Terminal session to console of server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Is it possible to configure Windows 2003 Terminal Services only to accept a
single connection to the console? Similiar to how it works on Windows XP.

kp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

If you don't run full-blown TS, only Remote Desktop, then you can put
a maximum number of connections limit on the rdp-tcp connection
itself. I'm not sure if you can accomplish this with full-blown TS,
since you need to allow unlimited user connections.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:

> Is it possible to configure Windows 2003 Terminal Services only
> to accept a single connection to the console? Similiar to how it
> works on Windows XP.
>
> kp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

How do I get to this non-full blown TS?.

kp

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> If you don't run full-blown TS, only Remote Desktop, then you can put
> a maximum number of connections limit on the rdp-tcp connection
> itself. I'm not sure if you can accomplish this with full-blown TS,
> since you need to allow unlimited user connections.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:
>
>> Is it possible to configure Windows 2003 Terminal Services only
>> to accept a single connection to the console? Similiar to how it
>> works on Windows XP.
>>
>> kp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Uninstall Terminal Services, then go to My Computer - Properties -
Remote, just like on XP.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:

> How do I get to this non-full blown TS?.
>
> kp
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> If you don't run full-blown TS, only Remote Desktop, then you
>> can put a maximum number of connections limit on the rdp-tcp
>> connection itself. I'm not sure if you can accomplish this with
>> full-blown TS, since you need to allow unlimited user
>> connections.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:
>>
>>> Is it possible to configure Windows 2003 Terminal Services
>>> only to accept a single connection to the console? Similiar to
>>> how it works on Windows XP.
>>>
>>> kp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Ok, when I go to Add/Remove Windows components, Terminal Server is
UN-checked. How do I uninstall Terminal Services when it seems it is not
installed? Am I doing something wrong?

> Uninstall Terminal Services, then go to My Computer - Properties -
> Remote, just like on XP.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:
>
>> How do I get to this non-full blown TS?.
>>
>> kp
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> If you don't run full-blown TS, only Remote Desktop, then you
>>> can put a maximum number of connections limit on the rdp-tcp
>>> connection itself. I'm not sure if you can accomplish this with
>>> full-blown TS, since you need to allow unlimited user
>>> connections.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Well, maybe you never installed TS? Only you can know.
You should be able to see which state TS is in in the TS
Connection Configuration mmc snap-in.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 28 okt 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Ok, when I go to Add/Remove Windows components, Terminal Server
> is UN-checked. How do I uninstall Terminal Services when it
> seems it is not installed? Am I doing something wrong?
>
> kp
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Uninstall Terminal Services, then go to My Computer -
>> Properties - Remote, just like on XP.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 27 okt 2004:
>>
>>> How do I get to this non-full blown TS?.
>>>
>>> kp
>>>
>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

thanks and I appreciate yo helping me out. Under server settings licensing
reads "Remote Desktop for Administration"
Under Connections, Network Adapter it reads "This server is configured in
the default Remote Desktop mode for remote administration, which allows a
maximum of two simultaneous remote connections.

Thanks again.

> Well, maybe you never installed TS? Only you can know.
> You should be able to see which state TS is in in the TS
> Connection Configuration mmc snap-in.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 28 okt 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
>> Ok, when I go to Add/Remove Windows components, Terminal Server
>> is UN-checked. How do I uninstall Terminal Services when it
>> seems it is not installed? Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> kp
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> Uninstall Terminal Services, then go to My Computer -
>>> Properties - Remote, just like on XP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

OK, then you should be able to diminish the number of allowed
connections to 1.

Be aware that you increase the risk of locking yourself out. If your
single connection breaks (network error, short power interrupt), then
you won't be able to get back in.

Make sure that you configure disconnected sessions to automatically
reset after the time-out limit, and make that a short time-out limit!

--

"kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 29 okt 2004:

> thanks and I appreciate yo helping me out. Under server
> settings licensing reads "Remote Desktop for Administration"
> Under Connections, Network Adapter it reads "This server is
> configured in the default Remote Desktop mode for remote
> administration, which allows a maximum of two simultaneous
> remote connections.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Well, maybe you never installed TS? Only you can know.
>> You should be able to see which state TS is in in the TS
>> Connection Configuration mmc snap-in.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 28 okt 2004 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>>> Ok, when I go to Add/Remove Windows components, Terminal
>>> Server is UN-checked. How do I uninstall Terminal Services
>>> when it seems it is not installed? Am I doing something
>>> wrong?
>>>
>>> kp
>>>
>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I tried limiting the connections 1, but I still cannot connect directly to
the console like in Windows XP. For example, I log into the server at the
console and open windows explorer. Then I go over to my XP machine a use
remote desktop to the server. When I connect I should see the windows
explorer, but I do not. Instead it is another session to the server. So, I
still cannot get to where I want to. Oh well, now what?

> OK, then you should be able to diminish the number of allowed
> connections to 1.
>
> Be aware that you increase the risk of locking yourself out. If your
> single connection breaks (network error, short power interrupt), then
> you won't be able to get back in.
>
> Make sure that you configure disconnected sessions to automatically
> reset after the time-out limit, and make that a short time-out limit!
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 29 okt 2004:
>
>> thanks and I appreciate yo helping me out. Under server
>> settings licensing reads "Remote Desktop for Administration"
>> Under Connections, Network Adapter it reads "This server is
>> configured in the default Remote Desktop mode for remote
>> administration, which allows a maximum of two simultaneous
>> remote connections.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> Well, maybe you never installed TS? Only you can know.
>>> You should be able to see which state TS is in in the TS
>>> Connection Configuration mmc snap-in.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>>
>>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 28 okt 2004 in
>>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

OK, is THAT what you want!

Type "mstsc /console" (without the quotes) in a command window to
connect to the console session.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 30 okt 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> I tried limiting the connections 1, but I still cannot connect
> directly to the console like in Windows XP. For example, I log
> into the server at the console and open windows explorer. Then I
> go over to my XP machine a use remote desktop to the server.
> When I connect I should see the windows explorer, but I do not.
> Instead it is another session to the server. So, I still cannot
> get to where I want to. Oh well, now what?
>
> kp
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> OK, then you should be able to diminish the number of allowed
>> connections to 1.
>>
>> Be aware that you increase the risk of locking yourself out. If
>> your single connection breaks (network error, short power
>> interrupt), then you won't be able to get back in.
>>
>> Make sure that you configure disconnected sessions to
>> automatically reset after the time-out limit, and make that a
>> short time-out limit!
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 29 okt 2004:
>>
>>> thanks and I appreciate yo helping me out. Under server
>>> settings licensing reads "Remote Desktop for Administration"
>>> Under Connections, Network Adapter it reads "This server is
>>> configured in the default Remote Desktop mode for remote
>>> administration, which allows a maximum of two simultaneous
>>> remote connections.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>

>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Yes, I know about that switch. What I want is the server to accept only 1
connection and have it go directly to the console of the server, just like
XP without having to use that switch.

> OK, is THAT what you want!
>
> Type "mstsc /console" (without the quotes) in a command window to
> connect to the console session.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 30 okt 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
>> I tried limiting the connections 1, but I still cannot connect
>> directly to the console like in Windows XP. For example, I log
>> into the server at the console and open windows explorer. Then I
>> go over to my XP machine a use remote desktop to the server.
>> When I connect I should see the windows explorer, but I do not.
>> Instead it is another session to the server. So, I still cannot
>> get to where I want to. Oh well, now what?
>>
>> kp
>>

>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> OK, then you should be able to diminish the number of allowed
>>> connections to 1.
>>>
>>> Be aware that you increase the risk of locking yourself out. If
>>> your single connection breaks (network error, short power
>>> interrupt), then you won't be able to get back in.
>>>
>>> Make sure that you configure disconnected sessions to
>>> automatically reset after the time-out limit, and make that a
>>> short time-out limit!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

That's not possible, as far as I know. The default is to create a
session > 0, and you have to use the /console switch explicitly to
connect to session 0.

You can save the setting in a custom rdp file on the client, but
it wouldn't stop people from using the standard rdp client to
connect without the /console switch (which I guess you are trying
to achieve).

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 31 okt 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Yes, I know about that switch. What I want is the server to
> accept only 1 connection and have it go directly to the console
> of the server, just like XP without having to use that switch.
>
> kp
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> OK, is THAT what you want!
>>
>> Type "mstsc /console" (without the quotes) in a command window
>> to connect to the console session.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 30 okt 2004 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>>> I tried limiting the connections 1, but I still cannot connect
>>> directly to the console like in Windows XP. For example, I log
>>> into the server at the console and open windows explorer. Then
>>> I go over to my XP machine a use remote desktop to the server.
>>> When I connect I should see the windows explorer, but I do
>>> not. Instead it is another session to the server. So, I still
>>> cannot get to where I want to. Oh well, now what?
>>>
>>> kp
>>>

>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> wrote in message

207.46.248.16..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

thanks for you help. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

> That's not possible, as far as I know. The default is to create a
> session > 0, and you have to use the /console switch explicitly to
> connect to session 0.
>
> You can save the setting in a custom rdp file on the client, but
> it wouldn't stop people from using the standard rdp client to
> connect without the /console switch (which I guess you are trying
> to achieve).
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 31 okt 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
>> Yes, I know about that switch. What I want is the server to
>> accept only 1 connection and have it go directly to the console
>> of the server, just like XP without having to use that switch.
>>
>> kp
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> OK, is THAT what you want!
>>>
>>> Type "mstsc /console" (without the quotes) in a command window
>>> to connect to the console session.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>>
>>> "kp" <kfalls@austin.rr.com> wrote on 30 okt 2004 in
>>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> 207.46.248.16..

TRENDING THREADS