application controlled or global driver settingss?

breakpoint138

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Which is better for gaming?

Setting the everything to be application-controled or actually set up profiles under application profiles?

anyone have any suggestions?

Black_Solitare

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Is this is the nVidia nView thing in the control panel?

Application controlled just means that you controll things like AA and AF in the game options menu. Setting up the profiles in nView means that you can do basic setups outside games, can make it easier if you want to set loads of games up quickly. but its better to tweek settings in the options menu for best performance.

It seems to say that you can apply AA to Q3A but i dont know if it actually does it.

I always set them up in game.

BS

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Neither one is better. Your question is like asking which light switch is better for turning a light on when you have a couple of switches hooked up to a light.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some games are much more demanding on your system than others. For example I can run older games like Metal of Honor with all the options maxed out on my second best system. On the other hand a game like FEAR will bog down my best system.

The way I do it is to pick certain options that are important to me like v-sync and enable them all the time in the driver so that all games are v-synced reguardless of their in game settings. Other options I leave up to the game. With FEAR I've got to shut some fancy options off for the game to play smooth. With MOH I turn everything all the way up.

Basically the choice is up to you.

If you don't know what an option does, play with the settings and see if you notice a difference in the way the game looks. If you really want to know Google it.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Set It So Every Game Has These Settings:

Antailiasing... 4x
Anisotropic Filtering.... 8x
Image Setting.... Quailty
Verticle Sync.... Off
Trilinear Optimization..... On
Anisotopic Mip Filter Optimization.... On
Gama Correct Antialiasing.... On
Transperancy Antailiasing.... Multisampling
Tripple Buffering.... On

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just leave the settings alone, unless you are getting super performance, and you want to force settings to get even better visuals.
Leave the settings alone? I guess that would be OK if you got lucky and the computer picked options to your liking and that your system could manage smoothly.

I would venture a guess that if you understood what all the setting did you could do better then any automatic settings. The reason is personal choice and taste. For example Hella-D's choice of settings looks good to him but would be complete un-acceptable to me. I can't stand v-sync being off but others do not notice the huge horizontal rips in the screen. Plus you need a better card than I own (7800 GT) to display the latest games with 4x aa. My 7800 GT can barely handle Call of Duty 2 with aa on and it can NOT handle FEAR with aa turned on.

IMO the best settings depend on your card, the game, and your taste. Chances are that your taste will not be in line with the defaults every time.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Agreed, But Did You Say That 4xAA Makes F.E.A.R And Battlefield 1942 Unplayable?.... How Come Mine Does So Well? I Have A 7800GT As Does You :?:

Black_Solitare

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I generally let the computer work out what it thinks is best for my system and then tweek accordingly! as long as the game runs smooth you want it running as pretty as possible! If you want it looking swish and its not to good, turn it up for a bit, marvel at it. then turn it down and enjoy some good, smooth gaming action!

I have a 6800GT and i can run AA in F.E.A.R and in BF2, so ur 7800GT shouldnt have much troubles!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm hardly defensive. I guess it is different strokes for different folks. I'm the type of person that goes to a car lot and asks for a car in color I prefer and with the options I prefer. I guess there are people would leave the color and options to the salesman, I'm not one of those people.

As far as FEAR goes, I'm not sure how you are getting it to run smooth with aa enabled unless you are turning down other stettings. FEAR is well known as a graphics card killer.

"My 7800 GT can barely handle Call of Duty 2 with aa on and it can NOT handle FEAR with aa turned on. "

With FEAR, using a 7800GT with AA/AF off, you should get ~79 fps avg using built in performance test....with 4xaa/16xAF, avg fps will be around 49-50.

(At least those were my results, which were in-line with several others' results using similarly clocked processors and 7800GTs....)

ShortyNumber45

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
It's just a matter of personal preferences... if you set it to application-controlled then the game will just automatically follows what you had set on it. when you set it to global driver settings all the games that you will run will have identical settings.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"My 7800 GT ...can NOT handle FEAR with aa turned on. "

At what res?

ABove 1024x768 with 4xaa/16xaf, admittedly a standard 7800GT begins losing steam fast....
Now that is the question that needs to be answered. I've been trying to get FEAR to run at the LCD native of 1280x1024 but that was not an option and I don't remember how to change the res sans GUI. I had been running at the highest resolution that showed up in game which was over 1024x768. I'm sure it would run fine at 800x600 maxed out with aa and af and shadows and volumetric lights and bla bla bla...

I prefer to go native whenever possible.