AMD's Vision of the Future is All About ''Surround Computing''

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
For those who want to accuse AMD of being on LSD, it's at least better to have a seemly-impossible future vision, than to expect the future to be the present.

Back in the 1970's, one of Xerox's research teams built a modern-day desktop computer. It had colored GUI, network connection, and other stuff that other computers in the early-mid 1980's didn't have.

The management told the research team that developing computers has no future, and Xerox should only focus on printers.

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
If I'm not wrong, Intel kinda stole the idea of FUTURE IS FUSION.
AMD has good ideas but they need more potential power. They need perhaps their own Fabs to do great works independently. They need like thousands of engineers not only in case of hardware but way into the software engineers too.
Most of all, they got idea...good but please hurry AMD!

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Historical appreciation for AMD aside, QUEUE THE RHETORIC!!!

Personally, I'd like to see mass-adoption of the architectural improvements that the modular "fusion" architecture is capable of. Get rid of the crappy, old, archaic, and stale compiling that's been used for the last 2+ decades and make way for something revolutionary. AMD's already working on internal R&D to make this more-widescale, but until that happens...QUEUE THE RHETORIC!!! ;)

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]ekho[/nom]If I'm not wrong, Intel kinda stole the idea of FUTURE IS FUSION.AMD has good ideas but they need more potential power. They need perhaps their own Fabs to do great works independently. They need like thousands of engineers not only in case of hardware but way into the software engineers too.Most of all, they got idea...good but please hurry AMD![/citation]

I agree, but you have to remember that AMD's market share, and total income is minuscule compared to the one of other electronics companies, like Intel or Samsung.
Their research budget is probably larger than many, in a relative scale
Yet they are able to drive this progress, from the shadowy corners of a world consumed by advertising.

That is something to applaud.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Visions should always be a little outlandish. Dreams of the future too buried in realism tend to be so dull that anyone can do them, and your company itself gets bored of the pursuit. Challenge your design teams to reach for something that is both plausible and difficult, and then empower them to pursue it. That's how the U.S reached the moon, and how many great companies changed the world.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]ekho[/nom]If I'm not wrong, Intel kinda stole the idea of FUTURE IS FUSION.AMD has good ideas but they need more potential power. They need perhaps their own Fabs to do great works independently. They need like thousands of engineers not only in case of hardware but way into the software engineers too.Most of all, they got idea...good but please hurry AMD![/citation]

Err...AMD have their own fabs...in fact, they have too much resources and nothing to produce until they're forced to separate the fab entity to become Global Foundaries.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Cant compete now? How about i3s being destroyed price/perfomance wise by 4core FX, and for the low end, entry lvl APU market?

Im sorry, mate, but Intel only leads on the highest 10% of the market. In the rest AMD is pretty much still capable of pushing some competition. I call fanboyism to you statement, even while Intel is a great choice, doesnt mean that AMD is dead now.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]Err...AMD have their own fabs...in fact, they have too much resources and nothing to produce until they're forced to separate the fab entity to become Global Foundaries.[/citation]

I thought AMD spun-off their own fabs as Global Foundries before 2010 due to excess fab resource, and then later abandoned GF due to production issues.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
..."your mobile device intuitively knows where you’re going by automatically calculating multiple data points..."

Perfect Christmas gift for every insecure, nutcase, psycho boyfriend to give to his petrified gf who is to scared to leave him for fear of being beat to death.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]For those who want to accuse AMD of being on LSD, it's at least better to have a seemly-impossible future vision, than to expect the future to be the present.Back in the 1970's, one of Xerox's research teams built a modern-day desktop computer. It had colored GUI, network connection, and other stuff that other computers in the early-mid 1980's didn't have.The management told the research team that developing computers has no future, and Xerox should only focus on printers.[/citation]
Thanks for the intelligent comment, you actually got me interested in something I had absolutely no idea about. Xerox...who would have thought?!

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
its looks like a gimmick to re attract investors and maybe make the present ones feel o k. if you read amd news they keep cutting engineers, going for lower performance. talking about alot of hardware that runs software but they dont have any real big hands in it let alone fingers in helping out or pushing for adoption of their own technologies being released. they never bother to market right get tit to developers, offer support from their end when their technology goes awry and act like a king saying its someone elses job to take care of it. its fine etc.(case of 7970m and enduro issues) they have seemingly been able to do physics based things but no games have taken advantage of it, its all been done havok and cpu sided. AMD has a great idea, its just that with the way theyre operating they wont have the money to do it. I really hope samsung buys them one day. - former amd fan. my first comp was a k6 and i built with them until 2010. I used to want to invest in AMD and hope they would pay a dividend but they never will because of so many bad descisions. they got their head in the "Clouds" Get back down to earth AMD.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"AMD shared with us that it has spent the last 10-20 years developing processors that could simulate visual reality" More like 7 years as they only aquierd ATI in 06.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
amd cost under 4 bucks a share. even nvidia is more profitable than amd and they only sell mobile processors and gpus... fan boys will downvote anyone who post facts about amd. i wish the company well but its doing horrible for a reason.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
i think that AMD is actually doing great if you take into account that it has to compete with ill practices from both Intel and Nvidia. Both companies are doing their best to obliterate AMD in both sectors employing what ever means to achieve that. The end justifies the means.

Crappy drivers for AMD GPUS? Really? what do you mean by crappy drivers? The fact that developers are more focused on The Way It's Meant To Be Played coding makes a company making crappy drivers? Last articles I saw here gave crossfire a win over SLI. Most cards are a win over Nvidia or equal to Nvidia. You remind me of this Rage game that put the blame on ATI's drivers for the crappy fps and artifacts, only to solve that problem by simply altering something in the game's own ini file?

Is a consumer supposed to be impressed by performance because one HIGH END card proves to be 5% faster than the competition and win its CROWN BACK? How many people buy such high end products? Amd is struggling to keep going without having to merge or being bought. For everyone's sake, pray they will succeed cause then you will find yourselves whining for absurd prices from the other two competitors. Look way back when that was the case.

Yes, uglynerdman, it is clearly a gimmick to boost up their stock market value for me. They seem to need some money.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]For those who want to accuse AMD of being on LSD, it's at least better to have a seemly-impossible future vision, than to expect the future to be the present.Back in the 1970's, one of Xerox's research teams built a modern-day desktop computer. It had colored GUI, network connection, and other stuff that other computers in the early-mid 1980's didn't have.The management told the research team that developing computers has no future, and Xerox should only focus on printers.[/citation]
And then the worlds no 1 thief (insert S.J) stole those designs and went to give us one of the worst company to exist...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]maddy143ded[/nom]And then the worlds no 1 thief (insert S.J) stole those designs and went to give us one of the worst company to exist...[/citation]

Xerox made a mistake of showing off their unique computer to people like Bill Gates and S.J.

If they wanted to build their own Microsoft+Dell+HP+Asus computer empire. But that wasn't the case, so they didn't care, until like the 1990's and 2000's (hint: personal computers were a huge hit).

Status
Not open for further replies.