I am going to transfer some of my program files to a new (notebook)
computer. I currently have a desktopand use WinME. Will there be any
problems with the transfer? (I'll make sure the programs can run on
the new operating system, WinXP Pro.)

Thank you,

Barry Karas

What type of files? If it simple Word Processing you can
just burn those to a CD with no problem. If you have a
CD Burner.

<bkaras@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I am going to transfer some of my program files to a new (notebook)
> computer. I currently have a desktopand use WinME. Will there be any
> problems with the transfer? (I'll make sure the programs can run on
> the new operating system, WinXP Pro.)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry Karas

As far as applications go, with the exception of simple "standalone"
programs that put no dll or other support files elsewhere on the drive and
write no entries to the registry, (a *very* rare animal these days)
applications cannot be "moved" in this fashion. They must be installed from
the application CD.

As for data/user files, (documents images etc...) those are no problem as
long as the new computer has an application capable of opening them.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

Unless it's an older dos based program you cannot copy a program from one
computer to another, it must be installed.