Sign in with
Your question

A8N32-SLI Deluxe AC97 5.1 Sound Issue

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2006 7:55:16 PM

I rescently got a sexy new box with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo,and opted to try the onboard sound before tossing (even more) coin at a sound card. The box came assembled but I installed all the software myself (including the OS, Win XP Pro).

I have a Logitech Z5500 speaker setup, and have tried connecting them to the sound both as Optical and 6 Channel Direct. The front channel seems to work just fine, best suited to a 2.1 speaker or headphone setup. However, when I run speaker tests, the rear and center/sub channels don't work. I can hear all the speakers when I do the surround test (the one with the globe circling the head) but I'm not entirely sure if the surround is working properly. Keep in mind the results have been similar for both the direct and optical setups, although the optical dosn't detect as digital and defaults to the Pro Logic II decoding.

I have tried updating my drivers from several sources: Asus, nVidia (nforce), and even realtek. I have not updated the BIOS, and currently the only AC97 option in the BIOS is either disable or auto. With the nVidia software, I also had issues with the rear and center/sub.

It may be important to note that I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard and mouse setup, and this setup has also installed bluetooth audio drivers as options for when connecting wireless sound (headset).

I'm really not sure what else I can do but I'm really frustrated with not being able to get surround sound working! I have such a sexy system with high graphics capacity and the sound is blowing! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
January 19, 2006 10:17:36 PM

This sound chip seems to get such a crappy review, and even without 5.1 I've noticed crackling playing music. My speakers deserve better, so i think I'm just gonna upgrade to a lower end sound blaster audigy or audigy 2.

Anyway I still havn't had luck on the surround front. I could try removing the front panel audio and seeing if that isn't conflicting somehow, but likely it's just the chip is crap. In 5.1 mode it appears the front and rear are recieving the same channel, and the software won't let me configure each I/O separately. Thanks Asus! :p 
January 20, 2006 3:44:38 AM

I tried the drivers from all locations but windows update. I'll give that a try and see if it works . . .

Edit: no go, windows update didn't even detect it.
Related resources
January 20, 2006 7:30:04 PM

Considering you take a 15% CPU hit using on-board sound, your better off getting an inexpensive Audigy X.X or SB Live card.
January 20, 2006 7:42:31 PM

Funny you mention that 'cause I did pick up a cheap audigy card last night. After disabling my onboard sound and installing the new sound card, I still have a sound issue! During the 5.1 sound test I'm getting both the front and the rear channels out through the front speakers! To makesure my speakers wern't hooped, I tried switching the jacks in the sound card and low and behold, I got both front in rear this time out of the rear speakers. What could be causing these sound issues? I'm having trouble believing that it's drivers at this point.

I'm gettin real sick of sound issues! I think I'm gonna format my harddrive and try installing from scratch (minimal). If I still have these issues I'm gonna take it in to the retailer.
January 21, 2006 5:31:04 AM

As I recall, Creative has a speaker setup program that you need to run to setup 5.1. It allows you to select 2.1, 5.1 or headphones.
January 21, 2006 6:25:03 PM

Yep, they aaaaallll have setup software. None of it works.
January 22, 2006 4:38:00 AM

The 5.1 Sound Blaster cards include Sound Blaster Audigy, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Live! etc. The compatible speakers are 5.1 speakers from Creative Labs or others.

There are 3 analog Line Out jacks on these cards. All of these jacks are standard mini stereo jacks (3-pole). The Line Out 1 is for sending out Front Right and Front Left, Line-Out 2 is for sending Rear Right and Rear Left signals, and Line Out 3 is for sending out Front Center, Subwoofer signals.

The Line Out 3 is also doubled as a Digital Out jack for connecting to external digital device such as a Dolby Digital Receiver, or a Speaker system with a Digital Input.

From Creatives FAQ's
Any help?
January 23, 2006 3:53:42 PM

I appreciate the effort, but I'm really not that retarded ;) 

I think at this point I'm just bringin it in. I even called asus tech support and the guy basically told me if the drivers wern't workin the board was hooped.

Here's a funny update though, I formatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows, and then only installed the mobo drivers. Get this: The front channel this time isn't spittin anything out but the rear and the center/sub work fine! WTF! Before it was just the front channel? Man I'm frustro at the moment, I'll pay the damn money to have it fixed if it's only a software issue 'cause I've wasted enough time on it!
February 23, 2006 8:30:07 PM

I had a very similar experience. same motherboard, logitech speakers. I noticed that I had to connect the speakers in xp, not before starting up. Asus detects them and puts up a configuration app, where you must select 8channel (not 2,4,or6) to get all speakers to work.
February 24, 2006 1:01:28 AM

Quote:
This sound chip seems to get such a crappy review, and even without 5.1 I've noticed crackling playing music.

Have you got a headset? I noticed that the mic gives off a really bad hissing sound when you speak into it during music playing.. or maybe its my headset - it is quite old.
March 3, 2006 8:38:31 PM

Its probibly the jumpers I just fixed the problem myself! You may have taken them out and forgot to put them back in.
March 14, 2006 10:39:51 PM

I just bought a new pc myself, got a asus A8N-E motherboard and had the exact same issue you are describing. The rear and conter and side speakers all worked fine, but the front speakers didnt work at all. Turn out when i was putting the pc together i took off the jumpers to hook up the front panel sound ports, then decided i wasnt going to use them, and i forgot to put the jumpers back. I was very frustrated and tried about 3 or 4 different drivers, finally i realized the problem and put the jumpers back and bingo everything worked perfectly
January 27, 2011 1:04:52 PM

Quote:
I just bought a new pc myself, got a asus A8N-E motherboard and had the exact same issue you are describing. The rear and conter and side speakers all worked fine, but the front speakers didnt work at all. Turn out when i was putting the pc together i took off the jumpers to hook up the front panel sound ports, then decided i wasnt going to use them, and i forgot to put the jumpers back. I was very frustrated and tried about 3 or 4 different drivers, finally i realized the problem and put the jumpers back and bingo everything worked perfectly

I´ve been workin with my A8N-SLI Deluxe for longer than you have, drgroove, but only recently I decided to purchase a 5.1 set - as a consequence, only now I´ve been facing these very issues...

Where did you find these jumpers? I searched the entire manual to check if I hadn´t done anything stupid, and I haven´t found anything to help me out (though I still believe I screwed it up somehow :) :) .

If anyone else can help, please do :D 

Thank you very much!

Thiago.
January 27, 2011 6:48:33 PM

Just got an ASUS P7H55-M/USB3. Sound is terrible. Is it the ALC887 chip. Garbage.
!