Sign in with
Your question

Anything better than M-Audio Revolution 7.1 around $100?

Last response: in Components
January 18, 2006 5:59:49 AM

Howdy,
I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and Klipsch 5.1 Ultras. I've had the setup for about a year or so and as far as the sound quality, I do like it. But the one thing I don't like is the cpu usage when listening to music (and I'm sure while gaming as well just haven't checked it). Listening to mp3s and turning antivirus off and running nothing else, I can see cpu usage get up to around 22% sometimes, usually it's around the 15%-18% range. I don't know but to me that seems a bit high.

Before I got it I looked around at reviews of it and they all mentioned the cpu usage, but said with a better implemented driver, this could be fixed. Not sure if it actually could, but M-Audio has only released 1 driver version for it.

So, I'm looking for something with equal or better audio quality, around $100 (US) and lower cpu usage. Thanks.

More about : audio revolution 100

January 20, 2006 10:44:33 PM

It would help to know the rest of your system specs.
January 28, 2006 2:12:21 PM

normally it shouldnt be that high just playing music and notihng else (unless ur using winamp with some crazy 15 meg skin) but the creative x-fi sound cards seem nice, im planning on buying one soon, maybe this weekend... they have a gamer edition, i duno if u play games or not but its 129 at compusa, prob closer to 100 online... they have many different versions so look around and read reviews and pick which one is best for your needs
Related resources
January 28, 2006 2:28:37 PM

22% for mp3s sounds really strange. The Creative X-Fi is suposed to offload most audio tasks from the CPU, havn't tried it but google out some benchmarks! :) 
January 28, 2006 2:33:27 PM

yea creative pretty much leads the whole audio for the typical user/gamer at very decent prices, the soundcard takes all of the sound process and does it through the soundcard, so the cpu load with a soundcard should be under 3% (task manager is a task :p  and can be cpu intensive)
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2006 6:06:49 PM

Quote:
Howdy, I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and Klipsch 5.1 Ultras. I've had the setup for about a year or so and as far as the sound quality, I do like it. But the one thing I don't like is the cpu usage when listening to music (and I'm sure while gaming as well just haven't checked it). Listening to mp3s and turning antivirus off and running nothing else, I can see cpu usage get up to around 22% sometimes, usually it's around the 15%-18% range. I don't know but to me that seems a bit high. Before I got it I looked around at reviews of it and they all mentioned the cpu usage, but said with a better implemented driver, this could be fixed. Not sure if it actually could, but M-Audio has only released 1 driver version for it. So, I'm looking for something with equal or better audio quality, around $100 (US) and lower cpu usage. Thanks.

Short answer, for $100, no you will not find a better solution than the Revolution 7.1.

22% just to play music is insanely high...I run winamp 5 on a Revolution 7.1 with only 2-3% cpu utilization, never seen it run higher than that, may want to look towards other system issues that are eating up clock cycles.

And yes, system specs would be helpful...
March 23, 2006 10:00:55 PM

22% is outrageous. I have a P3 that throttles down to 400MHz at times, and even then..its like 5-6%. You might be mistaking it with the CPU peak when you first turn on Windows Task Manager.
March 28, 2006 2:59:29 PM

It should not take that much CPU power.
I have revolution 7.1 too.
When I use winamp it is 2-3% on my P4 2.8E CPU.
March 29, 2006 3:21:19 PM

Even M-Audio's Prodigy does not really match X-Fi and that's according to hydrogenaudio I trust most of all forums I read. Can get X-Fi for less the 100 bucks, e.g.X-Fi Xtreme Music for $97 from pagecomputers.com Nevertheless try disabling all apps launched in the background at startup and then test CPU usage at playback. I do not think it is the revolution card that is to be blamed for such CPU usage, it is probably something else running in parallel..
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2006 4:13:20 PM

Quote:
Howdy, I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and Klipsch 5.1 Ultras. I've had the setup for about a year or so and as far as the sound quality, I do like it. But the one thing I don't like is the cpu usage when listening to music (and I'm sure while gaming as well just haven't checked it). Listening to mp3s and turning antivirus off and running nothing else, I can see cpu usage get up to around 22% sometimes, usually it's around the 15%-18% range. I don't know but to me that seems a bit high. Before I got it I looked around at reviews of it and they all mentioned the cpu usage, but said with a better implemented driver, this could be fixed. Not sure if it actually could, but M-Audio has only released 1 driver version for it. So, I'm looking for something with equal or better audio quality, around $100 (US) and lower cpu usage. Thanks.

Short answer, for $100, no you will not find a better solution than the Revolution 7.1.

22% just to play music is insanely high...I run winamp 5 on a Revolution 7.1 with only 2-3% cpu utilization, never seen it run higher than that, may want to look towards other system issues that are eating up clock cycles.

And yes, system specs would be helpful...

Are you on drugs?

The Sound Blaster X-Fi would probably be your best bet for around $100 USD. Heck try 79.99 USD after rebates (99.99USD before) Rebate ends today though.

Here.
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2006 8:36:58 PM

Quote:
Are you on drugs?

What kind of question is that? That's the type of thing I'd expect from some sissy a$$ fanboy.

And, to answer your question, as a matter of fact, I AM! HAHAHAHA! (sings)one toke over the line sweet jesus, just one toke over the line...

Also...
Quote:
Even M-Audio's Prodigy does not really match X-Fi and that's according to hydrogenaudio...

Uhmm, M-Audio does not make the Prodigy 7.1, that's Audiotrak...

Given the article you referred was talking about the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT, I'd agree that the X-Fi is better than that...hell, the Soundblaster 16 is better than the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT!
!