  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 29, 2004 7:10:49 PM

Hi, I just want to share my experience with the problem I had because
there might be other people who might have similar problems in the
future.

After struggling with Linksys 8 port cable/DSL router over a month, we
switched to Netgear FVS318 and it works fine now! I only opened port
500 and 1423 to use VPN client program.

There was another minor issue we had. Whenever we used VPN, the PC
that was using VPN, lost connection to other websites. It turned out
that our network adapter was not sophisticated enough to redirect the
connection.

Once again, I appreciate everyone who responded to my posts.

More about : router vpn problem resolved

April 30, 2004 4:47:01 PM

On 29 Apr 2004 15:10:49 -0700, graphicdesign00@hotmail.com
(graphicdesign00) wrote:

>There was another minor issue we had. Whenever we used VPN, the PC
>that was using VPN, lost connection to other websites. It turned out
>that our network adapter was not sophisticated enough to redirect the
>connection.

There is a checkbox for setting the gateway. It's under Networking
TCP/IP somewhere.

The Wizard was written for dial-out PPP where the user would want the
gateway to be on the remote ISP host. The default is set up for that.
But with the VPN, you want to keep the gateway on the local network.
Obviously the developers should have set that default depending on
whether the Wizard was making a PPP or a VPN connection.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 5:12:58 PM

graphicdesign00 wrote:

> There was another minor issue we had. Whenever we used VPN, the PC
> that was using VPN, lost connection to other websites. It turned out
> that our network adapter was not sophisticated enough to redirect the
> connection.

But that's the way a vpn client is supposed to work:

Once you open a tunnel (through the Internet) to a corporate network (or
whatever), the VPN client must block all traffic bypassing the tunnel
(otherwise you'd have a direct connection from the internet through your
tunnel to your corporate network bypassing the corporate firewall
altogether).

As the operator of a corporate network I want to make absolutely sure
that only the connected machine can access the tunnel no matter whether
the remote client is itself part of a remote LAN that I know nothing of.

It also implies, of course, that once the tunnel is open the pc cannot
access local shares and network printers...

--
Martin Bodenstedt

Landtag von Baden-W├╝rttemberg (www.landtag-bw.de)
!