JDHolmes

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Need help please. Last week, prior to upgrade/build I installed win xp pro to avoid conflict with new system.

AMD 3500 Venice
Asus A8N sli premium
2GB Corsair
evga geforce 7800 gt
gigabyte hs + fan (G power)
Antec tpII 550 psu

kept drives

All is fine and dandy, get a passed post message, but then message of loading op sys and system dies, reboots.

Feel fairly confident it's because the boot config doesn't recognize the vid card, but uncertain. Looking for ideas.

Won't boot from reinstall xp disk. Can't seem to find the ability within xp to make a system disk from which I could modify the driver config.

First simple question is...how do I make a boot disk from xp.
Second simple question is...does anyone have any suggestions/ideas about getting this monster booted?
Third question is...if this is the wrong place to find this info, would you direct me to the right place. Looked around and didn't find what I needed.

thanks in advance

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Did you buy this Windows XP .. or did you Download it off the internet? That could affect the way your drivers are. Also make sure and double check your BIOS.

If all else fails.. maybe take out your CMOS battery for 2 hours, then replace.

JDHolmes

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
cd came with old system, not a brand new install but not a pirated cd either. Guess the short is that is was purchased.

why woudl I reset cmos? I get a good boot, just op sys won't load. Not trying to be a smart ***, just wondering your rationale.

thanks for the response

7_vii_7

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
cd came with old system, not a brand new install but not a pirated cd either. Guess the short is that is was purchased.

why woudl I reset cmos? I get a good boot, just op sys won't load. Not trying to be a smart ***, just wondering your rationale.

thanks for the response

oh it will boot but your OS wont load? sorry i read that wrong. You need to make sure that the XP CD is not spacifically for that old system. I know when I tried to load XP from my Toshiba system Restore CD to my HP system I had the same problem. You might also need to try formating the Hard Drive in the slow mode, not QUICK FORMAT,

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
To make a boot disk, simply right click on your disk driver, and select "format." Make sure the "Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk" option is checked, and then proceed with the format.

I'm not sure if this copies a cd-rom device driver, or other useful things, so you might want to visit www.bootdisk.com and find one that suits your needs.

That power supply appears to be adequate for your setup, but check to make sure you're getting the proper voltages. Use CPUZ, it should tell you.

What it actually sounds like is a lack of voltage to your CPU. When people overclock, the system will sometimes hang during the booting phase. This is usually attributed to the voltage of the CPU being too low to sustain the set frequency. If your CPU voltage reads low (1.4v is stock for that chip), then send your power supply back or up the voltage in the BIOS.

Shakespeare

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004
Feel fairly confident it's because the boot config doesn't recognize the vid card, but uncertain. Looking for ideas.
Try hitting F8 before the OS begins to load and select either VGA mode or a similar option from the startup menu. Also safe mode will give you a clue if you watch the files being loaded and note on which file the load freezes up.

Check Six,
Shakespeare

JDHolmes

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Ok, all well and good now. The issue was using a HD that had been used in a different machine. Apparently, Win xp keeps a "photo" of your system components and won't start if it sees different components. My solution was to take out HD, put it back in old system, insert xp install disk and go to the first step. This told the op sys that a modification was started and not finished.

Then used the xp set up floppies from bootdisk.com and went through the disks, it then asked if I wanted new install or repair. Chose repair and voila...loads fine.

Had used a dos boot disk, but no CD driver and while I could see my c: drive, modifying out of dos is a royal pain since you can't stop the scroll of "type" command.

Also, previously, had tried the setup disks from microsoft (bootdisk.com) but, because the system was set (that photo again) it did not work. Needed to have the original system start to modify then stop cd.

system running fine now. And what an incredible difference going from 5200 to 7800GT is with a fine mobo and 2gb of mem.

thanks all for the help