USB Ports Assigned Drive Letters

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Okay guys, it was my first buiild, so don't laugh too hard at the newbie. My build went fairly well. However, after installing XP I discovered that each of my many USB and Firewire ports were assigned drive letters. I'm sure this is a bone head, rookie mistake.

Now, how do I fix? Thanks for the feedback

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Are you refering to a memory card reader?

Empty ports are never assigned drive letters. Only storage mediums are assigned letters after they are plugged in.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I'm curious to know where your seeing these drive letters. The disk management feature under administrative tools in the control panel is where you would change drive letters.

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'm curious to know where your seeing these drive letters. The disk management feature under administrative tools in the control panel is where you would change drive letters.

I can see them in either the My Computer window from the Start tab, or Windows Explorer>My Computer . The Disk Management tool will allow me to change the letter. But I don't want a letter assigned at all until I attach an external storage device. It's not a major deal - just slightly annoying.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Again are you using a Memory card reader?

What are the lettered drives be refered as? hard drive/ removable disk/ cd drive

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Again are you using a Memory card reader?

What are the lettered drives be refered as? hard drive/ removable disk/ cd drive

Have a card reader with FDD, but only the FDD attached right now (need a longer cable for the card readers). The lettered drives are noted as Removeable Disk (I), (J), (K), and (L).

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Do you have the floppy cable plugged in or the USB header?

It seems like you have the usb plugged in and nothing is wrong then. I also have a usb card reader and it shows the same thing. I dont know why they show with no media in but it is normal. :D I dont know of anyway to remove them with out unplugging the card reader.
Note the power supply connector does not power the mcr just the FD.

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Vascular said:
Do you have the floppy cable plugged in or the USB header?

quote]

Just the floppy cable. Waiting on a longer cable for the USB header. You know, I might try unplugging all the internal USB headers, booting up in Windows, shutting back down, and the reconnecting them. Kinda curious to see what that would do.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Something sounds weird. Have you tried plugging in a memory card? Just curious to see what happens. Most internal mcr do not have any way of changing the cable.
Do you have a printer plugged in? If so does it have a mcr built in?
Does your monitor have mcr built in?