Terminal Services Login Problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I connect to my Windows Server 2003 server with Remote Desktop Connection, I
type in my login credentials, the login windows closes as expected, I see my
blue desktop (as opposed to the gray login background), and then my
connection is closed without an error message on the client or server event
log.

Here are some facts:

- The problem is intermittent, occurring most times I attempt to login. If
I wait a long time before trying to login again, I have better luck.
- The server is new, replacing an old server that had the same name on the
domain.
- The problem still happened after I removed the server from the domain,
gave it a new name, and added it back to the domain.
- I have applied hotfix for KB 833890.
- The problem happens in "Remote Desktop for Administration" and "Terminal
Services" modes.
- I have tried removing the computer from the domain and still get the
problem.
- I have tried different users, local and domain, admin and others.
- My server settings in the Terminal Services Configuration are: Yes, Yes,
Remote Desktop..., Enable, Full Security, No
- For a while, it seemed like a newly created user could login remotely
once, but then failed on subsequent logins... but then I had a newly created
user fail on a first attempt. Deleting user profiles had similar results.
- I have tried connecting from XP, W2K, and W3K clients.
- Our AD domain is hosted by two w2k servers.
- If I try to connect to the problem W3K server from another W3K server
using Terminal Services Manager, I get the "gathering information" message
and then the Terminal Services Manager disappears/closes.
- The session in Terminal Services Manager shows up when I am on the login
screen and then goes away when the session disconnects.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Just a wild guess: do you use a Nvidia driver on the server?
Immediate logoffs are a known problem with some Nvidia
drivers:
Nvidia drivers 56.72 or 56.64 both cause this problem.
Nvidia 2.20 WDMs works fine.
Driver version 53.04 found here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_53.04.html
works OK.
Disabling the 'helper' NVIDIA service makes it work again.
(nvsvc32.exe listed in the Task Manager)

886212 - You are unexpectedly logged off when you try to connect
to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886212

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

=?Utf-8?B?SkpT?= <JJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 06 jan
2005:

> I connect to my Windows Server 2003 server with Remote Desktop
> Connection, I type in my login credentials, the login windows
> closes as expected, I see my blue desktop (as opposed to the
> gray login background), and then my connection is closed without
> an error message on the client or server event log.
>
> Here are some facts:
>
> - The problem is intermittent, occurring most times I attempt to
> login. If I wait a long time before trying to login again, I
> have better luck. - The server is new, replacing an old server
> that had the same name on the domain.
> - The problem still happened after I removed the server from the
> domain, gave it a new name, and added it back to the domain.
> - I have applied hotfix for KB 833890.
> - The problem happens in "Remote Desktop for Administration" and
> "Terminal Services" modes.
> - I have tried removing the computer from the domain and still
> get the problem.
> - I have tried different users, local and domain, admin and
> others. - My server settings in the Terminal Services
> Configuration are: Yes, Yes, Remote Desktop..., Enable, Full
> Security, No - For a while, it seemed like a newly created user
> could login remotely once, but then failed on subsequent
> logins... but then I had a newly created user fail on a first
> attempt. Deleting user profiles had similar results. - I have
> tried connecting from XP, W2K, and W3K clients. - Our AD domain
> is hosted by two w2k servers. - If I try to connect to the
> problem W3K server from another W3K server using Terminal
> Services Manager, I get the "gathering information" message and
> then the Terminal Services Manager disappears/closes. - The
> session in Terminal Services Manager shows up when I am on the
> login screen and then goes away when the session disconnects.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> -John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Vera,

That is a good KB that I hadn't seen yet, but unfortunately, is not the
cause of our problem. The server has ATI and I have tried connecting from
non-NVidia clients... still have the problem. Thank for the suggestion

John

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Just a wild guess: do you use a Nvidia driver on the server?
> Immediate logoffs are a known problem with some Nvidia
> drivers:
> Nvidia drivers 56.72 or 56.64 both cause this problem.
> Nvidia 2.20 WDMs works fine.
> Driver version 53.04 found here:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_53.04.html
> works OK.
> Disabling the 'helper' NVIDIA service makes it work again.
> (nvsvc32.exe listed in the Task Manager)
>
> 886212 - You are unexpectedly logged off when you try to connect
> to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886212
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> =?Utf-8?B?SkpT?= <JJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 06 jan
> 2005:
>
> > I connect to my Windows Server 2003 server with Remote Desktop
> > Connection, I type in my login credentials, the login windows
> > closes as expected, I see my blue desktop (as opposed to the
> > gray login background), and then my connection is closed without
> > an error message on the client or server event log.
> >
> > Here are some facts:
> >
> > - The problem is intermittent, occurring most times I attempt to
> > login. If I wait a long time before trying to login again, I
> > have better luck. - The server is new, replacing an old server
> > that had the same name on the domain.
> > - The problem still happened after I removed the server from the
> > domain, gave it a new name, and added it back to the domain.
> > - I have applied hotfix for KB 833890.
> > - The problem happens in "Remote Desktop for Administration" and
> > "Terminal Services" modes.
> > - I have tried removing the computer from the domain and still
> > get the problem.
> > - I have tried different users, local and domain, admin and
> > others. - My server settings in the Terminal Services
> > Configuration are: Yes, Yes, Remote Desktop..., Enable, Full
> > Security, No - For a while, it seemed like a newly created user
> > could login remotely once, but then failed on subsequent
> > logins... but then I had a newly created user fail on a first
> > attempt. Deleting user profiles had similar results. - I have
> > tried connecting from XP, W2K, and W3K clients. - Our AD domain
> > is hosted by two w2k servers. - If I try to connect to the
> > problem W3K server from another W3K server using Terminal
> > Services Manager, I get the "gathering information" message and
> > then the Terminal Services Manager disappears/closes. - The
> > session in Terminal Services Manager shows up when I am on the
> > login screen and then goes away when the session disconnects.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > -John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

This might also be helpful...

The event viewer has two "Application" errors:

1) Source: Folder Redirection, Type: Error, Event ID: 101, User [domain
name]\[my login name], Computer: [TS name] Description: Failed to perform
redirection of folder My Documents. The new directories for the redirected
folder could not be created. The folder is configured to be redirected to
<z:\>, the final expanded path was <z:\>. The following error occurred: The
system cannot find the path specified.

2) Source: Userenv, Type: Error, Event ID: 1085, User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM,
Computer: [TS name], Description: The Group Policy client-side extension
Folder Redirection failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported
earlier by that extension.

I don't get these errors if I login as admin which does not try to map a "z"
drive. One quirky thing... if I disable the "map drive" option for my
account in the AD setup, I still get the error when I login with my non-admin
account.

I also get these four "Security" entries:

1) Event Type: Success Audit, Event Source: Security, Event Category:
Privilege Use, Event ID: 576, Date: 10/2/2004, Time: 8:42:17 AM, User: [my
domain]\[my domain login name], Computer: [TS name], Description:
Special privileges assigned to new logon:
User Name: [my domain user name]
Domain: [my domain]
Logon ID: (0x0,[hex#A])
Privileges: SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
SeBackupPrivilege
SeRestorePrivilege
SeDebugPrivilege

2) Event Type: Success Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 540
Date: 10/2/2004
Time: 8:42:17 AM
User: [my domain]\[my domain user ID]
Computer: [TS name]
Successful Network Logon:
User Name: [my domain user ID]
Domain: [my domain]
Logon ID: (0x0,[hex#A])
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: Kerberos
Authentication Package: Kerberos
Workstation Name:
Logon GUID: {[long hex #X]}
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -
Caller Process ID: -
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: [client LAN IP address]
Source Port: 0

3) Event Type: Success Audit
Date: 10/2/2004
Time: 8:42:17 AM
User: [my domain]\[client computer name with $ at end]
Computer: [TS name]
Special privileges assigned to new logon:
User Name: [client computer name with $ at end]
Domain: [my domain]
Logon ID: (0x0,[hex #B])
Privileges: SeChangeNotifyPrivilege

4) Event Type: Success Audit
Date: 10/2/2004
Time: 8:42:17 AM
User: [my domain]\[client computer name with $ at end]
Computer: [TS server]
Successful Network Logon:
User Name: [client computer name with $ at end]
Domain: [my domain]
Logon ID: (0x0,[hex #B])
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: Kerberos
Authentication Package: Kerberos
Workstation Name:
Logon GUID: {[long hex #Y]}
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -
Caller Process ID: -
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: [client LAN IP address]
Source Port: 0

shady20

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Just wanted to add NVidia 6.14 driver to the list posted earlier.
Disabling nvsvc32 service and rebooting fixed my similiar issue.