How can I record audio played on my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I've tried for years to figure this out, and I read tutorials and all that yet it all NEVER works for me. I want to be able to record the sound playing out of my computer and then save it as some kind of audio file and do what I wish with it. Audacity sounded like what I am supposed to use but I can't figure out how to make it work if it would even work for me. I am using digital coaxial out for my speakers but I thought this shouldn't affect the recording. I have my speakers hooked up with direct analog 6 channel connections as well. So I have a digital S/PDIF interface I could record from but it does nothing really - it only works when I play DTS or Dolby Digital movies.

Can someone please help me for once? I'm tired of being unable to record audio off my PC. My only options have been to just stick a stupid mic in front of one of the speakers - which is sucky and low quality. I don't know what makes my computer so special but apparently it is since nothing ever works for me in this regard. Help greatly appreciated!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What device are you recording with, when you're using the microphone in front of the speakers?

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I just used Windows Sound Recorder. It works for capturing the sound, but it's just crappy because it's not stereo and it captures ambient noise too. I see so many other people using the sound straight out of their PC and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that keeps it from working. At this point I'm even wondering about using the headphone jack on my speakers to go to my line in on the sound card then record it that way. For whatever reason, the other ways provide me with no sound but maybe that way would at least give me sound (Though I couldn't hear it if it's going into the headphone jack).

Well, if you want t record off of youtube try this free app.

http://atube-catcher.en.softonic.com/

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
No, I'm not trying to record YouTube videos - I want to record the sounds from a game I'm playing but just the audio not the screen. I'm not a professional - and I see lots of people doing this I just want to know what I need to do to do it as well. I just have no stereo mix like other people always seem to use - and they say it's disabled and hidden. I've shown all and shown disabled and there's no Stereo Mix anywhere in there. And some people say it's something to do with Realtek - but I'm using an M-Audio sound card and not an on-board Realtek. I just don't know why this is so complicated when I see so many countless people effortlessly doing this and yet nothing I do will make it work on my computer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A loopback cable doesn't work? How about if you loop it to the other sound processor?

4745454b

Titan
Record the video anyways? Try using the free version of FRAPS. If you can get the audio and video with that, go ahead and buy it. Once you have the video file, you should be able to run it through a program and strip the audio out of it. I know I've used VLC or GOM to do this before, but I think the newest versions have it removed. It's been awhile since I've used it, but have you tried audiograbber?

I get the feeling your issue is tied to your speaker setup. A digital coaxial connection along with a "direct analog 6 channel connection"? Sounds to me like you have two possible sets of speakers? Perhaps you are missing a check box in Audacity.

RavinRivie

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
No idea what a loopback cable is or how to use it - have not tried any such thing. I think I've tried FRAPS before and it never recorded the audio either - just the video. Although I had issues with FRAPS period it doesn't like to record video sometimes too in the trial I used. My speakers have multiple inputs (Optical/Coax/Direct) - I hooked up the direct thinking maybe the digital coax was the reason I never had any audio - but alas that didn't solve anything.

oldec

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

Try polderbits, it's not free but you can trial it and buy it ( not expensive) if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.