Need help asap please...

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i am trying to connect 2 computers one is xp home, the other 2k pro using d-link dwl 520 nics(the 2k pro is new, replacing a 98 client that successfully used this nic prior). both are "adhoc" wireless nics, meaning they are like walkie talkies that communicate with each other. the guy that was there before me didnt leave the install disk so i got the drivers from the d-link site, but no software. the config property tabs are very different so i cant really copy the settings. they are both working and have "excellent" connection rates, but neither can see eachother. they are both in the same workgroup. any ideas?

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
it was my understanding that they didnt need them b/c they are adhoc, meaning they detect each other through radio waves and no access point.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
but they still need IP to hook up on the upper levels of the OSI stack. Wireless connection is just level 2 (Datalink)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm.... unfortunately they dont have any documentation at this place. i was reading that it cold be a problem with the ssid modes being different... i dont know. any suggestions? i know for a fact they arent gonna have any ip info for me.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, i got it done... theres a tab called ssid, that is basically the workgroup name. on one it said weymouth, on the other it said default. i just had to rename it. what a pain. the tech support couldnt even help...
thanks for your suggestions. i actually went back after and added ip addresses anyway.

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 05/07/03 10:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>