Printer Redirection does not work with certain ports

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

We have just recently bought a HP LaserJet 3030 MFP. We are trying to
get it to work with the Terminal server. When the printer is set to use
the USB connection (DOT4_001) and the client connects to the terminal
server, the printer does not appear on the Terminal Server. If however
the printer is set to use the LPT1: port, then it works fine.

I have tried setting up two printer each using the respective port and
only the LPT works. Also I have tried it with the inbuild HP 4M printer
driver, same result. Also tried using the USB001, but it will not talk
to the printer that way.

The ports involved are:
LPT1: Printer port
DOT4_001 Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support
USB001 Virtual printer port for USB

Traditional printer sharing is not an option in this case due to
Firewalls and such. Also the USB operation is much preferred as it is
much faster.

How can I get it working using the USB connection?

Robert Wagner

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

This should fix it:

302361 - Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT,
or USB Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services
Session
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Robert Wagner <good@swdeveloper.com.au> wrote on 25 jan 2005 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

> We have just recently bought a HP LaserJet 3030 MFP. We are
> trying to get it to work with the Terminal server. When the
> printer is set to use the USB connection (DOT4_001) and the
> client connects to the terminal server, the printer does not
> appear on the Terminal Server. If however the printer is set to
> use the LPT1: port, then it works fine.
>
> I have tried setting up two printer each using the respective
> port and only the LPT works. Also I have tried it with the
> inbuild HP 4M printer driver, same result. Also tried using the
> USB001, but it will not talk to the printer that way.
>
> The ports involved are:
> LPT1: Printer port
> DOT4_001 Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support
> USB001 Virtual printer port for USB
>
> Traditional printer sharing is not an option in this case due to
> Firewalls and such. Also the USB operation is much preferred as
> it is much faster.
>
> How can I get it working using the USB connection?
>

> Robert Wagner

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

i was under the impression that USB connections were not supported , but
perhpas that has changed..

btw .. not knowing your needs ( or budget ) but i recently purchased a
product from tricerat ,www.tricerat.com, ( simplified printing ) that has
made my life much easier. I have 20- 30 remote users trying to print thru
term services .. very hard to manage manually. look at this product if you
are struggling.. i am very pleased.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> This should fix it:
>
> 302361 - Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT,
> or USB Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services
> Session
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302361
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> Robert Wagner <good@swdeveloper.com.au> wrote on 25 jan 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:
>
> > We have just recently bought a HP LaserJet 3030 MFP. We are
> > trying to get it to work with the Terminal server. When the
> > printer is set to use the USB connection (DOT4_001) and the
> > client connects to the terminal server, the printer does not
> > appear on the Terminal Server. If however the printer is set to
> > use the LPT1: port, then it works fine.
> >
> > I have tried setting up two printer each using the respective
> > port and only the LPT works. Also I have tried it with the
> > inbuild HP 4M printer driver, same result. Also tried using the
> > USB001, but it will not talk to the printer that way.
> >
> > The ports involved are:
> > LPT1: Printer port
> > DOT4_001 Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support
> > USB001 Virtual printer port for USB
> >
> > Traditional printer sharing is not an option in this case due to
> > Firewalls and such. Also the USB operation is much preferred as
> > it is much faster.
> >
> > How can I get it working using the USB connection?
> >

> > Robert Wagner

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Redirection of USB ports as such is not supported, but redirection
of USB-connected printers is.
That's because the redirection is done at the level of the printer
spooler.

--

"Jason" <trudger at cox.net> wrote on 29 jan 2005 in