Terminal services Licensing issue with XP

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I have been running terminal services on a WIn 2000 server
for 5 home users for a year now and have purchased 5
terminal services CAL's.

However one of my users has now got a new PC with the
latest version of Win XP Home Edition. He was able to
access the server for 3 months and now he cannot connect.

This is due to the server issuing the worng (cal) tokens
(basically a temporary 3 month license)when the user tries
to connect. All 3 of my pre existing XP users are o.kand
are using both home edition and professional so in fact I
have licenses spare.

I now need to revoke the windows 98 terminal services
license to issue it to the new computer. I have not got a
clue how to do this and MS want £185.00 plus vat to tell
me. NO way as I have all the correct licenses and it is
not my fault that they have changed the versions of
software.

Please advise.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

First of all: XP Home edition needs a purchased TS CAL, XP Pro
receives a free TS CAL from the "Existing Windows 2000 licenses"
on the TS Licensing Server.

If your TS CALs were installed *after* SP3 (which included a
Licensing Enhancement) was applied to the Terminal Server and
the License Server, then they have an expiration date of 52-89
days. Licenses that are not used (because the client does not
connect to the TS anymore) will automatically be returned to the
LS after the expiration date. In the meantime, your new clients
will get a temporary TS CAL, which is valid for 90 days.

Note that these time periods are choosen to make sure that your
temporary license lasts long enough for the old license to become
available again. So if your TS CALs have an expiration date, and
you are reaching the end of the 90 day temporary license period
without having TS CALs available, it means that you have too few
licenses and you simply have to buy extra TS CALs.

If you installed your TS CALs *before* SP3, then they will not
have an expiration date and be permanently issued to the clients.
These licenses will be lost by a fresh re-installation of the
client OS, or if the client is discarded altogether. You will have
to phone the Clearinghouse (not the normal Microsoft Support) to
get these TS CALs re-issued. This is free of costs.

291795 - HOW TO: Locate a Phone Number for the Microsoft
Clearinghouse
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291795

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Rob" <robtonks@hotmail.com> wrote in news:12a4e01c4431e$84f14220
$a601280a@phx.gbl: