A question about connecting remotely...

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 8, 2005 8:04:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hello,

Our company website, mail, and ftp are on a co-located computer (not in
our office) running Windows Server 2003. I occasionally have to connect
to the machine remotely to manage IIS or mail settings, or whatever....
Anyway, I can no longer connect to this machine with an error stating
"local computer's client access license could not be upgraded or renewed."

We just set the box up to the specs with very little knowledge about the
OS settings themselves. Any suggestions on where I should start to
restore my access? I am generally the only one who has to administer the
site, and I access it from different computers.

Thank You,

NUZZI

More about : question connecting remotely

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:04:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Looks like the person who set up the machine had experience from
W2K servers and didn't read the "What's new on Windows Server
2003" documentation...

In W2K, you had to install Terminal Services and then choose
"Remote Administration mode" to be able to remotely access a server
without additional licensing requirements.
This has been changed in Windows Server 2003. You should *not*
install Terminal Services at all, since that implies "Application
Server mode", which requires a TS Licensing Server and TS CALs for
every connecting device or user.

What you have to do now to solve your problem is to uninstall
Terminal Services completely and enable "Temote Desktop for
Adminitsrtaion". You do this in Control Panel - System - Remote,
just like on XP.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

Nuzzi <web@nuzzi.net.nospam> wrote on 08 mar 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> Hello,
>
> Our company website, mail, and ftp are on a co-located computer
> (not in our office) running Windows Server 2003. I
> occasionally have to connect to the machine remotely to manage
> IIS or mail settings, or whatever.... Anyway, I can no longer
> connect to this machine with an error stating "local computer's
> client access license could not be upgraded or renewed."
>
> We just set the box up to the specs with very little knowledge
> about the OS settings themselves. Any suggestions on where I
> should start to restore my access? I am generally the only one
> who has to administer the site, and I access it from different
> computers.
>
> Thank You,
>
> NUZZI
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:02:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:05:07 -0800, Vera Noest [MVP]
<vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote:

Thank You very much Vera! I will try it tomorrow on a machine I can still
connect from :-)

NUZZI