
    > any system location. ( Located in my C:\Downloads folder.) Others that
    > downloaded yesterday were still there.
    >
    > Some of these missing downloaded files were large files, and I have a
    > slow
    > dial-up connection. I am now re-downloading those files, but I wish I
    > didn't
    > have to.
    >
    > I am surprised that this happened. I thought that System Restore just
    > dealt
    > with registry settings, configuration files, etc. In restoring the
    > computer
    > to a previous state, does it try to make the hard drive EXACTLY the
    > same as
    > it was when the restore point was created, including which files are on
    > it,
    > and deletes any files added after the restore point was created? If so,
    > why?
    > And if so, why did it delete some of my files added since then, and did
    > not
    > delete others?
    >
    > If that's the case, any way to change the settings for System Restore
    > so
    > that it will only change files dealing with the system configuration,
    > and
    > not delete other files, etc.?
    >
    > Also, since one can undo a restoration, I assume that SR has saved the
    > files
    > it deleted somewhere. Where are they saved, and is there any way to
    > get
    > individual files back, without undo-ing the restoration? (If I knew how
    > get those files back, I wouldn't have to be re-downloading several
    > large
    > files right now.)
    >
    > Thank you to anyone who can help.

    I'm just taking a stab at this one... The large files that were deleted
    were not exactly legit? I noticed that doing a System Restore will
    sometimes delete any copywritten or pirated software. I once did a
    system restore, and once it was done, 800 of my songs were gone, and
    the other 300 or so were still there. This was in the 'My Documents'
    folder. I imagine that the 300 or so songs that remained were not
    copywritten. Also, I had a few games that were 'backups' that were
    ripped to a folder, and once the System Restore was complete, the
    folder and most of the files remained, but all of the setup files were
    gone. Both of my 'backed up' games were made by Microsoft. Doing an
    'Undo System Restore' at this point is pointless. Once System Restore
    gets rid of those files, they are history. So, my advice to anyone that
    has un-copywrited 'backups' of songs, games or applications; back it up
    to DVD or CD before you continue with your System Restore.

    --
    Azazel

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP