Using qwinsta to drop terminal services sessions

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hi,

I have locked myself out of a co-located machine (win2000) which I normally
use terminal services to access. The two sessions have become disconected
(but still active), and I recieve a liscensing error if I now try to
connect.

I have tried to drop the sessions by using qwinsta and rwinsta from our
development server (win2000) but recieve the following error:

Error opening Terminal server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Error [1722]:The RPC server is unavailable.

Now the co-located machine is behind a firewall, but has port 3389 opened up
for terminal services access from our IP. Does qwinsta use any other ports?

One thing I do not understand about these two tools is authentication.
There is no optoin to enter a username password to get the query
information - does this mean that it will only work in a trust relationship
(the two machine are on unrelated domains) or qwinsta normally just offer
this information to anyone who asks?

Thanks for any info
3 answers Last reply
More about using qwinsta drop terminal services sessions
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

    Sosh,
    If the user acccount that runs qwinsta/rwinsta that is not known to the
    remote machine, then you need to setup a 'trust' relationship. One way to to
    it is run net use \\remoteMachine before running qwinsta/rwinsta
    hope it helps

    Thanks
    Soo Kuan

    "sosh" <sosh@something.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have locked myself out of a co-located machine (win2000) which I
    > normally
    > use terminal services to access. The two sessions have become disconected
    > (but still active), and I recieve a liscensing error if I now try to
    > connect.
    >
    > I have tried to drop the sessions by using qwinsta and rwinsta from our
    > development server (win2000) but recieve the following error:
    >
    > Error opening Terminal server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > Error [1722]:The RPC server is unavailable.
    >
    > Now the co-located machine is behind a firewall, but has port 3389 opened
    > up
    > for terminal services access from our IP. Does qwinsta use any other
    > ports?
    >
    > One thing I do not understand about these two tools is authentication.
    > There is no optoin to enter a username password to get the query
    > information - does this mean that it will only work in a trust
    > relationship
    > (the two machine are on unrelated domains) or qwinsta normally just offer
    > this information to anyone who asks?
    >
    > Thanks for any info

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

    Thanks for the info Soo.

    I've set up an exact copy of the production admin account on the dev server,
    but still get the error. I used a packet sniffer, and it seems that qwinsta
    is trying to communicate on port 445. I'll get that opened up for our IP
    and cross my fingers.

    "Soo Kuan Teo [MSFT]" <sookuant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sosh,
    > If the user acccount that runs qwinsta/rwinsta that is not known to the
    > remote machine, then you need to setup a 'trust' relationship. One way to
    > it is run net use \\remoteMachine before running qwinsta/rwinsta
    > hope it helps
    >
    > Thanks
    > Soo Kuan

    rights.

    > "sosh" <sosh@something.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have locked myself out of a co-located machine (win2000) which I
    > > normally
    > > use terminal services to access. The two sessions have become
    disconected
    > > (but still active), and I recieve a liscensing error if I now try to
    > > connect.
    > >
    > > I have tried to drop the sessions by using qwinsta and rwinsta from our
    > > development server (win2000) but recieve the following error:
    > >
    > > Error opening Terminal server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > > Error [1722]:The RPC server is unavailable.
    > >
    > > Now the co-located machine is behind a firewall, but has port 3389
    opened
    > > up
    > > for terminal services access from our IP. Does qwinsta use any other
    > > ports?
    > >
    > > One thing I do not understand about these two tools is authentication.
    > > There is no optoin to enter a username password to get the query
    > > information - does this mean that it will only work in a trust
    > > relationship
    > > (the two machine are on unrelated domains) or qwinsta normally just
    offer
    > > this information to anyone who asks?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info

  3. Damn! net use \\serverName actually allows a trusted relationship btw the client and host.

    using: qwinsta /server:serverName queries rdp sessions... and finally
    rwinsta 1 /server:serverName to terminate the target session; where 1 is the session No.

    Thanks folks! Now i will never worry about being locked out of an rdp session!

Terminal Windows