imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Im looking for a small lightweight laptop and have been looking at the Apple Ibook and Pbook 12in models. I was just wondering if there would be much if any differance in performance between the Apple and similar priced Centrino notebooks?? I will be using it for very basic applications such as web browsing, word processing and mp3/cd burning....etc

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I'm confused.

If you're only using it for "very basic applications such as web browsing, word processing and mp3/cd burning....etc", then who cares about the performance difference? I used to do those things on a Pentium 133. Certainly a modern laptop can do them just fine.

That aside, it's really too early to say just how well Mac software runs on Intel hardware. I don't think many companies have actually ported their software yet.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
If he's getting a Powerbook or an iBook, he'll still be on the "classic" mac hardware. It's only if he goes for the MacBook Pro that he'll move to intel.

With that said, when you're only doing the basic apps as you suggested, it's not a question of performance, it's a question of user environment. Any laptop you get will be well suitted to those tasks, so the question you should be asking yourself is which environment do you want to work under (Mac OS X or Windows XP)?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If he's getting a Powerbook or an iBook, he'll still be on the "classic" mac hardware. It's only if he goes for the MacBook Pro that he'll move to intel.
I figured that was what he meant by Centrino.

So now I've even more confused. Is this also a question of operating systems?

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
@emogoch Dam* right. Well formulated. Come in sofia, i'll buy you a beer.
@Imperfectcircle25 why would you want a 12" one? They are just not price worthy.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Like much of the notebook makers do offer many notebooks without M$ softy bundles. An example. There are so little notebooks with no OS at all or with Linux here(BG) that it's almost impossible to find. That's in software pirates heaven I mean. Why byuing a win when you already have it. Several copies of it.

GreenDragon

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[quote=" I will be using it for very basic applications such as web browsing, word processing and mp3/cd burning....etc[/quote]

Get the Powerbook 15 inch & MS office for Mac. You will then have the best of both worlds.

Bob F

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I was just curious really about the performance. I always wondered how the Apple chips compared to Intel and AMD, they always seemed to run slower clock speeds but had very good performace. I guess thats kind of like AMD is today, slower clock speeds than Intel but they have a higher performance to clock speed ratio.

Unlike most people on this forum I am not biased towards one brand I have used and had good experiences with Apple, AMD and Intel at one time or another. So I will basically stick to the one that currently offers the best performance at that point in time.

As for wanting a 12in model its basically because i want something very light and portable even if i have to pay a little extra and sacrifice some performance. I will most likely wait until the Intel Duo notebooks start becoming available and a bit less expensive or until AMD makes a dual core mobile chip. I think right now Intel rules the mobile market and the G4 in the I/P books is outdated. Even though the Apples definitly are the best looking...lol
Thaks guys/gals for the help