w2k3 and w2k terminal services displays ""Terminal Server ..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 10, 2005 7:57:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

We currently have the above issue occurring sporadically. Some servers use
the default admin, 2 user terminal services and others use a 5 user licence.
The problem has become very critical.

The servers accept connections and then all of a sudden they begin refusing
connections. The strange thing is they all seem to go at the same time (6 at
the same time) Takes a few days before the rejections begin.

Currently the only way we have to fix it is to reboot the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Anything in the EventLog on these servers?
Do you get an error message when you are disconnected?

Could you be a bit more specific about your licensing situation?
What do you mean by "use the default admin"?
As I understand it, you have at least 2 Terminal Servers (a W2K and
a 2003), and at least 6 connecting users. That means that you must
have at least 1 2003 TS Licensing server activated, with TS CALs,
or possibly both a W2K and a 2003 TS Licensing Server.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Master Browser" <terminal.services@iinet.net.au> wrote on 10 mar
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> We currently have the above issue occurring sporadically. Some
> servers use the default admin, 2 user terminal services and
> others use a 5 user licence. The problem has become very
> critical.
>
> The servers accept connections and then all of a sudden they
> begin refusing connections. The strange thing is they all seem
> to go at the same time (6 at the same time) Takes a few days
> before the rejections begin.
>
> Currently the only way we have to fix it is to reboot the
> server.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:49:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

It's not really a disconnect that occurs its more of an issue connecting
after a certain period of time, usually a few days (around 4days etc).

Nothing is logged in the eventvwr to identify what could be occurring.
Server is running fine except for the terminal services. Using TCPView on
the server, Terminal services appears to be still listening on port 3389.
Have logged onto the server(s) locally when the problem occurs and can see
nothing unusual. Have run NetMon and captured when the problem exists and
again when connection works fine. To compare. Results don't really show much

By default admin I mean the default 2 user terminal services connection
allowed by default on a 2000 or 2003 server.

Each of the 6 servers runs it's own Terminal services licence. 2 other
servers (ones 2003 and ones 2000) use the admin connection which I believe
is limited to 2 connections.

I've searched google and ms kb, can't find anything that directly relates to
the problems we are seeing. Next step i'm being told is to utilise the
keyboard crash dump. See;

Thanks for your reply

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Anything in the EventLog on these servers?
> Do you get an error message when you are disconnected?
>
> Could you be a bit more specific about your licensing situation?
> What do you mean by "use the default admin"?
> As I understand it, you have at least 2 Terminal Servers (a W2K and
> a 2003), and at least 6 connecting users. That means that you must
> have at least 1 2003 TS Licensing server activated, with TS CALs,
> or possibly both a W2K and a 2003 TS Licensing Server.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Master Browser" <terminal.services@iinet.net.au> wrote on 10 mar
> 2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>
> > We currently have the above issue occurring sporadically. Some
> > servers use the default admin, 2 user terminal services and
> > others use a 5 user licence. The problem has become very
> > critical.
> >
> > The servers accept connections and then all of a sudden they
> > begin refusing connections. The strange thing is they all seem
> > to go at the same time (6 at the same time) Takes a few days
> > before the rejections begin.
> >
> > Currently the only way we have to fix it is to reboot the
> > server.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
March 12, 2005 4:45:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

OK, let me try to summarize, to check if I got it right:

* 2 servers are not really terminal servers, you just use Remote
(Desktop for) Administration to connect
* 6 servers are "real" Terminal Servers (implying Application
server mode). They each run their own TS Licensing Services, with 5
TS CALs each. This is an unusual setup (why not combine all
licenses in a single TS Licensing Server?), but should not cause
your problem.
* everything is OK for around 4 days, then the problem starts, and
it starts SIMULTANEOUSLY on all 6 servers which are running
Terminal Services.

Is the above correct? Especially the last point?
When this happens, can you still connect to the 2 servers with
Remote Administration?

This sounds really weird, and I think we have to focus on the 4 day
period between booting the servers and the occurrence of the
problem. One thing that comes to mind is an application which leaks
memory over time, but that doesn't fit with the fact that this
happens simultaneously on all 6 servers.
Is there anything in your network happening with this kind of time
interval? How is the IPconfig of your servers? Do they have a fixed
IPnumber?

--

"Master Browser" <terminal.services@iinet.net.au> wrote on 11 mar
2005 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

> It's not really a disconnect that occurs its more of an issue
> connecting after a certain period of time, usually a few days
> (around 4days etc).
>
> Nothing is logged in the eventvwr to identify what could be
> occurring. Server is running fine except for the terminal
> services. Using TCPView on the server, Terminal services appears
> to be still listening on port 3389. Have logged onto the
> server(s) locally when the problem occurs and can see nothing
> unusual. Have run NetMon and captured when the problem exists
> and again when connection works fine. To compare. Results don't
> really show much
>
> By default admin I mean the default 2 user terminal services
> connection allowed by default on a 2000 or 2003 server.
>
> Each of the 6 servers runs it's own Terminal services licence. 2
> other servers (ones 2003 and ones 2000) use the admin connection
> which I believe is limited to 2 connections.
>
> I've searched google and ms kb, can't find anything that
> directly relates to the problems we are seeing. Next step i'm
> being told is to utilise the keyboard crash dump. See;
>

> Thanks for your reply
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Anything in the EventLog on these servers?
>> Do you get an error message when you are disconnected?
>>
>> Could you be a bit more specific about your licensing
>> situation? What do you mean by "use the default admin"?
>> As I understand it, you have at least 2 Terminal Servers (a W2K
>> and a 2003), and at least 6 connecting users. That means that
>> you must have at least 1 2003 TS Licensing server activated,
>> with TS CALs, or possibly both a W2K and a 2003 TS Licensing
>> Server.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Master Browser" <terminal.services@iinet.net.au> wrote on 10
>> mar 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:
>>
>> > We currently have the above issue occurring sporadically.
>> > Some servers use the default admin, 2 user terminal services
>> > and others use a 5 user licence. The problem has become very
>> > critical.
>> >
>> > The servers accept connections and then all of a sudden they
>> > begin refusing connections. The strange thing is they all
>> > seem to go at the same time (6 at the same time) Takes a few
>> > days before the rejections begin.
>> >
>> > Currently the only way we have to fix it is to reboot the
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:42:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

yes your on the right path. I'll go through each of your points;

* Correct
* Correct. Not possible to combine them. Each of the 6 servers is in its own
DMZ and workgroup. ie unable to see each other :-)
* Correct. I'm not sure if 4 days is the exact time however the strange
thing is they all seem to go at the same time. Sometimes and only sometimes
maybe one will not be affected and the one that isn't affected out of the
group of 6 can change (its random). Could be due to the reboot times not
sure.

No, connections through terminal services to the Remote Admin mode servers
is lost also.

Yes it is weird. I've been investigating the differences in our builds,
patch levels etc...We are currently investigating the possibility of a
Computer Assoc....product causing the issue. It's the only common
application on each server. Firewalls have been ruled out, after the issue
occurs your still able to telnet port 3389 and get a connection. Just
doesn't work through Terminal Services.

IP's on each server are static.

I've configured one of the servers to allow a user invoked complete memory
dump.

PS two servers running admin mode are on our public network not in DMZ's
like the above 6. They are also part of a domain.

Thanks for your response.

> [...]
> >> Anything in the EventLog on these servers?
> >> Do you get an error message when you are disconnected?
> >>
> >> Could you be a bit more specific about your licensing
> >> situation? What do you mean by "use the default admin"?
> >> As I understand it, you have at least 2 Terminal Servers (a W2K
> >> and a 2003), and at least 6 connecting users. That means that
> >> you must have at least 1 2003 TS Licensing server activated,
> >> with TS CALs, or possibly both a W2K and a 2003 TS Licensing
> >> Server.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Vera Noest
> >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
> >>
> >> "Master Browser" <terminal.services@iinet.net.au> wrote on 10
> >> mar 2005 in
> >> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity:

March 14, 2005 12:42:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

I'am at a loss. Common sense suggests that it must be a network
problem which ends the connection, but since you are able to telnet
to port 3389, you should also be able to reconnect with rdp.
I assume that the status of the rdp-tcp connection in TS Manager is
still "listening", not "down"?
Sorry, I'm out of ideas at the moment. PLease post again if you
find anything more from the memory dump.

--

"Master Browser" <terminal.services@iinet.net.au> wrote on 13 mar
> [...]

>> > occurring. Server is running fine except for the terminal
>> > services. Using TCPView on the server, Terminal services
>> > appears to be still listening on port 3389. Have logged onto
>> > the server(s) locally when the problem occurs and can see
>> > nothing unusual. Have run NetMon and captured when the
>> > problem exists and again when connection works fine. To
>> > compare. Results don't really show much
>> >
>> > By default admin I mean the default 2 user terminal services
>> > connection allowed by default on a 2000 or 2003 server.
>> >
>> > Each of the 6 servers runs it's own Terminal services
>> > licence. 2 other servers (ones 2003 and ones 2000) use the
>> > admin connection which I believe is limited to 2 connections.
>> >
>> > I've searched google and ms kb, can't find anything that
>> > directly relates to the problems we are seeing. Next step i'm
>> > being told is to utilise the keyboard crash dump. See;

March 15, 2005 12:28:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Yep I'll keep you posted. Where just waiting now for the problem to occur
again.

One thing I did miss is that we have tried, in rdp-tcp connection
configuration disabling it and re-enabling it. Didn't fix the problem
though.

!