Partitioning RAID Arrarys

Loopy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2005
My first question is, is it possible to partition a RAID 0 or 1 arrary?
I was thinking about partitioning each drive into 4 different parts is this possible?

I planned on buying 2 more Seagate SATA drives should I even bother putting them in a RAID array? How much of a performance boost will I get from RAID 0(striping)?

I am not even sure about using the 2 drives for a mirror considering It might be easier to just backup important data.

P.S right now I just have 1 Sata drive just waiting to be set up so I can use my comp again.

pcoffman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I have partitioned RAID 0 into 2 before, and it worked fine. Partitioning RAID 1 should work, too. 4 partitions shouldn't be a problem. Try it. Just in case it doesn't work, the worst that can happen is that you have to re-partition it as 2 or 1 partitions.

RAID 0 is not supposed to give alot of performance boost for most applications. For some applications, the performance boost may be significant, like maybe digital video editing.

I can't find the original article, but I think Loyd Case from ExtremeTech once cited an article from Tom's Hardware that argued against significant improvement with R0.

I used to not care, tho', because I liked to eek out every little bit of performance with R0. If your data is important, tho', you may be better off with R1. Next computer I build will be R1, because I now have my own side-business so my data is more important.

TRENDING THREADS