activating a win2k TS questions

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

If I have one win2k terminal server and 50 windows 2000 pro clients, does
the activation of the TS server involve any costs (because win2k pro comes
with a built in TS cal for 2000 TS)?

If I want to active over the internet, is it just a case of entering the
company details etc.. and the server will get activated?

James

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

You are correct that there are no additional licensing costs.
BUT: the free TS CALs are not built into the client, but the
clients get them from the TS Licensing Server. So you *must instal
and activate a Ts Licensing Server (on your Domain Controller,
since you are running W2K). Once it is activated, it will start
issuing the fre TS CALs to your W2K Pro and XP Pro clients.

Here are the details (just skip the part about installing TS
CALs):

306622 - HOW TO: Activate a License Server by Using Terminal
Services Licensing in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306622

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"James" <lynxo78@nospamxxx.hotmail.com> wrote in

> If I have one win2k terminal server and 50 windows 2000 pro
> clients, does the activation of the TS server involve any costs
> (because win2k pro comes with a built in TS cal for 2000 TS)?
>
> If I want to active over the internet, is it just a case of
> entering the company details etc.. and the server will get
> activated?
>
> James

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Thanks for your help Vera.

James