terminal server lisence issue

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,

I have terminal server running on my win2k3 server. This is the PDC which
also has AD, DHCP and DNS running on it. I have had no problems using
Terminal Server with the temoporary lisences so far. However these are
expiring very soon. i've purchased a 10 user or computer lisence package
and installed the terminal server lisence server on the same server as
terminal server. I did read that this is not recommended, but it did not
state it was mandatory to install the lisence server on a different machine.
I've added the users that I want to issue the lisences to the Terminal
Server Lisence group in AD but they continue to use the temporary lisence.
Will these users simply switch over to the purchased lisences once the
temporary ones expire? Or am i missing something to assign the lisences
properly? Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I did some reading and I think I might be alright. I didn't know that Per
User CAL's were unmanaged so hopefully everything will go fine when
temporary lisence expire

"silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have terminal server running on my win2k3 server. This is the PDC which
> also has AD, DHCP and DNS running on it. I have had no problems using
> Terminal Server with the temoporary lisences so far. However these are
> expiring very soon. i've purchased a 10 user or computer lisence package
> and installed the terminal server lisence server on the same server as
> terminal server. I did read that this is not recommended, but it did not
> state it was mandatory to install the lisence server on a different
> machine. I've added the users that I want to issue the lisences to the
> Terminal Server Lisence group in AD but they continue to use the temporary
> lisence. Will these users simply switch over to the purchased lisences
> once the temporary ones expire? Or am i missing something to assign the
> lisences properly? Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

No, it probably won't!
Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The default
is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server as
the Terminal Service.
BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance risk.
Realize that you now have users running interactively on your
Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!

If some non-TS compatible application crashes the server, your
whole AD might go down.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> I did some reading and I think I might be alright. I didn't
> know that Per User CAL's were unmanaged so hopefully everything
> will go fine when temporary lisence expire
>
> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have terminal server running on my win2k3 server. This is
>> the PDC which also has AD, DHCP and DNS running on it. I
>> have had no problems using Terminal Server with the temoporary
>> lisences so far. However these are expiring very soon. i've
>> purchased a 10 user or computer lisence package and installed
>> the terminal server lisence server on the same server as
>> terminal server. I did read that this is not recommended, but
>> it did not state it was mandatory to install the lisence server
>> on a different machine. I've added the users that I want to
>> issue the lisences to the Terminal Server Lisence group in AD
>> but they continue to use the temporary lisence. Will these
>> users simply switch over to the purchased lisences once the
>> temporary ones expire? Or am i missing something to assign the
>> lisences properly? Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Both the Terminal Server and Terminal Server Lisence configurations are set
to Per User lisensing, I changed this a while back but still see 10 lisences
available and 0 issued when I open up the Terminal server lisence window.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> No, it probably won't!
> Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The default
> is "Per Device".
> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
> Configuration - Server Settings
> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
> and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>
> About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
> problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server as
> the Terminal Service.
> BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
> Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance risk.
> Realize that you now have users running interactively on your
> Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!
>
> If some non-TS compatible application crashes the server, your
> whole AD might go down.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
>> I did some reading and I think I might be alright. I didn't
>> know that Per User CAL's were unmanaged so hopefully everything
>> will go fine when temporary lisence expire
>>
>> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have terminal server running on my win2k3 server. This is
>>> the PDC which also has AD, DHCP and DNS running on it. I
>>> have had no problems using Terminal Server with the temoporary
>>> lisences so far. However these are expiring very soon. i've
>>> purchased a 10 user or computer lisence package and installed
>>> the terminal server lisence server on the same server as
>>> terminal server. I did read that this is not recommended, but
>>> it did not state it was mandatory to install the lisence server
>>> on a different machine. I've added the users that I want to
>>> issue the lisences to the Terminal Server Lisence group in AD
>>> but they continue to use the temporary lisence. Will these
>>> users simply switch over to the purchased lisences once the
>>> temporary ones expire? Or am i missing something to assign the
>>> lisences properly? Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

That's by design.
Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

--

"silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 20 jan 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Both the Terminal Server and Terminal Server Lisence
> configurations are set to Per User lisensing, I changed this a
> while back but still see 10 lisences available and 0 issued when
> I open up the Terminal server lisence window.
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> No, it probably won't!
>> Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The
>> default is "Per Device".
>> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal
>> Services Configuration - Server Settings
>> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS
>> CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>>
>> About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
>> problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server
>> as the Terminal Service.
>> BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
>> Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance
>> risk. Realize that you now have users running interactively on
>> your Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!
>>
>> If some non-TS compatible application crashes the server, your
>> whole AD might go down.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>>> I did some reading and I think I might be alright. I didn't
>>> know that Per User CAL's were unmanaged so hopefully
>>> everything will go fine when temporary lisence expire
>>>
>>> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hey Vera,

I have a question that I hope you are able to answer.

I'm an I.T. consultant. I have a small 10 person company that has a
Windows 2003 server. I'm installing a second Exchange server. My Dell
rep. said I could also run Terminal Server for remote user access on the
Exchange server, since it's only a few users who may use TS remotely.
If I lock down the server so they can't access the C: drive or any of
the ADUC stuff and implement mandatory profiles, how much of a security
concern is having TS on a domain controller?

Thanks!!!

---Virgil

In article <Xns95E3EAD6BC9BEveranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
> No, it probably won't!
> Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The default
> is "Per Device".
> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
> Configuration - Server Settings
> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
> and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>
> About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
> problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server as
> the Terminal Service.
> BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
> Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance risk.
> Realize that you now have users running interactively on your
> Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!
>
> If some non-TS compatible application crashes the server, your
> whole AD might go down.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > I did some reading and I think I might be alright. I didn't
> > know that Per User CAL's were unmanaged so hopefully everything
> > will go fine when temporary lisence expire
> >
> > "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have terminal server running on my win2k3 server. This is
> >> the PDC which also has AD, DHCP and DNS running on it. I
> >> have had no problems using Terminal Server with the temoporary
> >> lisences so far. However these are expiring very soon. i've
> >> purchased a 10 user or computer lisence package and installed
> >> the terminal server lisence server on the same server as
> >> terminal server. I did read that this is not recommended, but
> >> it did not state it was mandatory to install the lisence server
> >> on a different machine. I've added the users that I want to
> >> issue the lisences to the Terminal Server Lisence group in AD
> >> but they continue to use the temporary lisence. Will these
> >> users simply switch over to the purchased lisences once the
> >> temporary ones expire? Or am i missing something to assign the
> >> lisences properly? Thanks for your help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Why hijack someone else thread, which moreover has a subject line
that has nothing to do with your question?

Don't combine DC, Exchange or TS.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Virgil Kent <virgilkentREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote on 07 maj
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Hey Vera,
>
> I have a question that I hope you are able to answer.
>
> I'm an I.T. consultant. I have a small 10 person company that
> has a Windows 2003 server. I'm installing a second Exchange
> server. My Dell rep. said I could also run Terminal Server for
> remote user access on the Exchange server, since it's only a few
> users who may use TS remotely. If I lock down the server so
> they can't access the C: drive or any of the ADUC stuff and
> implement mandatory profiles, how much of a security concern is
> having TS on a domain controller?
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> ---Virgil
>

> In article <Xns95E3EAD6BC9BEveranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
> vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
>> No, it probably won't!
>> Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The
>> default is "Per Device".
>> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal
>> Services Configuration - Server Settings
>> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS
>> CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>>
>> About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
>> problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server
>> as the Terminal Service.
>> BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
>> Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance
>> risk. Realize that you now have users running interactively on
>> your Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!
>>
>> If some non-TS compatible application crashes the server, your
>> whole AD might go down.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>> > I did some reading and I think I might be alright. I didn't
>> > know that Per User CAL's were unmanaged so hopefully
>> > everything will go fine when temporary lisence expire
>> >
>> > "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hijack? What the hell are you talking about?

You want to know why I did it? Because I'm evil, evil, evil.

It's one of the many nasty things I do to make life miserable for
earthlings.

In article <Xns964FD4AB8C35Everanoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
> Why hijack someone else thread, which moreover has a subject line
> that has nothing to do with your question?
>
> Don't combine DC, Exchange or TS.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> Virgil Kent <virgilkentREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote on 07 maj
> 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > Hey Vera,
> >
> > I have a question that I hope you are able to answer.
> >
> > I'm an I.T. consultant. I have a small 10 person company that
> > has a Windows 2003 server. I'm installing a second Exchange
> > server. My Dell rep. said I could also run Terminal Server for
> > remote user access on the Exchange server, since it's only a few
> > users who may use TS remotely. If I lock down the server so
> > they can't access the C: drive or any of the ADUC stuff and
> > implement mandatory profiles, how much of a security concern is
> > having TS on a domain controller?
> >
> > Thanks!!!
> >
> > ---Virgil
> >

> > In article <Xns95E3EAD6BC9BEveranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
> > vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
> >> No, it probably won't!
> >> Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The
> >> default is "Per Device".
> >> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal
> >> Services Configuration - Server Settings
> >> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS
> >> CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
> >>
> >> About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
> >> problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server
> >> as the Terminal Service.
> >> BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
> >> Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance
> >> risk. Realize that you now have users running interactively on
> >> your Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

"hijacking" in this context is used when you take over an existing
thread to ask your own, unrelated question.
It's not in your own interest to do so, because the subject line
doesn't reflect your question, and it's not in the interest of the
original poster, since the thread gets cluttered with unrelated
posts.

--

Virgil Kent <virgilkentREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote on 08 maj 2005
in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Hijack? What the hell are you talking about?
>
> You want to know why I did it? Because I'm evil, evil, evil.
>
> It's one of the many nasty things I do to make life miserable for
> earthlings.
>

> In article <Xns964FD4AB8C35Everanoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
> vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
>> Why hijack someone else thread, which moreover has a subject
line
>> that has nothing to do with your question?
>>
>> Don't combine DC, Exchange or TS.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> Virgil Kent <virgilkentREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote on 07 maj
>> 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>> > Hey Vera,
>> >
>> > I have a question that I hope you are able to answer.
>> >
>> > I'm an I.T. consultant. I have a small 10 person company that
>> > has a Windows 2003 server. I'm installing a second Exchange
>> > server. My Dell rep. said I could also run Terminal Server
for
>> > remote user access on the Exchange server, since it's only a
few
>> > users who may use TS remotely. If I lock down the server so
>> > they can't access the C: drive or any of the ADUC stuff and
>> > implement mandatory profiles, how much of a security concern
is
>> > having TS on a domain controller?
>> >
>> > Thanks!!!
>> >
>> > ---Virgil
>> >

>> > In article <Xns95E3EAD6BC9BEveranoesthemutforsse@
207.46.248.16>,
>> > vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...

workstation!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Unrelated? Did you not write this...

In article <Xns9650E11B3B5F8veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
> "hijacking" in this context is used when you take over an existing
> thread to ask your own, unrelated question.
> It's not in your own interest to do so, because the subject line
> doesn't reflect your question, and it's not in the interest of the
> original poster, since the thread gets cluttered with unrelated
> posts.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> Virgil Kent <virgilkentREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote on 08 maj 2005
> in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > Hijack? What the hell are you talking about?
> >
> > You want to know why I did it? Because I'm evil, evil, evil.
> >
> > It's one of the many nasty things I do to make life miserable for
> > earthlings.
> >

> > In article <Xns964FD4AB8C35Everanoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>,
> > vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se says...
> >> Why hijack someone else thread, which moreover has a subject
> line
> >> that has nothing to do with your question?
> >>
> >> Don't combine DC, Exchange or TS.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> Virgil Kent <virgilkentREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote on 07 maj
> >> 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> for

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Any idea when MS will start decrementing TS User CAL's?

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> That's by design.
> Check this article, it explains that even after you have
> switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
> not be decremented:
>
> 822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
> 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 20 jan 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > Both the Terminal Server and Terminal Server Lisence
> > configurations are set to Per User lisensing, I changed this a
> > while back but still see 10 lisences available and 0 issued when
> > I open up the Terminal server lisence window.
> >

> > "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> > in message
> >> No, it probably won't!
> >> Is the Terminal Server set to use "Per User" licensing? The
> >> default is "Per Device".
> >> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal
> >> Services Configuration - Server Settings
> >> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS
> >> CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
> >>
> >> About the "not recommended" part of your first post: it is no
> >> problem at all to run the Licensing Service on the same server
> >> as the Terminal Service.
> >> BUT: it is *not* recommended to run Terminal Services on your
> >> Domain Controller. This is both a security and a performance
> >> risk. Realize that you now have users running interactively on
> >> your Domain Controller, using it as their personal workstation!
> >>
> >> If some non-TS compatible application crashes the server, your
> >> whole AD might go down.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> "silvan" <sjappert@ziptrack.com> wrote on 19 jan 2005 in
> >> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

No, I don't know. And if I knew, I wouldn't be allowed to disclose
it.
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5IFdoaXRl?= <Ray White@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 06 aug 2005 in