Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How can I record audio played on my PC?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 20, 2011 6:44:49 AM

I've tried for years to figure this out, and I read tutorials and all that yet it all NEVER works for me. I want to be able to record the sound playing out of my computer and then save it as some kind of audio file and do what I wish with it. Audacity sounded like what I am supposed to use but I can't figure out how to make it work if it would even work for me. I am using digital coaxial out for my speakers but I thought this shouldn't affect the recording. I have my speakers hooked up with direct analog 6 channel connections as well. So I have a digital S/PDIF interface I could record from but it does nothing really - it only works when I play DTS or Dolby Digital movies.

Can someone please help me for once? I'm tired of being unable to record audio off my PC. My only options have been to just stick a stupid mic in front of one of the speakers - which is sucky and low quality. I don't know what makes my computer so special but apparently it is since nothing ever works for me in this regard. Help greatly appreciated!!

More about : record audio played

March 20, 2011 3:03:51 PM

RavinRivie said:
I've tried for years to figure this out, and I read tutorials and all that yet it all NEVER works for me. I want to be able to record the sound playing out of my computer and then save it as some kind of audio file and do what I wish with it. Audacity sounded like what I am supposed to use but I can't figure out how to make it work if it would even work for me. I am using digital coaxial out for my speakers but I thought this shouldn't affect the recording. I have my speakers hooked up with direct analog 6 channel connections as well. So I have a digital S/PDIF interface I could record from but it does nothing really - it only works when I play DTS or Dolby Digital movies.

Can someone please help me for once? I'm tired of being unable to record audio off my PC. My only options have been to just stick a stupid mic in front of one of the speakers - which is sucky and low quality. I don't know what makes my computer so special but apparently it is since nothing ever works for me in this regard. Help greatly appreciated!!
What device are you recording with, when you're using the microphone in front of the speakers?
Score
March 20, 2011 8:27:51 PM

Crashman said:
What device are you recording with, when you're using the microphone in front of the speakers?

I just used Windows Sound Recorder. It works for capturing the sound, but it's just crappy because it's not stereo and it captures ambient noise too. I see so many other people using the sound straight out of their PC and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that keeps it from working. At this point I'm even wondering about using the headphone jack on my speakers to go to my line in on the sound card then record it that way. For whatever reason, the other ways provide me with no sound but maybe that way would at least give me sound (Though I couldn't hear it if it's going into the headphone jack).
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2011 4:38:44 AM

RavinRivie said:

Well, if you want t record off of youtube try this free app.

http://atube-catcher.en.softonic.com/

Score
March 21, 2011 5:09:35 AM

No, I'm not trying to record YouTube videos - I want to record the sounds from a game I'm playing but just the audio not the screen. I'm not a professional - and I see lots of people doing this I just want to know what I need to do to do it as well. I just have no stereo mix like other people always seem to use - and they say it's disabled and hidden. I've shown all and shown disabled and there's no Stereo Mix anywhere in there. And some people say it's something to do with Realtek - but I'm using an M-Audio sound card and not an on-board Realtek. I just don't know why this is so complicated when I see so many countless people effortlessly doing this and yet nothing I do will make it work on my computer.
Score
March 21, 2011 1:17:11 PM

RavinRivie said:
No, I'm not trying to record YouTube videos - I want to record the sounds from a game I'm playing but just the audio not the screen. I'm not a professional - and I see lots of people doing this I just want to know what I need to do to do it as well. I just have no stereo mix like other people always seem to use - and they say it's disabled and hidden. I've shown all and shown disabled and there's no Stereo Mix anywhere in there. And some people say it's something to do with Realtek - but I'm using an M-Audio sound card and not an on-board Realtek. I just don't know why this is so complicated when I see so many countless people effortlessly doing this and yet nothing I do will make it work on my computer.
A loopback cable doesn't work? How about if you loop it to the other sound processor?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2011 1:17:37 PM

Record the video anyways? Try using the free version of FRAPS. If you can get the audio and video with that, go ahead and buy it. Once you have the video file, you should be able to run it through a program and strip the audio out of it. I know I've used VLC or GOM to do this before, but I think the newest versions have it removed. It's been awhile since I've used it, but have you tried audiograbber?

I get the feeling your issue is tied to your speaker setup. A digital coaxial connection along with a "direct analog 6 channel connection"? Sounds to me like you have two possible sets of speakers? Perhaps you are missing a check box in Audacity.
Score
March 21, 2011 6:26:38 PM

No idea what a loopback cable is or how to use it - have not tried any such thing. I think I've tried FRAPS before and it never recorded the audio either - just the video. Although I had issues with FRAPS period it doesn't like to record video sometimes too in the trial I used. My speakers have multiple inputs (Optical/Coax/Direct) - I hooked up the direct thinking maybe the digital coax was the reason I never had any audio - but alas that didn't solve anything.
Score
July 8, 2011 11:25:26 AM

RavinRivie said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOPE THIS MAY BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU.

(I want to be able to record the sound playing out of my computer and then save it as some kind of audio file and do what I wish with it.)

(My only options have been to just stick a stupid mic in front of one of the speakers - which is sucky and low quality.)

BEEN THERE , DONE THAT!

MAYBE YOU COULD TRY THIS OPTION.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE, I DISCOVERED THIS WAY, BY ACCIDENT.

A WAY FOR FINDING GAME AUDIO FILES ON YOUR HARD DRIVE.

WITH THE WMP 9 OR10, DROP DOWN THE MENU AND FIND WHERE IT SAYS,"ADD FILES TO LIBRARY".

IT WILL SEARCH FOR ALL AUDIO FILES IN THE DRIVES YOU SELECT.

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO CHOOSE WHAT TYPE OF AUDIO FILES YOU WANT

IT TO FIND.

I THINK THERE'S A CHECK BOX OF SOME KIND TO CHOOSE FROM A LIST.

IT TAKES SOME TIME TO SEARCH SO BE PREPARED
FOR A LONG WAIT. (DEPENDING ON HOW MANY FILES ARE ON YOUR DRIVE.)

I'VE DISCOVERED THAT DOING THIS, IT EVEN GRABS THE MUSIC FROM GAMES THAT I'VE INSTALLED.

YOU HAVE TO JUST ( MANUALLY UGH! ) SEARCH , FIND AND IDENTIFY THE RIGHT AUDIO FILE EXTENSIONS THAT ARE THE GAMES AUDIO FILES.

ONE FILE AT A TIME.

THIS MIGHT TAKE YOU A WHILE TOO. IT'S HIT AND MISS.

AND WHEN YOU LOCATE THEM, RENAME THEM.

THERE MIGHT BE A QUICKER WAY TO DO IT , BUT I DON'T KNOW.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I want to be able to record the sound playing out of my computer and then save it as some kind of audio file and do what I wish with it.)

(FOR ON-LINE STUFF)

GO TO ORBIT.COM , AND DOWNLOAD (FREE) THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE ORBIT DOWN LOADER.

http://www.orbitdownloader.com

A FEATURE CALLED "GRAB PRO" ALSO COMES WITH IT. IT WILL BE INSTALLED IN YOUR IE AND FIREFOX BROWSERS TOGETHER WITH THE ORBIT DOWN LOADER ITSELF.

AFTER YOU'VE INSTALLED IT, LOOK FOR THE ICON ON FIRE FOX AND THE YELLOW SPACE/WINDOW IN YOUR IE.
WHEN GRAB PRO FINDS A FILE ON FIRE FOX, THE ICON TURNS BLUE AND IS READY FOR A DOWNLOAD ,,CLICK THE ICON.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN IE , IT WILL FLASH . WHEN IT'S FINISHED WITH THE DOWNLOAD, IT'LL FLASH ALSO.

CLICK THE ICON AND THE LIST OF FILES IT GRABS WILL BE DISPLAYED, AND YOU CAN CHOOSE TO RECORD OR JUST CLOSE THE LINK.

IF YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING, IT WILL BREAK THE LINK AFTER A FEW MINUTES.

IF YOU MISS A TUNE AND THE DOWNLOAD LINK BREAKS,

REFRESH THE PAGE WHILE THE TUNE IS STILL PLAYING AND IT WILL RESET THE SAME LINK AGAIN.

TO CHOOSE A FILE FOR YOUR DOWNLOADS, DROP DOWN THE MENU IN THE

GRAB PRO ICON AND YOU CAN CREATE A FILE SO YOU'LL KNOW WHERE THE DOWNLOADS ARE.

BUT FIRST CREATE A FILE FOR THE DOWNLOADS THEN,

DROP DOWN THE GRAB PRO MENU AND CHOOSE YOUR FILE WHERE YOU WANT TO SAVE IT.

I'VE BEEN USING ORBIT FOR OVER FIVE YRS AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT.

I DON'T USE ANY OTHER DOWN LOADERS.

ORBIT ALSO SENDS YOU UPDATES EVERY NOW AND THEN.

I THINK ,, IF YOU ARE USING A YAHOO BROWSER OR A SEARCH BAR? ,

CLICK THE TAB THAT SAYS "TO ADD/REMOVE" OR ADJUST THE ICONS.

IF YOU DONT SEE ICON IN THE TOOL BAR WHEN YOU FIRST INSTALL THE GRAB PRO,

IT SHOULD BE IN THE ADD/REMOVE LIST FOR THE BROWSER

ICONS.

I HOPE YOU HAVE GREAT SUCCESS IN YOUR QUEST.
Score
July 8, 2011 12:44:01 PM

RavinRivie said:

Try polderbits, it's not free but you can trial it and buy it ( not expensive) if it works for you.
Score
April 25, 2012 8:13:13 AM

Hey.
If you want to record audio from computer, Streaming Audio Recorder may be what you are looking for.
I once used it to record online music from YouTube. It works well for me. It has a function of format converting so that you also can port audio files to your iPod or other devices.
Score
January 2, 2013 6:15:52 PM

Sorry to Necro this Thread, but I have also wanted to do just this. It would seem that the poster never confirmed a method that worked for him or not. Well the second post from Badge links a program called Atube Catcher. This program is free and has a very neat little feature. One of the tabs is labled Audio recorder and below is a tickbox for "Capture Audio from Speakers". This option worked perfect for me. I was listening to a song that was not for download, but you could listen to it online :D  So I used this program to "grab" it. Worked perfectly and u can choose between MP3, wave, WMA formats, even the quality and stereo or mono. Very useful program.
Score
April 25, 2013 11:48:10 AM

I went ahead and bought a copy of "i-Sound for Windows". WORKS GREAT! It's so nice to have the ability to record from the speakers back again.
Score
!