is this legal?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=81822546
66&rd=1
34 answers Last reply
More about legal

    ianw wrote:
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=81822546
    > 66&rd=1

    Apparently so, since it's been taken down already! What was it?

    Huw

    Huw Roberts wrote:
    > ianw wrote:
    >
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=81822546
    >>
    >> 66&rd=1
    >>

    > Apparently so, since it's been taken down already! What was it?
    >
    > Huw

    Erm...*cough*...that should read "apparently not", of course. Oops. :D

    Huw

    It's still there:

    "Huw Roberts" <f@ke.com> wrote in message
    > ianw wrote:
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=81822546
    >> 66&rd=1
    >>

    > Apparently so, since it's been taken down already! What was it?
    >
    > Huw

    "John E. Carty"
    > It's still there:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=8182254666&rd=1

    No, it's not legal... every freeware "license" I've ever seen expresses
    "not to be sold".

    This guy is a douche bag making money off other people's work.

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > "John E. Carty"
    >
    >>It's still there:
    >>

    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=8182254666&rd=1
    >
    > No, it's not legal... every freeware "license" I've ever seen expresses
    > "not to be sold".
    >
    > This guy is a douche bag making money off other people's work.
    >
    > Dallas

    This is interesting. I agree to a certain extent with you, Dallas.
    However, he really is performing a service for people who cannot
    download their own content or for whom it would take forever due to
    dialup connections or whatever - whether that is his actual intention or
    not.

    So, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn someone for this. Sure, he's
    probably in breach of the license agreements, but then I'm sure many of
    us here are also in breach of license agreements; how many people bother
    to register zip utilities such as winRAR, for example?

    (Disclaimer to cover my own back: I use a completely free zip utility, hehe)

    To make things a bit more local, I wouldn't have any qualms about
    burning a disc full of freeware for a friend who isn't capable of
    downloading his own. That would be a free service. However, if people
    I don't know want me to do the same for them, I might charge a fee to
    cover the costs of the discs, for example. Is that illegal? Looks like
    it. But is it wrong? I'm not so sure.

    Any thoughts?

    Huw

    > Huw Roberts wrote:
    >> ianw wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=81822546
    >>> 66&rd=1
    >>>

    >> Apparently so, since it's been taken down already! What was it?
    >>
    >> Huw
    >
    > Erm...*cough*...that should read "apparently not", of course. Oops. :D
    >
    > Huw
    Not if you use the correct link.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11051&item=8182254666&rd=1

    "Huw Roberts"
    > us here are also in breach of license agreements; how many people bother
    > to register zip utilities such as winRAR, for example?

    Sure... who amongst us doesn't have an MP3 or two on their hard drive?
    Very few I'd guess. Even having a copyrighted photo on your hard drive
    could be a breach of copyright. I wonder if anyone could pass the "Squeaky
    Clean Test".

    If you accept that premise, it becomes a grey issue as opposed to black and
    white issue. Everyone is left with the personal decision of where do I
    draw the line?

    In my value system, I see all these really nice freeware people giving away
    their work and all they ask in return is that no one violates the spirit of
    freeware by making a profit when they got nothing. No one likes to see
    nice guys get screwed.

    Legally, I don't know if the blurb freeware designers put in the readme
    constitutes a license, but I'm pretty sure it constitutes a copyright so I'd
    say the guy is violating the law.

    Dallas

    The issue here, as I see it, is the fact that this guy charges his time for
    money..
    Making a product, a DVD, containing these freeware-packages, and then he
    sells them for profit...

    A lot of the freeware-developers add a "legal stuff"-section with their
    products, that the product is freeware and cannot be charged for in any way.
    Not by downloading from pay-to-enter websites or by being included in
    commercial CD's(!)... in general, that it is not allowed to make money from
    those releases.
    Even some doesn't allow their products to be distributed, but only
    downloaded from certain sites...
    So in this act he would break the "license agreement" issued by those
    freeware-developers.

    However.. some freeware-developers actually permits to distribute the
    freeware some even specifically allows to charge for the cost distributing
    it...
    (To Dallas: that is true.. have some (at least one) on my harddrive, with
    the Readme stating that it is allowed... ;o) )
    So before he is "judged" it should be investigated if he only have included
    those products allowed to be distributed and allowed to be charged for the
    distribution...

    But.. I could have my doubts, if that should be the case.. as the majority
    of freeware license states not to be charged in any way.
    So.. deep down in my guts, it feels like it is illegal..!

    But, as to Huw's "confession" to happily to burn a disc with software.
    I do the same.. If friends ask, I happily give them a disc.. If others ask,
    I ask them to provide me the disc to be filled...
    But I would never charge money for the time used to fill it.. never...!
    However.. should they insist on making it up to me somehow, I tell them that
    I wouldn't say no to a bottle of wine.. :o)

    Regards
    Mikael K

    --
    Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)

    Dalli, I read all the comments and thought a bit. (Strange for me!!)

    This guy is not making money on any individual freeware aircraft but is
    charging for his time and material in the process of burning these
    freeware aircraft to DVD.

    If I were on dial-up I certainly would NOT download some of the great
    aircraft that weigh in at over 50Meg. That's here in the US. If I were
    in Germany on dial-up, I wouldn't even look at a freeware aircraft over
    10 to 20 Meg. I would miss out on many aircraft that great people
    created so other simmers can enjoy them. I believe the freeware creators
    would be ok with something like this.

    Now.... If the requested price for the DVD and labor were too high,
    then I'd start being suspicious.

    IMHO

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    "Huw Roberts" wrote:

    > This is interesting. I agree to a certain extent with you, Dallas.
    > However, he really is performing a service for people who cannot download
    > their own content or for whom it would take forever due to dialup
    > connections or whatever - whether that is his actual intention or not.
    >
    > So, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn someone for this. Sure, he's
    > probably in breach of the license agreements, but then I'm sure many of us
    > here are also in breach of license agreements; how many people bother to
    > register zip utilities such as winRAR, for example?
    >
    > (Disclaimer to cover my own back: I use a completely free zip utility,
    > hehe)
    >
    > To make things a bit more local, I wouldn't have any qualms about burning
    > a disc full of freeware for a friend who isn't capable of downloading his
    > own. That would be a free service. However, if people I don't know want
    > me to do the same for them, I might charge a fee to cover the costs of the
    > discs, for example. Is that illegal? Looks like it. But is it wrong?
    > I'm not so sure.

    Huw, you really have a convincing way, to make a saint out of a criminal.
    :-)
    He is charging 8 pounds. Is the postage that high in UK or the blank DVD?
    I'm with Dallas opinion.

    Jan

    boB wrote:

    > If I were on dial-up I certainly would NOT download some of the great
    > aircraft that weigh in at over 50Meg. That's here in the US. If I were
    > in Germany on dial-up, I wouldn't even look at a freeware aircraft over
    > 10 to 20 Meg. I would miss out on many aircraft that great people
    > created so other simmers can enjoy them. I believe the freeware creators
    > would be ok with something like this.

    Yeah, I believe that too.

    Something else in the seller's favour is that he's only selling one. If
    he had set up shop and started selling a quantity it would look a lot
    more dubious than it does now.

    Like I said, he probably is in the wrong, but no more wrong than someone
    who uses mIRC without registering it or someone who downloads the odd album.

    Huw

    Huw Roberts wrote:

    > Something else in the seller's favour is that he's only selling one. If
    > he had set up shop and started selling a quantity it would look a lot
    > more dubious than it does now.
    >
    > Like I said, he probably is in the wrong, but no more wrong than someone
    > who uses mIRC without registering it or someone who downloads the odd
    > album.
    >
    > Huw

    Stretching my neck out here. I don't think what he's doing is wrong and
    if he mailed out hundreds I believe the freeware authors would be happy
    that their creations could be flown by many more people than would
    otherwise happen.

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message news:5hl3e.5505$Xp.4342@tornado.texas.rr.com...
    > Huw Roberts wrote:
    >

    >> Something else in the seller's favour is that he's only selling one. If he had set up shop and started selling a
    >> quantity it would look a lot more dubious than it does now.
    >>
    >> Like I said, he probably is in the wrong, but no more wrong than someone who uses mIRC without registering it or
    >> someone who downloads the odd album.
    >>
    >> Huw
    >
    > Stretching my neck out here. I don't think what he's doing is wrong and if he mailed out hundreds I believe the
    > freeware authors would be happy that their creations could be flown by many more people than would otherwise happen.
    >
    > --
    >
    > boB
    >
    > U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    We don't have to conjecture as to how the freeware author feels. They usually state it plainly in their readme file.
    Some don't care one way or the other. Some care that it is only distributed by themselves or designated distributors.
    This may be one of them. It almost looks like this person bought this product and is just selling it.

    I am against anyone making a profit on my freeware/shareware. As it plainly states all I request is:
    "If you use this software all I ask is that you make a donation to your favorite charity, then drop me a line letting me
    know. I like to hear about people making the world a better place to live."

    I would not be against someone making a profit on my software as long as over 50% went to a charity.

    When I approached my attorney to add to his retainer to prosecute violators, and explained to him my philosophy (a
    charitable man in his own right) he said:
    "Pro Bono Carl. I'd love to go after anyone who profited on your labors in that context." At $750 an hour that's a
    very generous offer IMO.

    On another note:
    Not very many people have emailed me telling me about their donations. A few have .04%. That's not 4% that's .04% BTW.
    I guess the vast majority are so busy taking and playing they just don't have time to make the world a better place.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    The problem is that the authors provide the freeware service as 'free' and
    when doing so, why should other people charge for their efforts when their
    efforts were done in good faith. Why profit from someone else's good
    intentions is the issue when their good intensions go unrewarded.
    A small fee could cover the media and time but the contents is another field
    entirely. If I produced anything that appeared on this DVD without a penny
    or cent to show for it while others profit from it, I'd not be very happy
    with that situation.
    If he compiles this sort of thing then he should at least get the permission
    from every author that produced the contents on that DVD and my guess is
    that he didn't.

    "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    > "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
    >> Huw Roberts wrote:
    >>

    >>> Something else in the seller's favour is that he's only selling one. If
    >>> he had set up shop and started selling a quantity it would look a lot
    >>> more dubious than it does now.
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, he probably is in the wrong, but no more wrong than someone
    >>> who uses mIRC without registering it or someone who downloads the odd
    >>> album.
    >>>
    >>> Huw
    >>
    >> Stretching my neck out here. I don't think what he's doing is wrong and
    >> if he mailed out hundreds I believe the freeware authors would be happy
    >> that their creations could be flown by many more people than would
    >> otherwise happen.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> boB
    >>
    >> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    >> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
    >
    > We don't have to conjecture as to how the freeware author feels. They
    > usually state it plainly in their readme file. Some don't care one way or
    > the other. Some care that it is only distributed by themselves or
    > designated distributors. This may be one of them. It almost looks like
    > this person bought this product and is just selling it.
    >
    > I am against anyone making a profit on my freeware/shareware. As it
    > plainly states all I request is:
    > "If you use this software all I ask is that you make a donation to your
    > favorite charity, then drop me a line letting me know. I like to hear
    > about people making the world a better place to live."
    >
    > I would not be against someone making a profit on my software as long as
    > over 50% went to a charity.
    >
    > When I approached my attorney to add to his retainer to prosecute
    > violators, and explained to him my philosophy (a charitable man in his own
    > right) he said:
    > "Pro Bono Carl. I'd love to go after anyone who profited on your labors
    > in that context." At $750 an hour that's a very generous offer IMO.
    >
    > On another note:
    > Not very many people have emailed me telling me about their donations. A
    > few have .04%. That's not 4% that's .04% BTW. I guess the vast majority
    > are so busy taking and playing they just don't have time to make the world
    > a better place.
    >
    > --
    > ...Carl Frisk
    > Anger is a brief madness.
    > - Horace, 20 B.C.
    > http://www.carlfrisk.com

    Is the guy on eBay doing much more than, say, Fsplanet which has a premium
    fee for fast downloads of freeware. ie they are making money from
    distribution of freeware.

    .... there came a great "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >Sure... who amongst us doesn't have an MP3 or two on their hard drive?

    is that a new plane?
    --
    "This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
    (James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

    "Cole Turner" <remove.cole.turner@liwest.at.spambotprotection> wrote in message
    > ... there came a great "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com>
    > flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:
    >
    >>Sure... who amongst us doesn't have an MP3 or two on their hard drive?
    >
    > is that a new plane?
    > --
    > "This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
    > (James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

    I was wondering.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    Well presumably FSPlanet has the authors permission. Typically the author made it available there with readme.txt
    intact.
    I'm not sure what is on the forsale DVD's. And as I stated earlier that would be between FSPlanet and the author. As
    would it be between the DVD author (which I didn't condemn, nor have I stated that the seller is the author). This eBay
    thing may be totally legitimate, then again it may not. Selling shareware/freeware on CD's DVD's is old. And again I
    am not sure as to the source of the DVD's in this particular sale. It may be that the seller bought them at a mall and
    is simply resaleing them legitamely. One point is that we have no idea what is on the DVD's in question. The fact that
    there is not a readily available web presence to confirm what is on the DVD's is suspicious. But I'm not one to pull
    the plug on an issue that hasn't died of natural causes.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message news:dEq3e.20981$C7.13338@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

    > "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message news:dQl3e.163$%b1.60@trnddc08...

    >>> Stretching my neck out here. I don't think what he's doing is wrong and if he mailed out hundreds I believe the
    >>> freeware authors would be happy that their creations could be flown by many more people than would otherwise happen.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> boB
    >>>
    >>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
    >>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
    >>
    >> We don't have to conjecture as to how the freeware author feels. They usually state it plainly in their readme file.
    >> Some don't care one way or the other. Some care that it is only distributed by themselves or designated
    >> distributors. This may be one of them. It almost looks like this person bought this product and is just selling it.
    >>
    >> I am against anyone making a profit on my freeware/shareware. As it plainly states all I request is:
    >> "If you use this software all I ask is that you make a donation to your favorite charity, then drop me a line letting
    >> me know. I like to hear about people making the world a better place to live."
    >>
    >> I would not be against someone making a profit on my software as long as over 50% went to a charity.
    >>
    >> When I approached my attorney to add to his retainer to prosecute violators, and explained to him my philosophy (a
    >> charitable man in his own right) he said:
    >> "Pro Bono Carl. I'd love to go after anyone who profited on your labors in that context." At $750 an hour that's a
    >> very generous offer IMO.
    >>
    >> On another note:
    >> Not very many people have emailed me telling me about their donations. A few have .04%. That's not 4% that's .04%
    >> BTW. I guess the vast majority are so busy taking and playing they just don't have time to make the world a better
    >> place.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...Carl Frisk
    >> Anger is a brief madness.
    >> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >
    > Is the guy on eBay doing much more than, say, Fsplanet which has a premium fee for fast downloads of freeware. ie
    > they are making money from distribution of freeware.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Just to clarify, FSPlanet probably doesn't have the author's permission
    for anything. And authors usually don't make their files available there.
    Ferdy just leeches whatever files he wants he wants and could care less what
    an author thinks. This guy is infamous for his willingness to ignore the
    legalities of copyright and distribution in the name of profit. Virtually
    everything on that site is poached from somewhere else. The FSPlanet
    situation has been around for years now and Ferdy shows no sign changing his
    mode of operation.

    Trip

    ---------------------------------------

> [...]
    >>> violators, and explained to him my philosophy (a charitable man in his
    >>> own right) he said:
    >>> "Pro Bono Carl. I'd love to go after anyone who profited on your labors
    >>> in that context." At $750 an hour that's a very generous offer IMO.
    >>>
    >>> On another note:
    >>> Not very many people have emailed me telling me about their donations.
    >>> A few have .04%. That's not 4% that's .04% BTW. I guess the vast
    >>> majority are so busy taking and playing they just don't have time to
    >>> make the world a better place.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ...Carl Frisk
    >>> Anger is a brief madness.
    >>> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >>> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >>
    >> Is the guy on eBay doing much more than, say, Fsplanet which has a
    >> premium fee for fast downloads of freeware. ie they are making money

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

[...]

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Personally I don't think anyone (i.e. software developers) cares about the personal level of distribution of
    shareware/freeware software as long as you distribute the entire package to your 'friend'. It's when some yo-yo comes
    along and sells reproductions to the 'masses' for a profit that the problem begins. A couple of bottles of wine is
    different from $200,000 dollars. PERIOD. I know a legitimate shareware reseller who grossed over $3,000,000 last year.
    He lives on Mercer Island, one of the richest communities in the world. Bill Gates lives 5 houses over. But he is
    absolutely legitimate. He can be sued at any time. It's the fly by night rip offs that piss (and I consider that
    swearing and I never swear) us OFF. OK that is the point. Is he legit or not?

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com> wrote in message news:424e808a$0$181$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...

    > The issue here, as I see it, is the fact that this guy charges his time for
    > money..
    > Making a product, a DVD, containing these freeware-packages, and then he
    > sells them for profit...
    >
    > A lot of the freeware-developers add a "legal stuff"-section with their
    > products, that the product is freeware and cannot be charged for in any way.
    > Not by downloading from pay-to-enter websites or by being included in
    > commercial CD's(!)... in general, that it is not allowed to make money from
    > those releases.
    > Even some doesn't allow their products to be distributed, but only
    > downloaded from certain sites...
    > So in this act he would break the "license agreement" issued by those
    > freeware-developers.
    >
    > However.. some freeware-developers actually permits to distribute the
    > freeware some even specifically allows to charge for the cost distributing
    > it...
    > (To Dallas: that is true.. have some (at least one) on my harddrive, with
    > the Readme stating that it is allowed... ;o) )
    > So before he is "judged" it should be investigated if he only have included
    > those products allowed to be distributed and allowed to be charged for the
    > distribution...
    >
    > But.. I could have my doubts, if that should be the case.. as the majority
    > of freeware license states not to be charged in any way.
    > So.. deep down in my guts, it feels like it is illegal..!
    >
    > But, as to Huw's "confession" to happily to burn a disc with software.
    > I do the same.. If friends ask, I happily give them a disc.. If others ask,
    > I ask them to provide me the disc to be filled...
    > But I would never charge money for the time used to fill it.. never...!
    > However.. should they insist on making it up to me somehow, I tell them that
    > I wouldn't say no to a bottle of wine.. :o)
    >

    > Regards
    > Mikael K
    >
    > --
    > Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    doesnt flightsim.com also offer a premier membership so I can always log on,
    and they have a bandwidth limit on normal users set to about 9KB/s

    What this guy is could be legal if he gave each freeware author a %, would
    probably come to about 7 cents each

    "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > Just to clarify, FSPlanet probably doesn't have the author's
    > permission for anything. And authors usually don't make their files
    > available there. Ferdy just leeches whatever files he wants he wants and
    > could care less what an author thinks. This guy is infamous for his
    > willingness to ignore the legalities of copyright and distribution in the
    > name of profit. Virtually everything on that site is poached from
    > somewhere else. The FSPlanet situation has been around for years now and
    > Ferdy shows no sign changing his mode of operation.
    >
    > Trip
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Well presumably FSPlanet has the authors permission. Typically the
    >> author made it available there with readme.txt intact.
    >> I'm not sure what is on the forsale DVD's. And as I stated earlier that
    >> would be between FSPlanet and the author. As would it be between the DVD
    >> author (which I didn't condemn, nor have I stated that the seller is the
    >> author). This eBay thing may be totally legitimate, then again it may
    >> not. Selling shareware/freeware on CD's DVD's is old. And again I am
    >> not sure as to the source of the DVD's in this particular sale. It may
    >> be that the seller bought them at a mall and is simply resaleing them
    >> legitamely. One point is that we have no idea what is on the DVD's in
    >> question. The fact that there is not a readily available web presence to
    >> confirm what is on the DVD's is suspicious. But I'm not one to pull the
    >> plug on an issue that hasn't died of natural causes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...Carl Frisk
    >> Anger is a brief madness.
    >> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >>

    >> "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message

    >>> Is the guy on eBay doing much more than, say, Fsplanet which has a
    >>> premium fee for fast downloads of freeware. ie they are making money
    >>> from distribution of freeware.

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I feel left out that he hasn't poached me. So does my attorney. Oh well...

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:vsudnU4nVrWhE9PfRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
    > Just to clarify, FSPlanet probably doesn't have the author's permission
    > for anything. And authors usually don't make their files available there.
    > Ferdy just leeches whatever files he wants he wants and could care less what
    > an author thinks. This guy is infamous for his willingness to ignore the
    > legalities of copyright and distribution in the name of profit. Virtually
    > everything on that site is poached from somewhere else. The FSPlanet
    > situation has been around for years now and Ferdy shows no sign changing his
    > mode of operation.
    >
    > Trip
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Well presumably FSPlanet has the authors permission. Typically the author
    >> made it available there with readme.txt intact.
    >> I'm not sure what is on the forsale DVD's. And as I stated earlier that
    >> would be between FSPlanet and the author. As would it be between the DVD
    >> author (which I didn't condemn, nor have I stated that the seller is the
    >> author). This eBay thing may be totally legitimate, then again it may
    >> not. Selling shareware/freeware on CD's DVD's is old. And again I am not
    >> sure as to the source of the DVD's in this particular sale. It may be
    >> that the seller bought them at a mall and is simply resaleing them
    >> legitamely. One point is that we have no idea what is on the DVD's in
    >> question. The fact that there is not a readily available web presence to
    >> confirm what is on the DVD's is suspicious. But I'm not one to pull the
    >> plug on an issue that hasn't died of natural causes.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...Carl Frisk
    >> Anger is a brief madness.
    >> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >>

    >> "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message

    >>> Is the guy on eBay doing much more than, say, Fsplanet which has a
    >>> premium fee for fast downloads of freeware. ie they are making money
    >>> from distribution of freeware.

  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hang in there. He will... :-)

    ---------------------------

    >I feel left out that he hasn't poached me. So does my attorney. Oh
    >well...
    >
    > --
    > ...Carl Frisk
    > Anger is a brief madness.
    > - Horace, 20 B.C.
    > http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >

    > "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> Just to clarify, FSPlanet probably doesn't have the author's
    >> permission for anything. And authors usually don't make their files
    >> available there. Ferdy just leeches whatever files he wants he wants and
    >> could care less what an author thinks. This guy is infamous for his
    >> willingness to ignore the legalities of copyright and distribution in the
    >> name of profit. Virtually everything on that site is poached from
    >> somewhere else. The FSPlanet situation has been around for years now and
    >> Ferdy shows no sign changing his mode of operation.
    >>
    >> Trip
    >>
    >> ---------------------------------------
    >>
    >> "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Well presumably FSPlanet has the authors permission. Typically the
    >>> author made it available there with readme.txt intact.
    >>> I'm not sure what is on the forsale DVD's. And as I stated earlier that
    >>> would be between FSPlanet and the author. As would it be between the
    >>> DVD author (which I didn't condemn, nor have I stated that the seller is
    >>> the author). This eBay thing may be totally legitimate, then again it
    >>> may not. Selling shareware/freeware on CD's DVD's is old. And again I
    >>> am not sure as to the source of the DVD's in this particular sale. It
    >>> may be that the seller bought them at a mall and is simply resaleing
    >>> them legitamely. One point is that we have no idea what is on the DVD's
    >>> in question. The fact that there is not a readily available web
    >>> presence to confirm what is on the DVD's is suspicious. But I'm not one
    >>> to pull the plug on an issue that hasn't died of natural causes.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> ...Carl Frisk
    >>> Anger is a brief madness.
    >>> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >>> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >>>

    >>> "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:03:21 GMT, Carl Frisk wrote:

    > Well presumably FSPlanet has the authors permission. Typically the author made it available there with readme.txt
    > intact.

    No friggen way! Ferdie is a major PITA LEECH who's rather well known and
    detested in the FS world...

    Bill
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    :)

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:prGdnd7t2OeJT9PfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
    > Hang in there. He will... :-)
    >
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>I feel left out that he hasn't poached me. So does my attorney. Oh
    >>well...
    >>
    >> --
    >> ...Carl Frisk
    >> Anger is a brief madness.
    >> - Horace, 20 B.C.
    >> http://www.carlfrisk.com
    >>

    >> "Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Just to clarify, FSPlanet probably doesn't have the author's
    >>> permission for anything. And authors usually don't make their files
    >>> available there. Ferdy just leeches whatever files he wants he wants and
    >>> could care less what an author thinks. This guy is infamous for his
    >>> willingness to ignore the legalities of copyright and distribution in the
    >>> name of profit. Virtually everything on that site is poached from
    >>> somewhere else. The FSPlanet situation has been around for years now and
    >>> Ferdy shows no sign changing his mode of operation.
    >>>
    >>> Trip
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Must be why I've never been there. Probably something about the site turned me off.

    Update: Got another email about a donation yesterday! It really does feel good to see those. Makes the whole thing
    worth it. And a very worthy charity is a bit richer today because of it!

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uhedor0h9r5l.iigl5sn8g17e$.dlg@40tude.net...
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:03:21 GMT, Carl Frisk wrote:
    >
    >> Well presumably FSPlanet has the authors permission. Typically the author made it available there with readme.txt
    >> intact.
    >
    > No friggen way! Ferdie is a major PITA LEECH who's rather well known and
    > detested in the FS world...
    >
    > Bill
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Mikael K wrote:

    > But, as to Huw's "confession" to happily to burn a disc with software.
    > I do the same.. If friends ask, I happily give them a disc.. If others ask,
    > I ask them to provide me the disc to be filled...
    > But I would never charge money for the time used to fill it.. never...!
    > However.. should they insist on making it up to me somehow, I tell them that
    > I wouldn't say no to a bottle of wine.. :o)
    >

    > Regards
    > Mikael K

    Mikael, where do I send th CD? And can I get a DVD back? Do you have
    "Autobahn" from back in the 70's? :)

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On 6-Apr-2005, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote:

    > Mikael, where do I send th CD? And can I get a DVD back? Do you have
    > "Autobahn" from back in the 70's? :)

    Hi boB,

    From CD to DVD..?? Hmm.. It all depends how well the wine is enjoyed.. ;o)
    But I thought you allready had all the freeware available..
    Before your post I was actually thinking of sending YOU a DVD and a bottle
    of wine... :D

    Well.. Reading my post again, I can see I didn't made it clear that it was
    (of course) CD's with freeware... not warez or other kind of pirated
    software...
    Hope you all wasn't thinking anything else.. :o)

    Btw.. Autobahn..?? That was the German band with the hit "Model"..?
    Right?.. Think I have that on MC or LP.. I'm sure... somewhere.. hmm...
    ;o)
    Or was it MP3.. Really can't remember anymore... It was late 70's.. I wasn't
    that old back then...

    Regards
    Mikael K

    --
    Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Mikael K wrote:
    > On 6-Apr-2005, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote:
    >

    >>Mikael, where do I send th CD? And can I get a DVD back? Do you have
    >>"Autobahn" from back in the 70's? :)
    >

    > Hi boB,
    >
    > From CD to DVD..?? Hmm.. It all depends how well the wine is enjoyed.. ;o)
    > But I thought you allready had all the freeware available..
    > Before your post I was actually thinking of sending YOU a DVD and a bottle
    > of wine... :D

    Nah, every time I think I need to stop downloading all this good stuff
    and finally work on my hovering, someone posts ANOTHER web site with
    "can't do without it" scenery or aircraft.

    > Well.. Reading my post again, I can see I didn't made it clear that it was
    > (of course) CD's with freeware... not warez or other kind of pirated
    > software...
    > Hope you all wasn't thinking anything else.. :o)

    Heck no. :) I should take a screenshot of my "to do" folder. FS10
    will be out long before I get it all installed. I hope it works in FS10

    :)

    > Btw.. Autobahn..?? That was the German band with the hit "Model"..?
    > Right?.. Think I have that on MC or LP.. I'm sure... somewhere.. hmm...
    > ;o)
    > Or was it MP3.. Really can't remember anymore... It was late 70's.. I wasn't
    > that old back then...
    >
    > Regards
    > Mikael K

    I have it on LP but have no turn table. Well, in the garage I have a
    turntable, 8 track and radio "Quadraphonic" setup. circa 1973.
    Gabriella wants to throw it away but it's worth something, don't know
    what yet.

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:24:13 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
    wrote:

    >Btw.. Autobahn..?? That was the German band with the hit "Model"..?

    Kraftwork.

    James
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > I should take a screenshot of my "to do" folder. FS10
    > will be out long before I get it all installed. I hope it works in FS10
    >
    > :)

    Have you ever tried to do this calculation:

    N = n+(D-I/7)*t

    N=Number of addons on ToDO-list at FS10 release
    n=number of addons currently on ToDo-list
    D=number of addons downloaded per day
    I=number of installations done per week
    t=time in days to release of FS10

    Using these values:
    n=50
    D=2
    I=10
    t=180

    Then N = 50+(2-5/7)*180 = 281

    So... 281 addons on the ToDo-list when FS10 is released....

    Think you get it done before FS11 comes out..??
    Just replace the value of "t" with 900...

    Anyway... You loose.. :D

    Regards
    Mikael K

    --
    Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
    Home Airport: EKBI

    Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On 2005-04-07, James Hodson <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:24:13 GMT, "Mikael K" <noreply@usenet.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Btw.. Autobahn..?? That was the German band with the hit "Model"..?
    >
    > Kraftwork.

    Sorry to be pedantic but it's Kraftwerk (that's Deutsch for you).

    Justin.

    --
    Justin C by the sea.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:36:34 -0000, Justin C
    <justin.0504@purestblue.com> wrote:

    >> Kraftwork.
    >
    >Sorry to be pedantic but it's Kraftwerk (that's Deutsch for you).

    There's nothing wrong with being pedantic. Ta for the correction.

    James

Games Microsoft Video Games Product