• MSI K8N Neo4-F

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • MSI K8N SLI-F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
So this is pretty much everything I can buy here in Peru for the new processor I'm buying. Any thoughs? Please don't recommend me any other Mobo other than the ones you see listed cause they just DON'T exist here..

Asus A8V-E SE
$87

ECS NForce4-A939
$87

ECS KN1 Extreme
$118

MSI K8N Neo4-F
$93

MSI K8N SLI-F
$122

I will be doing some OC at some point, and I have no intentions of buying ANOTHER video card anytime soon lol. Altho since I'm probably going to stay with this computer for a while, it could be a wise choice to add another 6800GT later.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I recommended the MSI K8N Neo4-F for the reason sli is not really an upgrade path. More for people who want the absolute fastest. Example the 6800gt is getting hard to find now so chances by the end of the year you wont be able to get one. Stick with single card solution much more economical and with each new graphics generation they seem to out perform the previous gen sli.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Alright, but that leaves me with 4 choices now, I've used MSI mobo's before, they're good, but what about ECS (I've never heard about them before).

Between that MSI K8N Neo4-F and the Asus A8V-E SE, which one should I get?

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
The MSI uses the Nforce 4 chipset which most will recommend.
The Asus uses the VIA chipset whichis ok but I prefer the nforce.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
ECS is not bad, but I doubt if many consider them a "favorite" brand. I have no experience with them, but when there are monster deals on like a board/video card combo they are mentioned here at TGF as an option.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I would not get the MSI motherboard because locating the _correct_ updated drivers and BIOSes for some of their _older_ motherboards has been quite a challenge in the recent past. This is particularly true for their models that have undergone several revisions.

I like to buy refurbished motherboards to use older CPUs, memory, cards, etc that I end up having laying around. I've had to pass on a number of MSI refurbs because it was not possible to be certain that I had located the proper drivers and BIOS for it (this on MSI's own website).

Another concern I have about some MSI motherboards, particularly the newer ones, are the warnings about the memory not being able to operate properly at standard JEDEC settings. This may be even more important for you in Peru. You probably don't have access to as many memory module choices as there are here in the U.S. In addition, the standard return policies in Peru may not allow you to try several memory modules, if you end up in the position of having to find the magic one the MSI board likes.

Finding the updates for the K8N Neo4-F you listed was easy but, it is a new model without revisions. As it gets older you may face some of the problems I've had in the past.

I would pick one of the ECS boards you listed. Getting updated drivers and anything else for their motherboard is simplicity itself. Just locate the product page and it is right there. I've located drivers and BIOSes for older ECS hardware easily in the past.

ECS is a large OEM supplier (they might actually be #1 in the world). They make sure that plain vanilla standard memory works with their boards. This could save you a few headaches from the very start.

Suerte!

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
MSI sounds like the best option, after all I think ECS is the same thing as PC Chips (sux0r). I had a MSI mobo once and it was great. But now I think I have a problem with the RAM I'm planning to buy... I'll post in the memory forum sometime soon.

Thank you all for the info!!

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
lol now everyone is saying MSI sucks and that their mobos die very often =/ Should I think about the Asus mobo? I'm not getting ECS, that's for sure.

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
don't but ecs they ae junk, fry's electronics owns ecs and air link crap also

so unless you have been in a fry's electronics you probably won't know much about them

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Both of those ECS boards are pretty good, although I'd still go with the MSI. ECS is a very large motherboard manufacturer and focuses on the value sector of the market. PCChips does belong to ECS, and I think they do make some boards for some other vendors. My experience is that ECS boards are much better than PC Chips, which do suck. I think ECS does a pretty good job in the value sector. A few years ago they had a great socket A board, the K7S5A. Sold a bunch of systems with that board and cannot recall even one failure. They are not afraid to use different chipsets in their boards that many other board makers may shun for reasons other than performance, so I give them credit for that. Just thought I'd give a little general background on ECS. By the way, Fry's does not own ECS, and I would venture to say ECS could buy Fry's many times over if they wanted to.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
MSI tend to be more of a hit and miss thing. They're great for overclocking if you get lucky.

DFI, latter ASUS and EPoX still has the best OCing consistancy.

So you're saying I should go for the Asus with a VIA chipset?

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Both of those ECS boards are pretty good, although I'd still go with the MSI. ECS is a very large motherboard manufacturer and focuses on the value sector of the market. PCChips does belong to ECS, and I think they do make some boards for some other vendors. My experience is that ECS boards are much better than PC Chips, which do suck. I think ECS does a pretty good job in the value sector. A few years ago they had a great socket A board, the K7S5A. Sold a bunch of systems with that board and cannot recall even one failure. They are not afraid to use different chipsets in their boards that many other board makers may shun for reasons other than performance, so I give them credit for that. Just thought I'd give a little general background on ECS. By the way, Fry's does not own ECS, and I would venture to say ECS could buy Fry's many times over if they wanted to.

I figured out they had something to do with PC Chips lol. Thanks for the info about ECS tho. I know they aren't 'bad' motherboard but I'd really rather go for a more known and a bit more expensive motherboard.

linux_0

Splendid
I think the MSI nForce4 is the best board on that list.

ECS is ok sometimes too but they often have quality control problems.

ASUS is usually GREAT but that board is VIA based and even though I have 2 VIA 939 boards I wouldn't recommend one when you can get an nForce4 instead :D

Semper Fi Linux on!